Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap those scrap mounds

I love scrappy quilts so yes, I want to join in too. I love making string quilts and have just started crazy quilting (loving that), and also working on diamonds are forever (I think that's what it is called; Bonnie Hunter) all using my scraps. I have two tubs of strings I'm working with. Love all those quilts everyone has posted; really beautiful.

pal
    Macybaby, those are scrap quilts???? Every one of them is better than anything thing I've ever planned and done.

Woe is me.........You are extremely talented! That first black quilt knocked my sox off.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Macybaby, really LOVE what your striped fabric does to your first quilt shown. All the scrap quilts are great! I'm also known as the scrap queen -- will always take another quilters'scraps. It's better than my birthday to see what others have used. The owner of our LQS also saves scraps for me (I do work there part time). I am joining in but may need more time than 6 months. LOL!!

Linda in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    It has been hinted to in this thread but I want to say it out loud. Where do all of those scraps come from? I have not purchased fabric for a specific quilt in 2 years, other than backing. Yet, my scraps keep growing. I have cut scraps into standard usable cuts and the scraps keep multiplying. I now have the reputation in my guild as the scrap quilt member. HELP! I really would like to make a quilt out of new fabric chosen for that person and that quilt but can't justify the cost when I have so much fabric on hand in the form of scraps. Perhaps it is elves working in my sewing room "cutting up" and leaving scraps behind. You bet I will join. I have one bin that I would like to clear out this year. Hi-ho away we go to minimize to the maximum.
    Scraps come from your stash, too. As you use stash fabric to make quilts, you make new scraps. And if you get the reputation as the stash quilter in your guild, the ladies will bring you bags of scraps! Ask me how I know...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those scraps will take up so much less room if you periodically cut them into useable sizes: 10", 5", 2.5" and 2.5" strips. I use those plastic stacking drawers to store mine in. Scraps are great to have. Don't be in any rush to get rid of them.

I love all the beautiful scrap quilts that have been posted here!

I'm quilting a scrappy string quilt with piano key border today. I'm loving it a lot! And all the scraps were given to me by a fellow group (guild) member.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

What gorgeous quilts!!!!!!!!! You've all made beauties!! I don't keep scraps but I should

I too am working on using scraps because they do multiply at night. Working on a string quilt as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Scraps come from your stash, too. As you use stash fabric to make quilts, you make new scraps. And if you get the reputation as the stash quilter in your guild, the ladies will bring you bags of scraps! Ask me how I know...
    Oh, I know how that works, very guild meeting someone passes a plastic bag to me with orphans than need good home. Want to finish one this summer to prove to the gals that I do use their donations. But.... why me?

Blog Entries
    Oh I know what you mean....to the gals who have donated a lot of really nice fabric I make little quilts as a thank you. These are good friends of mine and they are happy to receive the little something.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by mslbd View Post
    Hello,

I went on a binge of cutting up my scraps into usable pieces and think I have really injured my upper arms. I've been in pain for over a month. The pain sometimes goes away but doesn't stay for long.

The only thing I can think is that my rotary blade wasn't sharp enough and I was putting too much pressure on my arms. What are your thoughts?
    Oh, ouch! I know what you mean. I'm in that same binge now and my shoulder blades are aching. I changed my rotary blade and it really helps somewhat. Also, I go to an exercise class for little old ladies. They taught some stretching exercises that help. I take short breaks also.... cut for an hour at most and then take a 15 minute break, ... maybe sew some bindings on those UFOs.

mslbd and SillySusan: I agree that your pain may be from too much cutting. I get a sore shoulder from ironing too many scraps in a day and I have an Oliso iron so I don't even need to tip it back and forth to set it down. Raising my ironing board to a more comfortable level has also helped with shoulder pain. My cutting tables are on risers so they are more comfortable to work on also. I have a die cutter that cranks and decided to replace it with an electric one after I had shoulder and neck pain and it makes so much difference to have the electric die cutter. Repetitive motions can be hard on our bodies.

Like several of you, I get scraps from groups. I volunteer with my church quilting group and a baby charity and, for quite a while, I was getting a bag or two every time I volunteered. Thankfully, that has slowed down for now but I am still overrun with scraps that had been thrown into tubs at my house. I had been sorting my blue scraps by size over the winter but then life got busy. However, it has been nice to go into the sorted scraps and grab a blue that is the right size. I ironed them before I measured the width and put them in their respective bags.

WMUTeach: We just have a hard time saying no, don't we?
    Connie

Macybaby....WOW, you are productive. They are great.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Those scraps will take up so much less room if you periodically cut them into useable sizes: 10", 5", 2.5" and 2.5" strips. I use those plastic stacking drawers to store mine in. Scraps are great to have. Don't be in any rush to get rid of them.

I love all the beautiful scrap quilts that have been posted here!

