Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along >

Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along

Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along

Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 AM

Wonderful quilt top SBG and a quick assembly...I’m jealous. I can’t wait to see how you quilt it, I think stars or even swirls would be a great idea.

Petthefabric, I can’t wait to see your magenta chain fabric and pics of your progress.
I have been spending more time outdoors now that we are finally getting warmer days here in Maine, a little gardening and some hiking. I am in an Adult Ed course where we hike a different trail each Wednesday. This morning we are hiking above Camden, Maine (an hour from me) where the trail will climb to view the Camden Harbor.

I ordered four yards of background fabric from MSQC yesterday (with a gift card I had). Once it arrives, I will be able to start my blocks.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:53 AM

I saw a really cute kite motif with a long, ribbon-y tail pattern on pinterest that would be quick, easy and universal? Or snails? Or puffy type airplanes?

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I need to find a design a boy would like too. Maybe stars?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 AM

Last night I made a background block. I decided that it was going to have a bird in the middle. Since it was m first block it took me 1.5hours to do. Of course the smallest piece is 3/4 inch before sewn. I will post a picture tomorrow of what I have done. I like it so far but I think I will only do a small quilt.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
I saw a really cute kite motif with a long, ribbon-y tail pattern on pinterest that would be quick, easy and universal? Or snails? Or puffy type airplanes?
I love the kite idea! I might make that happen. Will practice and see how my kites look. Thanks, Christine!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Would like to join in. I love everybody's projects. I have some already cut from my scraps but my scrap box is pretty full so have been cutting more. I'm pretty sure I even have the backing - more of a matter of choosing which from stash.

I might be a bit slow as I also have several other projects going but I find I like sewing like that. Keeps my interest better I guess.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Love all the ideas, colors, birds, kites! Welcome elly66 I'm enjoying the fact that I'm clearing out a bit of my stash but will probably be slow going, too.. just means we get to enjoy seeing everyone's pictures along the way!

I have everything cut for 55 scrappy blocks and 55 background blocks (planning on a 10x11 layout) with about a half dozen of each finished so far.

Looking forward to seeing your kite quilting SBG.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 AM

Here is a picture of my background squares. This is the only one I have done. I will do more this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails bird-background.jpg  
Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

The bird is so pretty, QB!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 AM

Thank you SBG. It is the background for my scrappy double Irish chain quilt. I'm hope to make 11 more. I only had a yard of the lavender fabric.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Queenbarbiej -- I can't wait to see what it looks like with all the birds, so clever and cute!

Sewbizgirl - you are inspiring me! I love the I spy aspect and our quilting guild has just made a partnership with a school for children with autism and we were asked to make I spy quilts about that size or more rectangular for wheel chair kids. My problem is it's so cute I would want to keep it!