Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

rryder 01-15-2018 08:22 PM

That looks really good Amy, your colors allow the secondary patterns to pop and the sashing creates yet another layer of interest!

It was interesting to read your description of twisting lumpy seams as I’m already seeing some of this in my blocks even though I’ve followed BHs pressing directions- I think it may be unavoidable because of the sheer number of seams in each block. My solution in this situation is usually to either heavily starch and then press them flat with the twist in place, or to clip the twisted seams and press on either side of the clipped spot in the direction it wants to go. For areas where many seams come together, forming a lump, I’ve been known to take a hammer to them- a couple of good whacks will usually smash them flat enough so that they don’t create problems during quilting.

I still need to finish 20 more blocks, give or take a couple before I need to make a decision on layout- thought I’d be finished withthe blocks by now, but have not gotten much sewing done as itks been a very difficult, stressful week. Hopefully next week will be better.

Rob

kristakz 01-15-2018 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have finished my 1st top "Christmas on Ringo Lake". This one is almost Bonnie's design - I just added the green triangles in the setting triangle pieces. I really wanted those green boxes to be finished.

The quilt uses 32 blocks - the other 18 will go into a charity project with a different setting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587156[/ATTACH]

joe'smom 01-15-2018 08:59 PM

Krista, I think that's the most ideal version I've seen, meaning that the pattern is crystal clear. It's beautiful! My eye is able to find both blocks with ease. I think the relative brightness of the red really helps here.

It's been so interesting seeing the versions and trying to figure out what colors and values work best with this pattern. I think Bonnie's design with the sashing is very sophisticated, and I'm sorry it didn't work with my colors and scrappiness. I wonder if someone who wasn't familiar with this pattern would be able to identify the block in your quilt.

sewbizgirl 01-15-2018 09:29 PM

Me too... not planning to do the next mystery, but that's what I said the last couple of times too. This one just burned me out tho. I think maybe because I pushed myself to get it done, rather than take my time and enjoy the process.

Love your Christmas version of the quilt, Krista! :thumbup:

kristakz 01-15-2018 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7983824)
Krista, I think that's the most ideal version I've seen, meaning that the pattern is crystal clear. It's beautiful! My eye is able to find both blocks with ease. I think the relative brightness of the red really helps here.

Thanks Lisa! I was thrilled with how the colour arrangement fell. I wanted a Christmas quilt that wasn't "in your face Christmassy", and it worked out perfectly.

rryder 01-16-2018 05:02 AM

That’s lovely Krista, I agree that it does an excellent job of clearly showing all the patterns formed by the blocks and sashing, and I like that you figured out how to finish those those green boxes. :thumbup:

KalamaQuilts 01-16-2018 07:09 AM

I would *love* to see the back of one of Bonnie's quilts. Mine back is a hot mess; I know no one sees it but lumps like this that make me want to use a poly batting to absorb the lumpiness.
[/QUOTE]
Amy, all the quilts in Bonnie's books include an image of the back of each quilt

Blue Bell 01-16-2018 07:29 AM

Krista, Your quilt is lovely. Great choice of fabrics.

Pagzz 01-16-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7983992)
I would *love* to see the back of one of Bonnie's quilts. Mine back is a hot mess; I know no one sees it but lumps like this that make me want to use a poly batting to absorb the lumpiness.

Amy, all the quilts in Bonnie's books include an image of the back of each quilt[/QUOTE]

Kalama,

I think she means the back of the pieced top, not the finished quilt.

I agree mine is lumpy and I intend to press it into submission...or get a hammer.

Peggy

sewbizgirl 01-16-2018 09:19 AM

Try spinning seams wherever you can to reduce bulk at intersections. It's amazing.