UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 03-16-2021, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
Polly that is a awesome quilt! Are the corners at a 45 angle? I love the way it arches over the corner of the mock bed. And did I read correctly you but the last border on after it was quilted? How do you attach it?
Yes, I cut off the part that was touching the floor at a 45, with a slight curve at each side of the cut. Most of my big quilts drag on the floor at the corners.

And yes, I put the borders on after the center is quilted on these big ones. I serge all the way around the quilted center - protects the edge in all the handling and also holds more glue stick for basting.

I put backing strips on first, then the first border group and fused the batting in, quilted it, then the wider border and fused that in and quilted it. Serged all around again to help grab glue for basting on the binding.

I started doing this years ago because FMQ on a domestic is easier if the quilt is smaller. The easiest part of the quilt is the outer few feet of the quilt, so this way, even though it's more work to put the borders on, my quilting is better on the outer edges.

Also, the center of this quilt was done edge to edge by Missouri Star and I didn't want edge to edge in the borders - I love feathers and swirls in the borders and I like to do those, myself.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

thepolyparrot, what a great way to incorporate your borders. Thanks for explaining.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM

thepolyparrot: Very lovely quilt. Congratulations on your finish.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:33 PM

So far, we have 15 UFOs finished for March! Good job, quilters! K & I are busy making lap quilts for the wheel-chair bound patients in our local nursing home. We delivered 4 yesterday, with 31 to go. Today K finished the quilting & binding on 2 more, so we have 29 left. We made a trip to a thrift shop & bought several sheets for backing, sashing, or binding. I think we spent $20 total. On we quilt!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I haven’t been ( around) much in a while but I have been getting some stuff finished.
today I finished my 2020 temperature quilt- I didn’t do anything fancy in the quilting and found a couple booboos as I was quilting it. But, oh well- 2020 was quite a year, bound to have a goof or 2.
Plus it’s finished in time for my daughter’s birthday on the 29th and that’s the important part- she’s been ( checking on it) since last March.
the kitten Loves it! She checked out every inch- running, rolling, playing on it when I tried to get pictures. It’s Huge and I didn’t get great pictures
I also finished quilting a ( much smaller 45” x 54” quilt) today, only binding left.
My stack of ufos is getting smaller.
This is now my favorite version of temp quilt, really outstanding....
Old 03-19-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I finished a quilt that I started in EQ in 2013.

64 blocks of 72 triangles each - 4,608 patches. I sewed pairs of fabrics onto dozens of strips of Edyta Sitar's HST papers and there they sat. In January, they were still attached to their papers and they were still overwhelming.

It took about a week to cut them apart and piece the blocks. Sent it off to Missouri Star for quilting and I finished the borders and binding about two weeks after I got it back.

No great place to show it without daylight, but it's done, done, done!
Stunning! Really beautiful work in this. Congrats on finishing this beauty...
Old 03-20-2021, 03:50 PM

Finished. Started 7+ yr ago for fire victims. Discovered, they needed to be received by the coordinating people within 4-6 mo after the fire, otherwise distribution is up to the person donating. Discovered many of the land owners don't live at the house, or even in the area. They use it for rental and aren't personnally going to be out because insurance coveres their loss and they aren't personally connected to the property. Did distribute Q's to persons who rebuilt and live in their homes.

Last yr was another forest fire and those Q's already finished were donated to residents of the Shaver area who suffered loss of all personal property d/t the fire.

Expect more forest fires this year, so trying to finish what got to flimsy stage to be ready for the season.

fire-log-cabin-resize-2mp.jpg
Old 03-20-2021, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

pet...great color combinations!
Old 03-20-2021, 05:09 PM

Petthefabric, a nice looking flimsy, I love long cabins. I hope that there will be a need for it, other than a fire victim

Stay safe

cherrybsixty
Old 03-20-2021, 05:24 PM

petthefabric: Awesome finish. Interesting discoveries on your part about donating quilts and house owners.