Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone On a Ketogenic Diet?

Anyone On a Ketogenic Diet?

I have been reading along on the Weight Watchers thread, but I have started seriously on Keto recently so was wondering if anyone else on this forum was doing it also. It's the low carb, medium protein, high fat diet. Kinda like Atkins.

Here's a thread from not so long ago that you might like to check into ...
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipe...t-t296548.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I have been reading up on it but haven't committed to it yet. I was thinking of trying it.

Keto is not a weight loss diet, it is a life-style. Eat the butter and ditch the sugar. Everything with white flour is a no-no. White flour just turns to sugar in your body. If you want to learn more about keto, check out http://amzn.to/2EfrECi Today she has keto for kids. She has two who have been raised on keto. They even help her now in her demos.
    Last edited by maviskw; 07-22-2018 at 05:22 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I started eating on the keto diet for just over a month ago. It has shown me that when I eat wheat, I feel sick, but then celiac disease runs in my family, although I have tested negative for it. The best part is my A1c tested 6.0 last week! That is the lowest it has ever been. I joined a group on Facebook called “Reversing Diabetes” and have used their information and support to follow the diet. I will not pretend that I do not cheat (it was spaghetti, lol, no resistance, but I did skip the garlic bread) but after my blood work last week, that may never happen again. I actually feel better and am sleeping regular for the first time in years. Give it a try, but like everything else in life, nothing is really “one size fits all”. Be sure to let your doctor know wat you are doing in case he/she has cautions for you.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

From what I've heard from friends and read, it's just the Adkins diet rewritten, it's nothing new. Probably because it works. Lost 20 lbs with it 35 years ago. Killed my quest for sugar. Don't feel guilty about fat, as in butter and my skin is great. Love vegetables, even eat peas and corn occasionally along with pasta. It is a life style so watch your carbs.

Have you tried making your "spaghetti" w/ zucchini? My husband likes the spaghetti made by spiralizing zucchini better then the gluten free pasta and a lot less carbs.

I have been gluten free for almost 20 years. We made the switch to a keto type lifestyle almost a year ago, both of our lab blood work got better, a1c, blood glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol, and even my immunoglobulins (auto immune issues). My husband lost a lot of belly weight, I lost nearly nothing, but feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I started eating on the keto diet for just over a month ago. It has shown me that when I eat wheat, I feel sick, but then celiac disease runs in my family, although I have tested negative for it. The best part is my A1c tested 6.0 last week! That is the lowest it has ever been. I joined a group on Facebook called “Reversing Diabetes” and have used their information and support to follow the diet. I will not pretend that I do not cheat (it was spaghetti, lol, no resistance, but I did skip the garlic bread) but after my blood work last week, that may never happen again. I actually feel better and am sleeping regular for the first time in years. Give it a try, but like everything else in life, nothing is really “one size fits all”. Be sure to let your doctor know wat you are doing in case he/she has cautions for you.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

The more I read on it, the more I think I need it. People talk about having so much more energy, and fewer aches and pains. It is believable because I know sugar and white flour are bad for you (me)
    I have only been on it about 10 days. After a bout of food poisoning, then a colonoscopy, I figured now was as good a time as any. since I was already empty. It really hasn't been hard yet, giving up bread and potatoes; I hardly ate those anyway. What I am going to miss is summer fruit, peach cobbler and watermelon. Oh well. I don't get as hungry as I did, and snack less.
    Any one who wants to start a new way of eating, join with me! We can support each other.

For recipes check out Kalyns Kitchen. She has recipes for a few diff diets; keto paleo low carb. Some look really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    The more I read on it, the more I think I need it. People talk about having so much more energy, and fewer aches and pains. It is believable because I know sugar and white flour are bad for you (me)
    I have only been on it about 10 days. After a bout of food poisoning, then a colonoscopy, I figured now was as good a time as any. since I was already empty. It really hasn't been hard yet, giving up bread and potatoes; I hardly ate those anyway. What I am going to miss is summer fruit, peach cobbler and watermelon. Oh well. I don't get as hungry as I did, and snack less.
    Any one who wants to start a new way of eating, join with me! We can support each other.
    There are lots of ways to make your favorite foods with out wheat flour. Maria Emmerich has lots of books full of recipes that use other sweeteners and other flours. I've been using lots of her stuff and feel terrific.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I went Keto a couple of years ago and cannot go back. I sleep--I was not sleeping well before. I feel younger, and have more energy. It was easy for me since it was a choice between not sleeping well or sleeping well. I eat a lot of salads and a moderate amount of meat. It is not high in protein like Atkins. I lost about 20 pounds.
    Jean

I think it is just amazing how much of a typical American diet consists of useless (even harmful) carbs. Between the sodas and French fries and HFCS ketchup and macaroni and cheese from a box and hamburger helper and chicken nuggets, I have a feeling this is why kids have short attention spans and teens are often cranky and/or violent. Wonder if anyone has done a study of the eating patterns of murderers and road rage perps?

