Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Blackberry Preserve Ideas? >

Blackberry Preserve Ideas?

Blackberry Preserve Ideas?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM

I love frozen berries, eat them like popcorn
Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Blackberry gin or vodka is also very, very nice. I try to make some every year.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Be sure to wash them (gently) first, to let the Japanese Beetles float to the surface. The little boogers are hard to see on blackberries. I grow a 50 foot row of these wonderful fruits and they can take up a lot of freezer/container space. I like the smoothe idea to condense them. My grandkids have been making smoothe popcycles with the sour cherries and now the black raspberries and soon the blackberries. Its magic at Meme's house where snacks grow on trees!
I just love this post, Jane! Can picture their happy faces.
I've been watching some red raspberry patches along Hwy 122 for the day they are ripe enough for me to stop and pick. Of course, it'll probably be the day I have to move!!
I've not forgotten our "date", by the way; soon!

Jan in VA
Old 06-16-2017, 08:05 PM

My DH and daughters love frozen blackberries and raspberries just to eat as a snack. We have to buy them here - but I place them in a quart size ziplock bag - they are one layer only so they don't freeze together. I have no idea how long they will last because they never say in the freezer longer than 2 weeks. When they are in season and a good price I will freeze them by the amount I want in a pie or cobbler.

My friend told me she used to do it to their peaches when her girls were little - so last summer my DH went away for a week leaving me with several boxes of berries - way more than I could ever eat before they would rot, so I did the freezer thing. Little did I know I was creating a new treat for them.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Be sure to wash them (gently) first, to let the Japanese Beetles float to the surface. The little boogers are hard to see on blackberries. I grow a 50 foot row of these wonderful fruits and they can take up a lot of freezer/container space. I like the smoothe idea to condense them. My grandkids have been making smoothe popcycles with the sour cherries and now the black raspberries and soon the blackberries. Its magic at Meme's house where snacks grow on trees!
This made me think of my neighbour. They would pick their raspberries (which they let grow wild - no pruning for them or spraying either) and just freeze the berries. They picked out the beetles when they ate them or made jam. I only got berries from them once!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM

We grow blackberries at our place. Wow...yours are further along that ours. Our patch won't be ready for another 2-3 weeks. When they are ready, we'll be looking at bushels and bushels of them all at once. I try to make jam, juice and syrup with them, but freezing usually works well for all of the left overs. Wash, drain, when dry, put into freezer bags and pop them into the freezer. The frozen berries are great for smoothies.

Also, when we make jam, we use Pomona's Universal Pectin. It's a little more expensive, but it comes with a packet of
monocalcium phosphate, which really helps make the jam, or jelly set nicely....no more failures. (We obviously don't have enough calcium in our water and soil. I have to add calcium to my tomato plants as well.)

~ C
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM

My garden is sans pesticides and commercial fertiliers, but I've had no trouble with Japanese beetles...knock on wood. Gosh...maybe I just ate them and didn't know it.

~ C
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

We have black berries ripening outside our back door. My dad's apple tree is full of apples, so when they start falling I will get me a bunch of those to prepare for my freezer.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I like that method. Thanks! That way I don't need to defrost more than needed; perfect!
This is what I do.My husband needs to eat a lot of fiber.I pretty much keep frozen berries....all kinds & other stone fruits,plums,peaches & cherries.A cup to 0ne & 1/2C in his shakes.The frozen fruit including banana chunks keeps the shake thick & no sweetener needed.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Freezing sounds like a good idea. You can put them on pancakes...