Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1657

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

QM you are an inspiration ta us all!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all. I have to do three more by end of month so I stay at my 10 per month. I almost have the fall dresdan plate blocks done. I am not going to make these into a quilt but use for the fall fantasy swap. Those will be number 8. My delectible mountain quilt I will do this weekend, so that will be nine, but what for #10. If I get this 30s quilt assembled, can make that 10 and quilt it on Sunday or if I get this coat I started finished can count that. I have the binding to do and the sleeves to put in. Do I know how? That is the harder question. I have done vests before, but not coats. Will keep you posted for sure.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Thank you all. I have to do three more by end of month so I stay at my 10 per month.
    Ok...what's your secrect? We know you work all the time and you quilt all the time. So you don't eat or sleep? Are you secrectly a super hero? We won't tell anyone.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    My secret is this wonderful DH who allows me to be OCD with my quilting. The kids help with the housework, the DH and kids cook meals, and I am on diet so that makes it even easier for them. i have the Gammill in my garage so can get them quilted. the garden is growing, may have to get out there again and get it tilled before everything takes over the empty ground and i have to pull them by hand. I am really trying hard to stay focused this time on the projects. It is getting rougher because most of them now need all the pieces sewn into blocks then assembled so it is slowing me down just a bit. I do have approximately 10 or so table runners yet to do, but the rest of them are full to king size quilts. The nice thing is that nearly 45 of them are cut up so just have to piece. I am held up just a bit because I have to make some class samples for teaching this fall and winter. My first one is not perfect on that yucky binding which you know I can't stand. Also, I have a few quilts on the hanger that are at least 15-30 hours of quilting each. I say that only because I will be doing total custom on them for the upcoming quilt shows. The hardest part will be the precision for them. If I could afford the nice new extension plate that is larger than what I have, it would be even sweeter but it $200 and I have no loose change because of all the ufos being done. Hopefully I get in a couple really good paying customers so I can earn it. Well, back to work. I have to put on that pink cape so I can fly thru my projects again. And yes I sleep, if I didn't you would not like me at all.

Looks like you all have been busy. I have so many UFO's. I'm going to jump in here for August and try to get one done. Really glad I found this thread.
    Happy Quilting,
    Gena

Blog Entries
    Welcome, Gena.
    Just hop aboard the UFO train and in no time at all we'll be ringing the bell and blowing the whistle for you.
    Looking forward to seeing your projects.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Hello sewhappy, glad to have you on board. Remember once in awhile we join in at the club car and have ourselves some iced tea so feel free to join in that.

Here are couple more finishes. This puts me at 70 for year done. I am working on the wallhanging that has been a thorn in my side long enough. I have procrastinated way to long on just quilting it and is on longarm as I speak half done. Did not have a ruler wide enough to do the design idea I had and then the compass thing did not work. Then the 1/4 plate thing did not work either. What gives so ditched that idea and went with another, flames in all four corners with flame feathers. Yep, interesting for sure and hopefully will look cool when done. Will post tomorrow if I get it done tonight. had company this weekend and went to barbque so took some time to enjoy self and did not get much sleep for whatever reason. Going to set mind to get it done. Also, working on a chair I needed to refinish for six years now. I do have it sanded, stained, and coated. It is drying right now, have had the fabric for the seven years, and then found the batting and such last fall. Yep, going to get it done. Name:  coat.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  41.3 KBName:  inside coat.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  46.1 KBName:  fabric baskets.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  127.2 KBName:  del mtns work on.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  145.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Ringing the bells again, QM. 70 projects finished this year and you still have 5 months to go. I'm tired just thinking about it.
    Great finishes.
    The jacket is awesome!
    Glad you took time to enjoy your company and the barbeque. (DH's Grandma always called it barbe-chew!)
    We don't want you to get quilter burnout!
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    I am so looking forward to next year when i can start a new project besides doing the swaps. I think, unless it is a really good swap, I will hold off on any new ones so I can finish up my goal for year. At least for the ones I have done, I have new projects to work on YEAH!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    I think, unless it is a really good swap, I will hold off on any new ones so I can finish up my goal for year.
    so if we repeated the quilt for quilters swap, you might participate? ;-)

Hey, how many UFOs did you remove from your list due to that swap? :-)
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    You silly girl, trying to get me in a swap already. But I think I would participate in that swap again. i was able to finish four of them for that swap. It was fun seeing them come together. I still have one more quilt to make out of the same blocks I used on thomp116's quilt. I have all the blocks made up, just have to find the setting squares. Going to Buggy Barn on Saturday and hope to find something to go with them again. I also have log cabin blocks left over from Whigrose's and Tammoos's quilts. I am going to make another star setting and quilt it to put in show. That will be done here in August. So you know two of the ones I am working on. i am trying to finish up one more other 30s quilt that I started a couple of years ago for show as well. Yep, detail month for August.
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    so if we repeated the quilt for quilters swap, you might participate? ;-)

