Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Air Fryer >

Air Fryer

Air Fryer

Old 01-11-2024, 09:56 AM

If you can bake it, you can air fry it. I really like grilled cheese sandwiches when done in the air fryer! We always use parchment liners to help with cleanup.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:32 AM

By research, considering how I cook, counter space, what my kitchen lacked; I decided on needing toast, bagel,warm,proof, air fry, dehydrate. Only 1 appliance on counter=instant coffee, heat water in microwave. Capacity is important for proof and dehydrate. Never deep fry anything. Even before gall bladder issues it made me ill. Hubby’s fav breakfast was donuts. I’d get so ill, vomit was the only solution. One time had fried chicken and gravy- aching stomach then diarrhea and vomit. Breaded and fried are impossible. French fries are history. Thought air frying would be better, using less fat.

usually cook for one; hubby /I eat very different. His diet is mostly meat and potatoes. Mine is whole grains and vegetables.

solution; Breville Smart Oven-Air Fryer Pro. Can do small meals. Can proof sour dough bread. Easy to clean.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:08 AM

We live in So. Cal. and electricity and gas for the home are high cost - we have gone so solar so I wanted the larger air fryer because it basically replaces my oven. It's just my DH & I - it's the EL 360 and sits on a microwave cart. Depending on how hot I need it, but it's usually pre-heated in less than 3 minutes. Then the cooking time is maybe 1/2 the time of many items no more that 3/4 the time. I can't give up my toaster though - there is something about a piece of toast I can't give up. All the side dishes that fit in the air fryer - go in there. But if I am making a full size turkey - it will go into the big oven. I bought some David's cookies and my grandson loves when I ask,"Should we bake a cookie?" They are ready in 15 minutes from freezer to plate and we are watching his favorite movie. (He's 3.). Won't be too long and his little sister will be joining us for cookies and milk too.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
We live in So. Cal. and electricity and gas for the home are high cost - we have gone so solar so I wanted the larger air fryer because it basically replaces my oven. It's just my DH & I - it's the EL 360 and sits on a microwave cart. Depending on how hot I need it, but it's usually pre-heated in less than 3 minutes. Then the cooking time is maybe 1/2 the time of many items no more that 3/4 the time. I can't give up my toaster though - there is something about a piece of toast I can't give up. All the side dishes that fit in the air fryer - go in there. But if I am making a full size turkey - it will go into the big oven. I bought some David's cookies and my grandson loves when I ask,"Should we bake a cookie?" They are ready in 15 minutes from freezer to plate and we are watching his favorite movie. (He's 3.). Won't be too long and his little sister will be joining us for cookies and milk too.
Good point-electricity costs, need more efficiency. Another good point- cooking 1 potion at a time, quickly.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:49 PM

My air fryer has basically replaced my microwave. I have one that toasts, bakes, air frys, broils, dehydrates, and lifts up out of the way when I'm not using it. It heats up faster than my oven. Family favorites - jojo potatoes, breaded chicken tenders, broiled brussels sprouts.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:10 AM

I have one that I only use for frozen sweet potato fries. I've just never explored other things I can do with it. I guess I'm just set in my ways. I have a huge laundry room off the kitchen I store the air fryer in one of the cabinets. Out of site out of mind, it's a rainy day, perhaps I should spend the day trying new things in it.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:41 AM

Peckish, sounds like you have one of the Ninja air fryers as mine lifts up when not in use also. Love mine and it came in handy when my oven decided to kick the bucket on me just after getting my kitchen remodeled. My new oven has the air fryer mode but I have yet to try it out as my Ninja fits me to a T. My sister just got one of those 13 in 1 Ninja air fryers during the Black Friday sales and paid only half the normal price. She finally after all these years bought a toaster oven as mother likes toast. She's put that in storage for now as the air fryer is in the spot the toaster oven was in.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:13 AM

a couple of years ago, I bought an insta pot. and I picked up the air fryer attachment. Then I replaced my stove. It has an air fryer setting. I love the air fryer setting. I am alone, I have a very small kitchen without much counter space at all. Yep, the insta pot has never been used. I found the new electric stove heats up so much faster than my old one did and I love the air fryer setting in it. I think I actually use that setting the most.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

We got a Ninja "flip" which had many functions so we use it as a toaster, oven and air fryer. I don't use it to reheat, broil or dehydrate. I Google when I want to cook something. Like "pork chops in air fryer" or "chicken tenders in air fryer"
or "reheat pizza in air fryer". Then I can see which recipe and method combo appeals to me.i use this for my instant pot Too. Also I have a convection oven and I don't find it interchangeable with the air fryer.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:03 PM

This was the first recipe I cooked in my air fryer. The air fryer instructions are at the bottom.

Apple Crisp

Place rack one level lower than center. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Baking spray an 8-1/2” x 8-1/2” Corelle baking dish.

Pie:

4 (2-pounds, room temperature) Granny Smith apples, sliced thin

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon

1 tablespoon Lemon Juice

3 tablespoons melted Butter

2 tablespoons Flour

3 tablespoons Water

1/2 teaspoons Vanilla

Combine all pie ingredients and place in the baking dish.

Topping:

1/3 cup cold Butter

1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour

1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

Using a pastry cutter combine all topping ingredients until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Spread crumbs on top of the pie mixture in the baking dish, and gently pat to even it out.

Bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm…

Air Fryer:

Use an 8” round pan, 350 degrees, 35 minutes (or until juices are bubbly). The apples will continue to cook as they cool. Cool on a wire rack.