I haven't yet gotten that energy and feeling of great health that is supposed to come with the KETO way of eating, but I have lost 3 lbs and don't have stomach pain and reflux anymore. Some experts say it can take 6 weeks or so to get the full benefits. And I still get hungry about 9 pm. I need to go buy more pork rinds.

I lost the most weight on the Suzanne Sommer's diet. No kidding. LOL It is simple. No sugar and no white flour foods. No fats with any carbs ever. No carbs with any fats ever. You picked a carb meal or fat meal. vegetables were fine with either one. It wasn't that hard to follow. I need to go back on it as there are many new foods available to substitute for white flour ones. That was why I stopped, no good food choices for carbs.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Just to clarify...I'm not on a Ketogenic diet...but I am on Weight Watchers, (which is not a diet at all, but a lifestyle modification program.)

As I remember from my College Biology days, various forms of Ketogenic diets have very low carbs, which forces the body to burn fats instead of the usual carbs. This diet, in one form or another, has been around for many years. I think it's gained popularity these days, because it is touted as a, "high fat diet," but really, that's just relative to the other permissible items on the diet. On this diet, you're not eating huge amounts of fats, just less carbs. You still shouldn't eat huge quantities of fatty foods that are unhealthy for your heart, circulatory system, etc. The good news is that eating less sugar, white flour, processed foods, etc. is a healthy lifestyle change and that can't be bad.

If you don't mind, I would suggest that you check out Weight Watchers if you want to lose weight. You can still fit in the ketogenic diet on WW and the WW program will help you with portion control, binge eating, making healthy food choices, self esteem, getting in some activity, etc. Plus, there is a fabulous support group of other WW members that are also trying to lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes. Some members need to lose just a few pounds, while others have already lost over 200+ pounds and are there to give encouragement and advice. The WW staff is also there to help. All of this support really makes a difference in your success in losing weight. It does cost to join WW, but the dues are very inexpensive and you'll recoup that at the grocery store when you start buying healthier foods. You can also do the entire program online, if meetings are not your thing.

OK...stepping off of my soapbox now. :-)

Good luck in your weight loss journey.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Just to clarify...I'm not on a Ketogenic diet...but I am on Weight Watchers, (which is not a diet at all, but a lifestyle modification program.)

As I remember from my College Biology days, various forms of Ketogenic diets have very low carbs, which forces the body to burn fats instead of the usual carbs. This diet, in one form or another, has been around for many years. I think it's gained popularity these days, because it is touted as a, "high fat diet," but really, that's just relative to the other permissible items on the diet. On this diet, you're not eating huge amounts of fats, just less carbs. You still shouldn't eat huge quantities of fatty foods that are unhealthy for your heart, circulatory system, etc. The good news is that eating less sugar, white flour, processed foods, etc. is a healthy lifestyle change and that can't be bad.

If you don't mind, I would suggest that you check out Weight Watchers if you want to lose weight. You can still fit in the ketogenic diet on WW and the WW program will help you with portion control, binge eating, making healthy food choices, self esteem, getting in some activity, etc. Plus, there is a fabulous support group of other WW members that are also trying to lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes. Some members need to lose just a few pounds, while others have already lost over 200+ pounds and are there to give encouragement and advice. The WW staff is also there to help. All of this support really makes a difference in your success in losing weight. It does cost to join WW, but the dues are very inexpensive and you'll recoup that at the grocery store when you start buying healthier foods. You can also do the entire program online, if meetings are not your thing.

OK...stepping off of my soapbox now. :-)

Good luck in your weight loss journey.

~ C
    WW Leader??

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    WW Leader??
    No...just a member.

~ C

No...just a member.

~ C
    You've been well programmed!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    You've been well programmed!
    Well..."programmed" or not. I've lost close to 60 pounds since January and I look and feel amazing. My joints feel better, I can breathe more freely, I'm wearing nice clothes and look good in them, even my hair is fuller and shinier. You can call all of that programming if you wish. I just call it healthy eating and taking better care of myself and I hope that I can be an inspiration to others.

~ C

Well..."programmed" or not. I've lost close to 60 pounds since January and I look and feel amazing. My joints feel better, I can breathe more freely, I'm wearing nice clothes and look good in them, even my hair is fuller and shinier. You can call all of that programming if you wish. I just call it healthy eating and taking better care of myself and I hope that I can be an inspiration to others.

~ C
    Enjoy your success ... and keep doing what needs to be done!

I think having a support system is such a big help when trying to change life-long situations. Even support groups for families with sick children, or for those who have lost a spouse; we are all trying to cope with the "now" and develop survival skills for their new reality. There are good support groups for Keto people, too. And I sure don't have anything bad to say about WW; I just think I have found my "way of eating".

I don't know much about the Keto diet. I am presently doing Weight Watchers (which works!) and which is not a diet it is a way of life. It is so easy right now and I've made it my lifestyle. The best part of WW is that you don't have to eat certain foods, you can eat anything you like. You just have to work it into your points for the day. When trying a diet, as soon as you stop the diet, the pounds just creep back. In WW we don't count calories, we work on the point system. It works! Try it.
    Last edited by Donnamarie; 05-17-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Donnamarie