Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Army SOS >

Army SOS

Army SOS

Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3
We call it hamburg gravy. It's great over a big pile of mashed potatoes. They served this to us back in the 70's in school. Very filling.
We call it hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes. They served this to us back in the 50's in school. Between SOS and buttered baked perch in school, I was in hog heaven!!!!!! Sixty some years later I am still making SOS.

Also #1 husband, who was in the Air Force called Creamed Chipped Beef over Baking Powder Biscuits SOS. Love that too, but it is a tad on the salty side.

I also throw in a can of mushrooms into the Hamburger Gravy. Serve it with peas, mix the whole mess together on the plate. It truly is a comfort food that you would never, ever find on the Cooking Channel, eh? Edie
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
We call it hamburg gravy. It's great over a big pile of mashed potatoes. They served this to us back in the 70's in school. Very filling.
We call it hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes. They served this to us back in the 50's in school. Between SOS and buttered baked perch in school, I was in hog heaven!!!!!! Sixty some years later I am still making SOS.

Also #1 husband, who was iin the Air Force called Creamed Chipped Beef over Baking Powder Biscuits SOS. Love that too, but it is a tad on the salty side.

I also throw in a can of mushrooms into the Hamburger Gravy. Serve it with peas, mix the whole mess together on the plate. It truly is a comfort food that you would never, ever find on the Cooking Channel, eh? Edie
I grew up with the creamed chipped beef, now I use the Buddig beef in the packets. Not quite as salty. Have also used the ham. My brother always had to say the name not the letters. He thought he was sooo funny. :roll:
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by dewie45
Originally Posted by Edie

Also #1 husband, who was iin the Air Force called Creamed Chipped Beef over Baking Powder Biscuits SOS. Love that too, but it is a tad on the salty side.

I grew up with the creamed chipped beef, now I use the Buddig beef in the packets. Not quite as salty. Have also used the ham. My brother always had to say the name not the letters. He thought he was sooo funny. :roll:
I use also Buddig - I remember for three of us I would use four packages of Buddig beef. I think they were like 29 cents a package. And when you are trying to save a little money, that, with a vegetable and salad is a perfect dinner. Edie
Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM

Thank you. I forgot about this recipe, used to fix this when my kids were little. Will have to fix it again.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Poakie
Thank you. I forgot about this recipe, used to fix this when my kids were little. Will have to fix it again.
Sounds good, doesn't it?~ Edie
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

I always thought SOS (military slang - I won't translate the anagram!) was Creamed (dried) Chipped Beef. It was made with a white cream sauce and served over toast. Armor Meats still makes it - it is packaged in an 8-oz. glass with a metal lid. In fact, Stouffer's makes frozen creamed beef just like what I grew up on. I still love it. Never knew it was SOS until my ex-army husband told me - years and years ago!

My kids got hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes in school in the 70's, and I like that, too, but it's not what we called SOS.

Maybe it depends on what area you're from.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

I always thought SOS (military slang - I won't translate the anagram!) was Creamed (dried) Chipped Beef. It was made with a white cream sauce and served over toast. Armor Meats still makes it - it is packaged in an 8-oz. glass with a metal lid. In fact, Stouffer's makes frozen creamed beef just like what I grew up on. I still love it. Never knew it was SOS until my ex-army husband told me - years and years ago!

My kids got hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes in school in the 70's, and I like that, too, but it's not what we called SOS.

Maybe it depends on what area you're from.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM

no idea but my dad was in the AF and when my mom made this, they always called it SOS. Also it's the name of at least 2 recipes at allrecipes.com, both of which use ground beef, so apparently others do too. I've never had it with the jarred beef.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM

`
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM

Thank you for sharing with us!!