Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Avocado a day >

Avocado a day

Avocado a day

Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 AM

When I was a little girl my mom would mash an avocado and put it on a piece of heavily buttered toast. (Toast needs to be very light in color.) Then she would broil the toast just a little until it was bubbly on top. She would sprinkle Parmesan cheese on hers before broiling but I didn't care for it.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Summer fare....half filled w either tuna or chic salad, and any fruit sliced with a scoop of cottage cheese.....I remember a time we were told avocadoes were a no-no....not for me - ate them then, eat them now.......
Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I love a good salad with avocados and tomatoes. Or just make a sandwich out of avocados and tomatoes with little lettuce on bread. Don't forget the wine! Also throw in a well done fried egg and you have a great breakfast sandwich.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I love a good salad with avocados and tomatoes. Or just make a sandwich out of avocados and tomatoes with little lettuce on bread. Don't forget the wine! Also throw in a well done fried egg and you have a great breakfast sandwich.
Slap a thin slice of red onion on that sandwich for visual and gastronomic bliss.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 AM

For those who are concerned about the cost of Avocados, where I live the big ones are $2.50 to 2.99 each. This past week they were buy one get one free.

The green grocer gets tiny ones in that sell for under a dollar.

When I find them on sale, I buy the firm ones and keep them in the fridge. It only takes a couple days on the counter to soften them up. This is the only way I have found to stock up on them when they are on sale.

Due to price ds and I share one big one a week.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I can buy a mesh bag of 6 for $3 here. I am sure the price is determined by supply and demand. Not as much demand here in Canada yet so they are priced to move? I waited til mine were perfectly ripe, cut them in half to remove the seeds(because I wanted to root them) and put them back together with a piece of wax proper between the halves. I put them in a freezer bag to freeze.
The one I took out of the freezer this week (like a rock), I thawed and made my pudding. It looked just about like fresh with only a little darkness on the surface. I Googled and they said Avacados freeze well.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:10 AM

I love them too plain with a little salt.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I love avocados, but I have to mortgage my house to buy them--the prices are crazy!
If you like guacamole, buy avocados when they are on sale. You can freeze them whole just make sure they are ripe before you freeze them. I mention guacamole because once they have been frozen they are way too soft to slice. Or you can make avocado soup. I can chicken broth one ripe avacado a little lime and salt puree in blender or food processor . Serve warm or chilled.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM

I love avocados. I had guacamole salad for lunch. It is a recipe from food network, by the Barefoot Contessa. I also love them with an egg. Cut in half and remove the seed, scoop out a little bit of the flesh so a raw egg will just fill the hole. Put in a pan and bake at 375 until the egg is done to your liking. Can top with bacon and cheese. Slice it in a small casserole and top with chopped spinach, peppers or whatever and an egg and bake. MMMMMM! Having one tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

A friend of mine mixes avocado with garlic powder (or seasoning of your choice and puts it on an English muffin with alfalfa sprouts and a slice of Swiss or provolone then puts them under the broiler till the cheese melts. It is the first time that I REALLY enjoyed avocado