Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone On a Ketogenic Diet? >

Anyone On a Ketogenic Diet?

Anyone On a Ketogenic Diet?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:49 PM

I went Keto a couple of years ago and cannot go back. I sleep--I was not sleeping well before. I feel younger, and have more energy. It was easy for me since it was a choice between not sleeping well or sleeping well. I eat a lot of salads and a moderate amount of meat. It is not high in protein like Atkins. I lost about 20 pounds.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 PM

I think it is just amazing how much of a typical American diet consists of useless (even harmful) carbs. Between the sodas and French fries and HFCS ketchup and macaroni and cheese from a box and hamburger helper and chicken nuggets, I have a feeling this is why kids have short attention spans and teens are often cranky and/or violent. Wonder if anyone has done a study of the eating patterns of murderers and road rage perps?

I haven't yet gotten that energy and feeling of great health that is supposed to come with the KETO way of eating, but I have lost 3 lbs and don't have stomach pain and reflux anymore. Some experts say it can take 6 weeks or so to get the full benefits. And I still get hungry about 9 pm. I need to go buy more pork rinds.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I lost the most weight on the Suzanne Sommer's diet. No kidding. LOL It is simple. No sugar and no white flour foods. No fats with any carbs ever. No carbs with any fats ever. You picked a carb meal or fat meal. vegetables were fine with either one. It wasn't that hard to follow. I need to go back on it as there are many new foods available to substitute for white flour ones. That was why I stopped, no good food choices for carbs.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 AM

Just to clarify...I'm not on a Ketogenic diet...but I am on Weight Watchers, (which is not a diet at all, but a lifestyle modification program.)

As I remember from my College Biology days, various forms of Ketogenic diets have very low carbs, which forces the body to burn fats instead of the usual carbs. This diet, in one form or another, has been around for many years. I think it's gained popularity these days, because it is touted as a, "high fat diet," but really, that's just relative to the other permissible items on the diet. On this diet, you're not eating huge amounts of fats, just less carbs. You still shouldn't eat huge quantities of fatty foods that are unhealthy for your heart, circulatory system, etc. The good news is that eating less sugar, white flour, processed foods, etc. is a healthy lifestyle change and that can't be bad.

If you don't mind, I would suggest that you check out Weight Watchers if you want to lose weight. You can still fit in the ketogenic diet on WW and the WW program will help you with portion control, binge eating, making healthy food choices, self esteem, getting in some activity, etc. Plus, there is a fabulous support group of other WW members that are also trying to lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes. Some members need to lose just a few pounds, while others have already lost over 200+ pounds and are there to give encouragement and advice. The WW staff is also there to help. All of this support really makes a difference in your success in losing weight. It does cost to join WW, but the dues are very inexpensive and you'll recoup that at the grocery store when you start buying healthier foods. You can also do the entire program online, if meetings are not your thing.

OK...stepping off of my soapbox now. :-)

Good luck in your weight loss journey.

~ C
Old 07-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Just to clarify...I'm not on a Ketogenic diet...but I am on Weight Watchers, (which is not a diet at all, but a lifestyle modification program.)

As I remember from my College Biology days, various forms of Ketogenic diets have very low carbs, which forces the body to burn fats instead of the usual carbs. This diet, in one form or another, has been around for many years. I think it's gained popularity these days, because it is touted as a, "high fat diet," but really, that's just relative to the other permissible items on the diet. On this diet, you're not eating huge amounts of fats, just less carbs. You still shouldn't eat huge quantities of fatty foods that are unhealthy for your heart, circulatory system, etc. The good news is that eating less sugar, white flour, processed foods, etc. is a healthy lifestyle change and that can't be bad.

If you don't mind, I would suggest that you check out Weight Watchers if you want to lose weight. You can still fit in the ketogenic diet on WW and the WW program will help you with portion control, binge eating, making healthy food choices, self esteem, getting in some activity, etc. Plus, there is a fabulous support group of other WW members that are also trying to lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes. Some members need to lose just a few pounds, while others have already lost over 200+ pounds and are there to give encouragement and advice. The WW staff is also there to help. All of this support really makes a difference in your success in losing weight. It does cost to join WW, but the dues are very inexpensive and you'll recoup that at the grocery store when you start buying healthier foods. You can also do the entire program online, if meetings are not your thing.

OK...stepping off of my soapbox now. :-)

Good luck in your weight loss journey.

~ C
WW Leader??
Old 07-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
WW Leader??
No...just a member.

~ C
Old 07-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

No...just a member.

~ C
You've been well programmed!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
You've been well programmed!
Well..."programmed" or not. I've lost close to 60 pounds since January and I look and feel amazing. My joints feel better, I can breathe more freely, I'm wearing nice clothes and look good in them, even my hair is fuller and shinier. You can call all of that programming if you wish. I just call it healthy eating and taking better care of myself and I hope that I can be an inspiration to others.

~ C
Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Well..."programmed" or not. I've lost close to 60 pounds since January and I look and feel amazing. My joints feel better, I can breathe more freely, I'm wearing nice clothes and look good in them, even my hair is fuller and shinier. You can call all of that programming if you wish. I just call it healthy eating and taking better care of myself and I hope that I can be an inspiration to others.

~ C
Enjoy your success ... and keep doing what needs to be done!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 AM

I think having a support system is such a big help when trying to change life-long situations. Even support groups for families with sick children, or for those who have lost a spouse; we are all trying to cope with the "now" and develop survival skills for their new reality. There are good support groups for Keto people, too. And I sure don't have anything bad to say about WW; I just think I have found my "way of eating".