Hey, how many UFOs did you remove from your list due to that swap? :-)

Blog Entries
    By mentioning left over blocks from other projects, QM is raising an issue I have a question about-- is leftover fabric from a project automatically a UFO? Just yesterday, I went through my sewing room and placed the leftovers from projects into their own ziploc bags. Are these now UFOs? Or are they something else?
    jillaine

Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask that because my daughter claims it is another project because i set it aside for a potential quilt. My answer to her was and still is, no it is not a UFO because I do not have all the pieces cut, no pattern in mind yet, and the rest of the fabric is not with it so can't be ready for a quilt so I proclaim that the leftover fabric from a project that is "organized" neatly in a baggie is not a UFO. There, hope that helps. Otherwise I would be in so much trouble.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone.
    I guess everyone is busy sewing.
    It's too hot here to do much of anything.
    Over the last week, I've cleaned out my sewing area.
    I took a lot of breaks because of the heat.
    Finally finished it yesterday.

I'll tell you...it was a real purging!
    I threw away, gave away,sold.
    I packaged up bags of felt, bundles of scrap batting and fabric and scrap pieces of muslin backing.
    For the scrap pieces of my favorite fabrics, I cut them into strips.
    I dumped old containers, old blades, dried-out fabric markers, twisted scissors, chipped rulers and a bunch of other stuff.
    I went through my patterns and techniques I had printed from the internet and put a lot into paper recycling.
    Also went through my mags and brought 2 bundles to the local library.

It feels like the first day of the school year when everything is fresh and there is such promise for future success.

I now have many empty drawers in my cabinets.

Of course, this will lead to new fabric buying but I've promised myself that I will only buy what I need for a project.
    Like a new school year, we'll see how long the promise lasts!!

I have 3 bunches of strips....cut 1.5" ,2.0",and 2.5" wide.
    Would like your suggestions on an EASY pattern (meaning a pattern that doesn't need a lot of concentration)

Looking forward to hearing from all of you and seeing more of your FOs.
    ranger

Here is a quilt I finished Friday...didn't quite get done in July, but this is close enough for me. I also have another one that should be finished this afternoon (as long as I have enough fabric for the binding).

The 49ers quilt is for a friend's son...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ranger--sounds like you made GREAT progress!! Keep it up. I haven't been quilting for too long so at this point my scraps aren't out of control. I need to find a good way to sort them now, so that later they are more manageable.

Hope all have a great Sunday!
    carrie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carriem View Post
    Here is a quilt I finished Friday...didn't quite get done in July, but this is close enough for me. I also have another one that should be finished this afternoon (as long as I have enough fabric for the binding).

The 49ers quilt is for a friend's son...
    Great job,carriem!
    Ring the bell for you.
    Looking at the alternate block in your quilt and was curious.......when doing the block, did you use a partial seam?
    ranger

I find mine become true UFO and stay that way forever. I still have stuff in gallong ziplock bags from over 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    By mentioning left over blocks from other projects, QM is raising an issue I have a question about-- is leftover fabric from a project automatically a UFO? Just yesterday, I went through my sewing room and placed the leftovers from projects into their own ziploc bags. Are these now UFOs? Or are they something else?
    Anna Quilts

No partial seams...you sew strip sets...the white and black is one and the other is black, red, black...then cut into sections and sew3 'rows' together. I used a moda marble and I think that hid the seams.

The pattern is called "Race Tracks". It was a 5 yard quilt that I added more fabric to so it would be a little wider.

Blog Entries
    Thanks.
    So, the black,red, black have strips the same width and black/white has the white twice as wide as the black.
    Am I 'seeing' that the right way?
    ranger

ranger--yes...for this particular quilt, the block finishes at 9"

Another finish

I was able to finish this quilt for my 14yo daughter this afternoon. She chose all the fabrics and started the quilt at least 3 yrs ago and had no desire to finish it. I made it one of my UFOs and now it is done! This is a "6-hr Quilt" by Kay Woods...uses quilt as you go (start in the middle and build out).

Pictures taken before it was washed...doesn't look so wonky now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carriem View Post
    I was able to finish this quilt for my 14yo daughter this afternoon. She chose all the fabrics and started the quilt at least 3 yrs ago and had no desire to finish it. This is a "6-hr Quilt" by Kay Woods
    I just love quilts that are named "6-hr" or "quilt in a day" and the "10 minute block" that take eons to finish! Cracks me up everytime. This coming from she who has not posted a finish since April? May? Oh geeze.

Congratulations on the finish!

Oh no...I just looked and I haven't finished anything since April! It's August already...no more swapping. Back to UFOs. I think I can. I think I can.
    Last edited by Fraew; 08-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Oh how pretty Carrie, your DD had a good plan! Nice finish.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hi Bev. I agree .It's always good when a UFO gets done. Thanks for sharing it. She loves it I'm sure.
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 52 53 54 63 ... LastLast