Quilt Challenge!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Please stop me. Ive been working digently on 1 of my UFOs I'm now quilting on with 3-4 more to go. BUT I've found a beautiful easy Christmas quilt I could do on the machine by Christmas. Please stop me before I have another UFO
: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :roll: :roll:
Old 08-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Oh my, this subject is still bringing in ideas and wonderful quilts. Now it must be my turn to get creative with two baskets, one stuffed drawer, and a plastic bag full of my scraps, strings and crumbs of fabric. You gals have just inspired me to get with it so with the temperatures and humidity carrying a warning of staying inside this week for Missouri, I think I will head to the basement sewing room and stay there making scrap quilts. I like the sounds of the Depression Block several posts ago by juliasb, and, although I have not done a quilt-as-you-go, her method sounds interesting since I have several small pieces of batting saved too. I guess my first step would be to separate my good Modas and Thimbleberries from my lessor quality fabrics; then divide to lighter and darker piles; and, finally just go for it. Smiling here because I can just see our dog or grandchild coming running into the piles and playing leapfrog!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Hi! I do not know if this is a great idea or not, but I just found a way to get chepa novelty fabric. I went to Goodwill, and I bought two scrub tops that were in very good condition. They has very cute prints on them, and they are all cotton.

I bought them with this week's special color for the tag, so they were half off so only a few dollars. I bought them extra large so I can get the most fabric for th emoney. Maybe this will help us with affording our scrappy fabrics!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Oh, and I don't know that this will encourage or discourage people, but let's donate these somehow. Or keep them. Entirely up to the individual, but I think I would more motivated if my scrap quilt went to build a charity or put a smile on a family member. If you really love it though, please keep it! I'm easy! :D Just have fun! Great idea, Wendy! Recycling is so 2008!
Has anyone thought of donating a quilt to our soldiers?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Funny you should ask. I belong to a guild in the San Diego area and we donate monthly to wounded solders. We have several friendship groups that work on them and we have dozens and dozens that we have made. They are usually 48 by 60 and have a sewn and embrodered pocket on the front 12 inches from the top to hold cell phones and mps players as well as a book. Many of our wounder soldiers are in the hospital and undergoing several surgeries over 2 or 3 years and these hel keep them warm in the cool hospital as well as wrapping them in some love and hugs from those of us that give our thanks to them in this way.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 AM

When my daughter and her boyfriend got together, I gained three grandchildren. They were each able to 'shop' in Nana's sewing room and come up with fabrics that they would like in their quilt; and we only had a few arguments between the two girls as to who was getting a certain material. Then they looked through my many books and picked out the type of pattern they wanted for their quilt - all without leaving the comfort of my home!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Hello, it is me again (from five posts above)with a progress report. I got my scraps sorted in a small way and found I had a nice pile of Christmas fabrics first. Therefore, I stripped 13 quilted fronts to Christmas boots for the children at the battered women's center in our county. These boots are part of my Guild's project and are approximately 12x24 inches. Will not take too much to get these completed and start on more stash reducing scrap quilts. Photo below is of several boots I finished up last month.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94989.jpe  
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 AM

Those are sooooooooo cute! What a great idea! I participated in a 'Round Robin' at my local quilting guild. It was made all from scraps and pieces of material that I already had here at the house. I've gotten the final product back and it's up to me to put it together as I see fit. I'm going to donate the quilt as a Quilt of Valor to one of our wounded soldiers. I need to read up on it and make sure that it qualifies.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM

what is the easist way, (getting to old to crawl around on the floor)to bind a quilt without puckering on the back is there a frame that will hold all three together, when I start to sew? it bunchs up on the back HELP!! Hubby is real handy maybe built something to keep it all tight when pinning?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Please please check out Sharon Schambers video on utube Its free and i tworks. I quit qluilting brcause I hated the hassel of basting.This is quick and I now quilt sitting at the table or where ever because it holds so well