Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks, Mary. I'm ready to wrap it up and move back onto my Pony Club blocks. Gotta get a few quilts quilted first.

I'm sure this group will most likely do another Piecing the Past QAL together. When was her next one supposed to start?
I would definitely be interested if there is another quilt that appeals to me. You have all been wonderful, fun and so supportive. I hope that most would return if there is another pattern.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 AM

I certainly would !! I have just one block to do -- but behind this week as we are looking after two of our grand children ! Just made cakes this afternoon.
I love following Block of the Weeks - having made a Dear Jane, Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and Loyal Union Sampler following one !
Certainly happy to carry on with another one.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Anna. This has been a fun thread with lots of support. I have really enjoyed making the quilt blocks and seeing others. If anyone starts another bow please post a link here so we all can continue on together. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Being on this thread was very helpful to get them done. I really need to thank everyone for keeping me on track.
You've made some beautiful blocks, Anna. Wish I could help you enlarge the quilt but I guess what I'd do is just lay the blocks out in a way that was pleasing to me, probably enlarging the layout in the pattern. Looking forward to seeing your big, big quilt!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Right now I have 59 blocks from the Rest and Refreshing patterns. Does anyone know how many I would need, for a Cal King 115 inches or 120 inches quilt, if I add the sashing and put them on point? I will probably just add a plain border 6 inches or so.

For some reason I think I might need 61 blocks but then I might be totally off too. I do not mind some extra blocks so I will still make three of each of the remaining blocks I still have to go.
The diagonal measurement of a 10" block is 14 1/8 inches. Would depend on what size the sashing is. I'd start by using 120" and deducting 12" for borders; so now you have 108" to fill. 7 blocks x 7 blocks would be 49 blocks. Rounding up 14 1/8 to 14.25 would be 7x14.25=99.75 then add the sashing measurements. I'm not sure but I think you will probably only need 49 blocks. Janet
Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

OMG Just Jan ,....... How do you know all of that. My head is spinning after all that. LOL. I would have to do what Bonnie suggested and hope for the best. ( That's what borders are for right??? )
Old 08-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
OMG Just Jan ,....... How do you know all of that. My head is spinning after all that. LOL. I would have to do what Bonnie suggested and hope for the best. ( That's what borders are for right??? )
Thanks, LOL. I just look up the diagonal measurement of the block then work backwards... Start with the desired finished size, deduct for borders, then fill in the blanks with blocks. Problem with this one is I don't know what size sashing she will be using. But yes, then you adjust it with changing the size of the borders or adding more borders if you like. (I'd be lost without the internet and calculator!)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Thanks, LOL. I just look up the diagonal measurement of the block then work backwards... Start with the desired finished size, deduct for borders, then fill in the blanks with blocks. Problem with this one is I don't know what size sashing she will be using. But yes, then you adjust it with changing the size of the borders or adding more borders if you like. (I'd be lost without the internet and calculator!)
I am thinking of 2 1/2 inch unfinished sashing.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:18 PM

I am thinking of 2 1/2 inch unfinished sashing.
OK. I'll figure it for you tomorrow. I've been up since 6 this morning and now its 10:15 PM. I'm too tired to do it now without making mistakes. I'm going to bed and will do the math in the morning. Janet
Old 08-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Since last week I got two different types of blocks done. I made 4 from one and 3 from the other.

I have 3 more types to go from the Rest and Refreshing pattern. Hopefully I get to post some pictures soon.

Right now I have 59 blocks from the Rest and Refreshing patterns. Does anyone know how many I would need, for a Cal King 115 inches or 120 inches quilt, if I add the sashing and put them on point?

I will probably just add a plain border 6 inches or so.

For some reason I think I might need 61 blocks but then I might be totally off too. I do not mind some extra blocks so I will still make three of each of the remaining blocks I still have to go.
Assuming 2" sashing between the blocks, a 2" stop border, then a 6" large final border, and a 1" binding you will end up with a quilt 119.5" square. Guess what? You were right with the 61 blocks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10 inch on point king EQ.pdf (1.36 MB, 135 views)