Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap those scrap mounds

Blog Entries
    I do not have grandchildren yet and neither of my grandmothers were quilters when I was growing up, but Granny sewed and I would be kept occupied for hours sorting her buttons. Mar-mar was a spinner and weaver and she would set me to sorting yarn, taught me to spin etc. If either of them had had fabric scraps, I would have been in my glory sorting the colours for her.

Not cutting, but give me a bin to sort and I find it almost meditative. Perhaps one of you have grandchildren nearby who could help sort the colours?

Of course, have not done this with my own scraps yet. I made ds a red, white and black quilt and if a left over piece was large enough to fold, it went back into the project bin.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Thanks all! It did not take me that long to make that quilt. I made two patches, then fours, then eights, and then sewed them together. I did always do darks to lights, so that's what I'm planning to do with my 1 1/2" version.

You all have inspired me to sort my scraps this weekend. If I'm not out by Tuesday, please come and find me in the pile!

Just dropping in to shout encouragement. I've processed a number of scrap boxes donated by friends here. My reason is my eye problem, it won't be long untiil I can no longer cut with accuracy.
    So I've worked at cutting donated scraps down to be ready for the eventually that is surely coming.

My method is
    scraps hand size or smaller first
    then by color.

press and cut the little ones first, it gives a nice sense of sanctimony 1.5", 2", 2.5". That is as big as I cut, I never use blocks bigger than that.
    press the first color pile. cut into 1.5", 2", 2.5" strips. put into 3 zip locks
    second color pile, ditto.

I love my ABC stash (already been cut)

I've been working away on my fun art quilt project, Rainy Night Windows. All the blocks are finished now, when I get home from Ohio, I'll start the sashing!
    The blocks finish at 5" and my inspiration is a photograph of apartment windows on a rainy night.
    This used up some scraps. LOLName:  Rainy Night Windows.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  237.9 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That is very creative and clever, Linda.

I don’t know. I tried that but still couldn’t stay my hand from buying new!!!

I love the scrappies I have made and am currently working on a couple others.... but that said, I don't indiscriminately cut to "popular" sizes anymore.... "because" I am also a lover of appliqué and can find a use for many weird and wonderful shapes, whether for hand or fusible appliqué. These days I usually only purchase fabrics or patterns while we are on vacation as my "souvenir" I may have to "collect" a few more Row by Row patterns this year as the Musical theme interests me. If I go into a shop to collect their "free" pattern (I don't usually love the fabrics in their kits) then I always buy at least a FQ... but I don't love FQ size... so usually a ½ metre or more. ) Yikes.... more fabric to add to the collection!

This looks like a good place for me. I love the scrappy quilts you all have posted here. I cut my scrap fabric (anything 10"and smaller) into squares 10", 5" 2.5" and 1.5". I am in a group that we swap 2.5" squares and make projects together with them so those are my most used sizes.

Recognize a few of the ladies here....sewbizgirl and WMUTeach

Barb
    "Queen B" of the "2017/18 2.5" Birthday Swap

Blog Entries
    someone told me a long time ago don't organize them just sew something with them spend time on making something

Name:  465D8B52-600B-49F5-AE21-59E834FCFF4C.jpeg
Views: 534
Size:  161.5 KBNewbee3: I think I should use that advice because I do spend lots of time organizing/sorting.

However, I do need to get this container emptied because I have no clue what’s in it for projects or scraps. I just found an old leather purse that I was planning to fix a lining in that box. Lol!

So I will dedicate this box as my ‘scrap mound’ project for the summer. Only a few more subbing jobs next week and then I will have a lot more free time.

18 gallon tote
    Connie

Blog Entries
    I have business and family commitments until the middle of July...so anxious to get digging in my mound of scraps. I declared 2018 the year of the triangle and have a mission to do something with all those spare HST's that have accumulated!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Hey, there Barbara. I saw your name along with sewbizgirl and smiled. Well here we are still trying to turn more scraps into more quilts. Meet you on our swap thread in a few minutes.

Wow, is all I can say! Those are beautiful!

Looks just like my scrap bin! (only less of it)

I have cut a few into standard sizes. But then I'm always afraid I'll need that fabric in a different size! Besides, it goes against my disorganized nature!!

That is so cool! Wish I were that creative.

I'm trying! Did 9 square in a square blocks to day, working on a lap quilt. But then I get discouraged at how slow the going is and decide to make half the blocks snow ball blocks....without so many little pieces! I have found that paper piecing works great for me in using up little bits of fabric. I don't cut them exactly to size, just "kind of the right size", before sewing them onto the paper. Makes for an ugly back, but then it's going to be inside the quilt!

Well, trying to attach a photo, but it won't work. Maybe next time. Anyway, paper piecing works for m!

After my Window project, I decided to work on my collection of rose fabrics, many of which are FQ and smaller. I did have to pull from my stash for yardage for the sashings and binding. Here are the blocks I have so far. The center square is 8" finished and the blocks are 16" finished. I only had 6 large prints so I am doing 2 of each.
    Name:  first 8 blocks.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  360.5 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    What a delightful set of blocks, Linda!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I just quilted a square in a square quilt and am on to finishing the binding. It was all batik scraps from a friend. Remember how folks love to give us there scraps. Well I just finished two quilts from her scraps the other is waiting to be layered. Will try to post photo of both soon.

Hang in there Lydia, I made 100 of those square in a square blocks you can do it too. Start small and keep at it. Poof you are half done then 80% and then "Well I might as well finish it" stage. You will get there. I would consider another in a blink may be out of some of those wild scraps in my bin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Wow Macybaby, your quilts are incredible. I thought I loved the one with the black background best, then I saw the last one with all the samples. I generally do not enjoy sample quilts, I find them busy, but yours has changed my mind. Having the centre on point really makes it work.
    I felt the same way.....Did Macybaby ever share the pattern name of that quilt with the center on point?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pal View Post
    Macybaby, those are scrap quilts???? Every one of them is better than anything thing I've ever planned and done.

Woe is me.........You are extremely talented! That first black quilt knocked my sox off.
    Ditto - - - I thought the very same thing.

Wildyard: Beautiful!
    Connie

Wildyard, your squares are wonderful!! What a great result from scraps!

So far this year I have made 3 scrap quilts and the pile just grows. Yesterday got a friend started on a scrap quilt with my scraps. When will it end???

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast