Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

sewbizgirl 11-03-2017 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7936851)
Trying to go totally with stash. The other options I posted (in the En Provence thread) required shopping. I'm thinking about one of these. I was wanted to use gold but that's not happening, again not enough in stash. Not sure about either one of these. The one with tan might work if I use a really light background, all one fabric, possibly the one the stacks are sitting on.

I love your first color palette! How could you go wrong with those beautiful fabrics? I was also thinking of going with a more true blue, rather than aqua... and some sort of red instead of the coral.

Macybaby 11-03-2017 05:15 AM

As to rulers, I already have the easy angle and companion angle, and use them for a lot of cutting.

I'm not sure about the folded corner one though. I've been cutting the squares, then lining them up on the cutting board to cut off the corner where the "covered corner" will go. The easy angle works perfect to cut the pieces that get sewn to the larger block. I don't worry about the dog ears, I trim them off as I go.

I'll check at my LQS (only have one) and see if they've got the corner ruler. The last two times I wanted rulers for a BH mystery - they had them. They didn't plan it that way . . .

retiredteacher09 11-03-2017 05:39 AM

Thanks NZQuilter for starting this thread.

I am leaning towards doing only 1/2 of the units but that may change.

Macybaby: I was thinking of checking my LQS also for the Folded Corners tool. I will need to problem solve how you cut the corners and then use the Easy Angle tool for those covered corners. (I think I wrote that correctly.)

I have the Easy Angle tool and the Companion along with a small group of dies for my die cutting machine so I will probably wait for the clue that needs the Folded Corner tool and see if I can get by without it.

Connie

toverly 11-03-2017 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7936855)
I'm probably going to do a small one this time... but not in aqua and coral. Midwest color schemes are not my cup of tea. I'll keep the warm browns and neutrals, but sub two other colors to go with them.

That's it sewbizgirl, the browns remind me of the Midwest. We Mississippi girls have mostly red clay dirt. I keep thinking of Florida Sunsets where the ski is opal colors. Maybe a dark blue will do for the contrast. I love seeing everyone's pulls. Today I get the paint chips.

Battle Axe 11-03-2017 06:10 AM

I have all the rulers. But my favorite is "Fit to be Geese". It's just for flying geese, about 4 different sizes. I got it from Debbie McInnis Thompson in Washington state. I had to get a special lesson on how to use it as I don't see some colors, but she helped me and now I can use it well.

I use the Doug Leko ruler a lot when slicing those corners off and it does save fabric. Sort of depends on the instructions and what the finished piece is. I have a lot less "do overs" when I use the ruler.

quiltinglady-1 11-03-2017 06:20 AM

I like the black also. A friend of mine is changing her colors because she doesn't like browns.
I'm not sure if I'll be making it this year, but will download the pattern. Good luck with yours. I look forward to seeing everyone's finished quilts.

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7936704)
This year I like Bonnie's colors better then any other year, however I am wanting to use my stash, so these are the two options I am thinking about. (Oh I had to add another aqua since that one piece wasn't big enough but I didn't get any new pics taken)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583301[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583302[/ATTACH]
Think I'm leaning heavily towards the black print instead of the deep blue.

Bluebonnets 11-03-2017 06:23 AM

I am also planning to join this mystery. I had determined last year that I would do this years mystery in civil war prints. So, although I really like Bonnie's colors I think I'm going to stay with that. I did find some civil war aquas and teals but I think I'll go with rusty reds for the coral. Gotta go to the LQS today and finish gathering.

This is will be my third Bonnie Hunter mystery and it's such fun to do on the Quiltingboard. Thanks for starting this thread.

Kassaundra 11-03-2017 06:53 AM

I know myself and I hate the tediousness of making the same block over and over. So I make the BH mystery as the clues come out w/ all the excitement of everyone doing their reveals of each step b/c w/o that I would never get it finished. This will be my 3rd, I only watched (thankfully) for the Grand Illusion. For Altierre I made all the clues, for En Provence I made 2/3rds, I am planning on 2/3rds again for Ringo Lake.

joe'smom 11-03-2017 08:00 AM

Bluebonnets, I look forward to seeing your civil war prints -- I find them so fascinating, and that's what I lean toward when buying fabric these days.

I've ordered the folded corner ruler, and plan to use the Easy Angle and Companion ruler again this year. I don't know yet if I'll try to keep up, or just make a few units each week to learn the ropes. I was also thinking 2/3 to 3/4 of the units.

NZquilter 11-03-2017 08:00 AM

I did the 2/3 size last year too, Kass. (Or was it 3/4? I don't remember!) This year I will be doing full size. 75" x90" is my comfort zone size:)