Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
UFO Challenge of the Month 2011 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

I did use some long strips sewn together for my border, then cut to size, but I also wanted to use up as many of my scraps as possible so I was sewing a lot of them together if they were long enough.
It was well worth it tho, I love the way the border looks!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
QM
Power Poster

...and won't you love it when you are done!!!

I know my DH and I love scrappy quilts. We are not alone. In one 2 hour shift when I was on duty at our quilt show I had 3 or 4 couples asking where the 'real' quilts were. All of them wanted to see more scrappy ones.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by QM
...and won't you love it when you are done!!!

I know my DH and I love scrappy quilts. We are not alone. In one 2 hour shift when I was on duty at our quilt show I had 3 or 4 couples asking where the 'real' quilts were. All of them wanted to see more scrappy ones.
isn't that just too cool??? Pretty isn't necessarily translated into useful. I have found that if I actually put some "home made" into a quilt, the recipients are more inclined to use it. ALthough, I did have one brother tell me: You gave me this quilt and if I declare it an heirloom, there is nothing you can do about it! LOL ... silly fellow ... (but, his "madness" got him a few more quilts than anyone else while I tried to get him to USE them! LOL ) <wave>
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 AM
QM
Power Poster

LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

All the UFO's on here are beautiful. After I joined Friday I got so excited over the weekend that I quilted 2 tops so I would have 2 UFO's finished. Then I realized they aren't done until I bind them. Oh well I was trying. But at least I should have 2 or 3 ready by February. Have to take a pause and do my round robins and get them in the mail.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
QM
Power Poster

Hurray for you!!

I just found 2 more UFOs last night. ARGH!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM

I Love the turtle quilt! It so cute. I went to your blog, and I see you have an embroidery machine too. We buy designs at the same place. EmbLibrary. Its a great place.
What I wanted to ask you was, what you you do with the silkies that you made? What are the little loops for? I have not seen that before, very cute!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
QM
Power Poster

I got another UFO done today. (I only had half of the binding left.) I'll post it on the pictures section.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by LaineyBelle
I Love the turtle quilt! It so cute. I went to your blog, and I see you have an embroidery machine too. We buy designs at the same place. EmbLibrary. Its a great place.
What I wanted to ask you was, what you you do with the silkies that you made? What are the little loops for? I have not seen that before, very cute!
The silkies are just little security blankies -- those are 12" square. Gerber used to make them with a big silk ruffle on the edge and sell them about 8 years ago. My older nephew (the one who's turtle stuff is in the turtle quilt) LOVED his, and when my sister in law was pregnant, he wrote a note to the baby and gave him (the new baby) his silky. -- It made EVERYONE cry at the baby shower.

Nate - the older nephew - would rub the silkies under his nose constantly. They went EVERYWHERE and he had like 6. Some how he only wound up with 2. One went to new nephew, and the other went to another baby cousin in the family (who might be born this week!)

Anyway, the new nephew - Jacob - can't sleep without a silky on his face. It's funny how they both "need" the silky, but in such different ways. I've made a few for Jacob, as Gerber doesn't sell them any more. I tried with the big silk ruffle, but I couldn't get the corners right. Jacob likes to suck on noses and tags and such, so this round of silkies I added the ribbon loops for him to suck on.

It's been trial and error with this project. Thankfully, the baby is happy with the silk/flannel combo, and the rest is just there for now.

=)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 AM

I would like to add myself to the challenge. Last year I had 20 finishes and I know I have at least 12 more.
I find posting them keeps me focused on the planner. Wonderful pictures of completed projects.