I'm quilting a scrappy string quilt with piano key border today. I'm loving it a lot! And all the scraps were given to me by a fellow group (guild) member.
    Never. Never, never, never! They stay as big as possible until I have a need for them. A friend of mine did that with the "scraps" from her WIP, and then found out that she needed to cut more pieces. She would have had plenty if she'd left it as yardage, but couldn't get what she needed from the cut bits.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Blog Entries
    I think we learn what kind of scrappers we are...Like you Ice Leopard I rarely cut my scraps down, but leave as big a piece as possible as I often use those chunks in narrow borders on mini quilts, etc. Some folks get along with a box of random squares all one size and make beauties!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    How did I miss this thread? Love scrappy quilts and have loads of scraps. I found that it is easier to sort them by color instead of keeping one jumbled mess. Still debating if I want to precut them into strips and sort by strip width. That sounds a very usable method but it takes organization to even get to that point.

I do not precut my scraps into squares, etc. I do keep the narrow trimmings 1" to 2" for string quilting separate from larger pieces. I also keep bigger than strings but smaller than a fat quarter separate in plastic shoe boxes by color. That's where I go for super scrappy scraps. My FQs are in holders and larger but less than a yard are kept in with my regular stash sorted by color. I use those larger pieces for controlled scrappy, borders, sashings, etc.
    I also leave everything as big as possible until I need it.

I am currently working on a project using my small scraps but I'll need a larger piece for sashing and border. It's called Rainy Night Windows. I am having so much fun with it!!
    Last edited by wildyard; 05-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I love working with my scraps. So far I've made a twin size of 2 1/2" squares and I'm saving up 1 1/2" squares for a postage stamp quilt. I also like to make collage type blocks where I start with a center square and just keep adding to it in rounds until I think it's big enough. I hope to combine them all into a quilt someday!

I've swapped to build up my 1 1/2" squares and I'm always looking for another swap so I can start putting that together. I need about 10,000 squares to make a queen sized quilt. AccuQuilt just came out with a die for that size, so I'll be cutting up more squares just as soon as it gets here, hopefully this weekend.

I tend to get into different modes with quilting - I'll work on civil war quilts for a while, batiks for a while, etc. I try to use a variety of scraps from the leftovers, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's working mixing them together. I keep trying to improve on my randomness and someday I'll get there.

Here's my 2 1/2" squares top. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh wow, you are the queen of scrappy quilts!! Wonderful! So many little squares! So colorful! So beautiful! It would take me 100++ years to do one like yours and it would never come out so beautiful! Wow!

Love your quilt, LyndaOH! I think the colors fell beautifully! Well done.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Exactly, wildyard! Lynda your quilt has a lot of balanced color...no heavy dark spots or light airy ones either. I like how you stuck those 4P's in, too. I like to do that as well...it adds interest!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to all the UFO and fabric moratorium members. My scraps are sorted, and nothing larger than a fat eighth is included. One bin is layer cake size squares, another 2 1/2 strips, 3 1/2 strips, you get the idea. There are nine of them. It took a week. I felt very self righteous immediately thereafter. Do I use them? Well, yes, but not exclusively. Some migrate to the back or binding on a quilt. Some fill out other uses. To make myself use them, i have started buying short and going at least controlled scrappy. The fabrics most often bought now are neutrals—of all kinds, using a rather broad definition. So—Boxes of Strings, anyone?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I love scrappy quilts and the ones ya’ll have posted here are fantastic!

Someone asked about boxes of strings- I have boxes of strings- I make string quilts if they’re wide enough, if not I use the really skinny ones to make clothesline trivets and bowls. Any strings too skinny for those activities and other fbric scraps too small for sewing get turned into string scarves. Editted to add: Oh, I misread that, I see there’s a Box Of Strings thread here. I haven’t tried that pattern yet, though I’m now watching that thread to see all the beautiful quilts folks are making using that pattern.

I also save larger scraps by size. Any scrap that’s bigger than 10” in any direction does not get cut. Everything else gets cut into largest size I can get out of it and put in my “precuts”stash. Most of my precuts are: 10” strips of various widths; 5” squares”; 3 and 1/2” squares; and 2” squares since these are sizes I use frequently.

anything smaller than 2” gets put in my crumb box and those get used to make crumb squares or they get used in collage quilts.

Rob
    Last edited by rryder; 05-25-2018 at 04:17 AM.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have been lurking here for the past week or so. I hope to get to my bin of scraps,later today or Sunday afternoon after church and into the evening. Saturday is my guild work day and I will be layering a couple of tops. Two are scrappy but not from my infamous "ULTIMATE BIN OF SCRAPS".

mslbd, Probably just another repetitive motion injury. Can be so frustrating. I am limited too in how long I can do any one thing. I love to get into a "zone" and just sew and sew or cut and cut. But I have to respect my age (70) and be happy I am still around to enjoy the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Wow Macybaby, your quilts are incredible. I thought I loved the one with the black background best, then I saw the last one with all the samples. I generally do not enjoy sample quilts, I find them busy, but yours has changed my mind. Having the centre on point really makes it work.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast