Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone have a zesty pasta salad recipe to share? >

Anyone have a zesty pasta salad recipe to share?

Anyone have a zesty pasta salad recipe to share?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:34 AM

I've tried a new one for Father's Day BBQ and it was a dud and am looking for something new to add to our next BBQ. May in Jersey
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

chopped sweet pickle relish added to cold pasta salads (the ones with mayo dressing) is good - not enough to be able to easily identify it -
Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

My mom does one that i like real well. It is cooked ziti pasta / chopped green peppers/ diced tomatoes and diced or sliced cucumber.
THe dressing is just vinegar water and sugar and she just puts a cup of water and adds about a splash of vinegar and adds sugar to taste. It is a dump recipe but it is basically what ever tastes good to you. If the vinegar is too strong add more sugar or water.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Another good way to fix pasta salad is with Wish Bone Italian dressing. I worked at a school and that is how the salad lady used leftover macaroni and added fresh veggies to it.
Darlene
Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I like to add veggies to my salads, so I marinate corn, green beans, onions, carrots etc... (as long as they are atleast partially cooked ) in vinegar overnight before adding them into my pasta salads. Gives the whole salad more flavor. I use pasta (approx 1 lb) that is not quite fully cooked, pour on 1/3 to 1/2 of a bottle of Italian salad dressing letting it soak in, add the veggies and then the rest of the bottle of dressing letting it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Very Zesty!!!

Note: Beets, red cabbabge or red onions will bleed red while marinating turning everything pink/red :wink:
Old 06-23-2009, 03:39 PM

I roast red peppers and onions (drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Italian seasonings and salt) in the oven, then chop up. Cook some tri color ruffle pastas up, drain, and cool. Chop/dice: black or green olives, thick-sliced salami, mozzarella and anything else you like in a pasta salad. Throw all together in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with sugar, garlic salt, pepper, Italian seasonings or oregano. Toss well... usually tastes best if the dressing sits on it a while. I make extra of the dressing and add more when Im ready to serve it. The pasta seems to absorb quite a bit. Sorry there's measurements... this is my family recipe and not one that was ever written down. Kind of a taste as you go recipe.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Ah, Loretta, you've described my favourite pasta salad. I've never tried the parmesan cheese and extra spices, though, so it looks like pasta salad is in my near future.

I also like to add chopped peppers (we like yellow). Pretty much whatever salad vegetables you like added to pasta will work. I use rotini, and don't remember seeing Wishbone brand salad dressing, but definitely use Italian dressing!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Same as above, with the italian dressing, but I also add chopped onoins gives it an extra punch ! And all the fresh veggies you can grab from a garden, cheese, peporoni and ham ! Yummy, now I am hungry and want a pasta salad :?
Sharon
Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 AM

THANKS GALS, YOU'VE GIVEN ME SOME GREAT IDEAS, MAY
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Patti's Pasta Pleasure

1 lb. spiral, tri-color pasta, cooked but not too soft, do not rinse your pasta
1 12oz. bottle Zesty Salad Dressing, I use Kraft, start with about 8 oz.
you can add more to your taste.
1 small green pepper, diced small
1 small red onion, diced small
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese, or any cheese you like
2 small tomatoes, diced small
4 oz. thinly sliced pepperoni, make little stacks and dice into quarters,
or you can put them in whole, whatever you like

Directions:
Dice the peppers, tomatoes, and onion. Set aside. If you are not using a store bought shredded cheese you can use a block of your favorite cheese and dice it into little cubes, but don't make them too big.

Put the pasta into a large mixing bowl. Add the tomoatoes, onion, pepper, cheese and pepperoni. Pour the zesty italian dressing over the top and fold to coat your pasta and veggies with the dressing.

Note: You can add just about anything to this pasta salad. Sometimes I remove the outer peels and seeds from a cucumber and dice it small and add it to the pasta. I've also used a small can of black olives. You can julienne a small carrot and add that. All of these veggies bring a new texture to you salad. Hope you like it! Patti