Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Carrot Lox and Bagels...Vegan! >

Carrot Lox and Bagels...Vegan!

Carrot Lox and Bagels...Vegan!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Carrot Lox and Bagels...Vegan!

OK...so, I'm not always vegan. Honestly, I don't even try when I'm traveling, or going out to eat with others. But at home, I don't serve meat, or dairy. We do eat eggs occasionally, since we have a flock of hens, but other than that...we're vegan. We've been eating this way for several years now. You would think I'd be, "skin and bones," by now...but :::sigh::: no. I am healthier though and my numbers are looking pretty good, so I'll continue.

One thing that I've really missed is a warm, toasted bagel, topped with whipped, cream cheese and luscious, salmon lox. OMG...heaven! I recently found a recipe for carrot "lox" and my word, is it delicious! You have to take a couple of bites to realize that this is not really salmon that you are eating, but carrots. Go figger! I top a freshly toasted, onion bagel with vegan cream cheese, some carrot lox, some capers, a spritz of lemon juice...pure nirvana.

I would post the entire recipe on this thread, but it's much easier to just put up the link: http://olivesfordinner.com/2015/03/carrot-lox.html Besides, I wouldn't want to plagiarize. There are several recipes out there for carrot lox, but this one is my favorite. Try it...you'll be amazed! (Make this on a cool day, since the oven will be on for awhile.)

~ C
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 AM

Thanks! Our son is dating a vegan. It's going to be a learning experience for us.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:20 AM

Read that recipe....wow all that work to get those carrots to taste"almost" like lox! Easier to go buy " the real thing"---ain't goin' to hurt ya!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Well, it's not about the "hurt." Trust me...I've ingested a lot of things that would hurt me a lot more than salmon lox. It's about the fun in making the carrot lox. Besides, it wasn't that hard...just took a little time. It was also very tasty too!

~C