Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 11-14-2017 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 7944020)
These are the colors I think I will use. I am substituting charcoal grey/black for the browns and purple/lavender for the melon/salmon. I know Bonnie's colors are complementary turquoise/melon and mine are not. Opinions welcome

Such lovely color choices, Pagzz!

NZquilter 11-14-2017 01:20 PM

In our house the living room, dining room, toy room and sewing room are all in one huge area! I try (note try!) to keep it clean but I'm not sure who makes more of a mess, the kids toys or mama's toys.

Bluebonnets 11-14-2017 01:37 PM

My closet has fabric spilling out of it, my sewing and ironing is in my bedroom, my cutting area is my dining room table, and hand quilting in the livingroom. I wonder if I would actually use a sewing room, I think I would.

Carol in WI 11-14-2017 03:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh Goodness Ladies, but I need help! The more fabric choices I see and the now that I my paint chips, I'm in more of a quandary. These are fabrics that I really like, but....Could the peacock print really fit in? Please be free to steer me in the right direction.

Kassaundra 11-14-2017 04:13 PM

I would use the peacock fabric as a border. Bonnie's pieces are usually small, that print is large and won't read as the same color when cut small (some teal, some brown some green some peach etc...) I used that fabric in my first OBW quilt.

Originally Posted by Carol in WI (Post 7944158)
Oh Goodness Ladies, but I need help! The more fabric choices I see and the now that I my paint chips, I'm in more of a quandary. These are fabrics that I really like, but....Could the peacock print really fit in? Please be free to steer me in the right direction.

Carsey 11-14-2017 05:55 PM

Kristijoy: My daughter's name is Kristi Leigh. I love that spelling. So does she!!

givio 11-14-2017 06:13 PM

Carol in WI, I'd say that the peacock fabric would be nice in the back. If you don't have much of it, then just make a pieced back. If you cut it up for the top, it will be like adding green, so where would you use it? It can't be the turquoise, and it can't be the coral, and it can't be the brown. You could try to use it for the neutral with some other greens, but you might not like that, because as Kassaundra indicates (and I agree with her) you'll lose the design of the peacock when you cut it up. Or, if you don't like the print, and you are thinking about using it in order to cut it up-- then I'd eliminate the turquoise fabrics, and in their place use green fabrics (similar to the greens in the peacock fabric). You really have 4 colors, and you only need 3 (plus the neutrals that Bonnie asks for, which seem to be intended for the background).

joe'smom 11-14-2017 06:31 PM

Carol, the peacock fabric is beautiful! I agree that it would probably have to be either a border or backing, unless it turns out that there is a large-ish piece somewhere in the block or sashing design. We had those block centers in Allietare, and the big cornerstones in Grand Illusion.

All of my mystery fabrics are pressed! Now to see what I can get done on other projects before the first clue comes out.

Kaye 11-15-2017 05:15 AM

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

sewbizgirl 11-15-2017 05:31 AM

I agree with Kass' suggestion to use the peacock fabric as a border. It ties all the colors together so nicely.

Welcome aboard, Kaye!