Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Banana Bread Recipes >

Banana Bread Recipes

Banana Bread Recipes

Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 AM

Default Banana Bread Recipes

I am looking for yummy Banana Bread Recipes, can you share yours with me, PLEASE!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:31 AM

I like to mix Whole Wheat flour with white flour. Add an extra egg if you are making a big loaf with 3 cups flour. Add interesting textures like Toasted Flaxseed, or sunflower seeds. For sweetener, add half honey/ half sugar. I add vanilla which seems to enhance the flavor of the bananas. Every time, it turns out different when I make it. For example, add half cup sweetened shredded coconut or crushed pineapple (drained) to the mix. Note: If you have friends or family with nut allergies, avoid all the nuts, for example, if you are taking your banana bread to a reception or pot-luck luncheon, etc. where there might be people with nut allergies. Often I add sour cream (quarter cup to one half cup), if I don't have any milk. It is hard to ruin banana bread...

Last edited by yonnikka; 01-25-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Years ago I clipped this recipe from a magazine and it's my favorite one to use. It's from the JailHouse Historic Inn but I don't know where that is!

mix 1 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

add 2-3 medium overripe bananas, 1/3 cup soft butter, and 2 Tablespoons buttermilk (I usually use soured milk)

beat with mixer on high for 2 minutes

stir in 3/4 cup flour with 2 eggs. Only stir until mixed in. Then stir in chopped walnuts. The recipe says 1/4 cup but I use way more than that.

bake in a preheated 350 oven for 55-60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack. Cool and wrap overnight before eating. (But really, who waits?)

the recipe calls for using a greased loaf pan, but I've found that using a couple smaller loaf pans works better, otherwise the edges get so dry before the middle is done. I've also used a sprayed silicone muffin pan on a cooky sheet. It is a really good tasting and easy recipe.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM

I have never like banana bread and then I found this recipe. My friends and coworkers call it The Best Banana Bread Ever. I gave this recipe to my nephew who's a fireman and got a thank you note from the firehouse!
The trick to great banana bread is to let the bananas get to the stage where you think they need to be thrown out: almost to mush. Seriously, they need to be really, really over ripe.
Don't over beat the mixture at any stage or the bread will be dry and overflow the pan.
Cream Cheese Banana Bread
3/4 cup butter softened, (1) 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened, 2 cups sugar, 2 large eggs, 3 cups of all purpose flour, 1/2 tea. baking powder, 1/2 tea. baking soda, 1/2 tea. salt, 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, 1 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 tea. vanilla. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour 2 bread pans or bundt pan.
Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, just until blended. Stir together flour, soda and salt and add gradually to butter mixture, beating at a low speed just until blended. Stir in bananas, nuts and vanilla. Spoon into pans and for an hour or until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes and then turn out to let cool.
If you want to make muffins the time for baking will be 25 minutes.
Hope you enjoy!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM

So enjoying your recipes and comments!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:14 AM

This one is totally yummie. I think the secret is the sour cream. It comes from The Garden Way Bread Book.

1 egg
2/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 teasp vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas....about 3
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

I generally leave out the cinnamon as I don't like it, but this calls for it.

Oven to 350 degrees. BAKE 1 AND 1/4 HOURS Seems like forever with kids waiting for a taste.

Banana bread doesn't really test done. Push down on the top with finger, if there is firm resistance it's probably overdone. If nicely springy it's done. If it is squishy then probably not done.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:44 AM

I have been making Banana bread and adding mini chocolate chips to it - now I cannot make it any other way. About a cup is needed and it adds a great flavor, especially if you like chocolate!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 AM

I had a great simple recipe, that I misplaced, boo!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Carrot Banana bread/with pecans, Chocolate Banana Bread/with walnuts, Sour Cream Banana Bread w/out nuts.
The carrot version I do cut in 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, removing 1/2 cup A.P. Martha Stewart has has a honey, cream cheese spread that pairs well with this recipe. I served this at a Bridal shower luncheon everybody raved and wanted the recipe.
The choc. version I blend the two recipes that I have found online.-We make a banana bread split dessert with this. BB on the bottom, scoop Vanilla ice cream, choc. sauce, homemade strawberry sauce.--One of our favorites.
The hubby loves banana bread, seems I make BB a lot.
There is a peanut butter, choc chip version I have made it, DH loved it, mho-it was okay.

All my recipes can be found by googling.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 AM

Back in the 1960's, I sent this recipe to a local newspaper contest and won $1. I still love and use the recipe every time I bake banana bread. DO not overbake it. Banana Bread- 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup shortening, 2 eggs, 3 T. milk, 3 mashed ripe bananas, 2 cups flour, 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 cups nuts-optional. Cream sugar, shortening and eggs together. Stir in milk and bananas. Add dry ingredients and stir into wet mixture. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. This makes one large or two small loaves. Freezes well.