Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Breakfast+? >

Breakfast+?

Breakfast+?

Old 01-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Default Breakfast+?

I'm back on WW. (I've been bad...this pandemic year has not been kind to my waistline,) The one thing that I've learned from the WW people is that you don't have to starve, or take away foods to lose weight. You can even add foods...the more healthy foods the better. When I do that, I have more energy in the morning, so I'm taking more time to cook and revving up my morning meals. So, for my breakfasts I go all in with lots of good things added. It keeps me fuller longer and in a better frame of mind. Sometime it's just simply adding an ingredient, or two that makes a difference.

Examples:
fresh spinach added to eggs in a blender. Whirl and pour into a pan...bright, green eggs...yumm.
Freshly ground flax, or chia seeds to eggs, or tofu scramble...keep them by the stove/grinder...adds omega-3s to diet.
Mushrooms are free on WW and good for you. Same with most other veggies. I add lots of them to my scrambles.
Cut, fresh fruit. WW doesn't like smoothies, but cut fresh fruit is 0 points. It's so classy with pretty fruit on our plates.
Beans as a side. Beans for a breakfast side is an English thing. I like it. They really fill you up and are 0 points.
Tomatoes...fresh are better because of the sodium in canned. They really help to bulk up scrambled eggs, or tofu.
Avocado. Need I say more? 3 points, but well worth it IMHO.
Lots of spices really makes all the difference. Turmeric is so good for you and adds color too.
Yogurt, plain, added to fruit, or to a scramble, or dolloped on top of beans.

What else?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Egg Muffins are always a favourite of mine.
Make a batch and freeze.
Then a quick zap and presto a warm and delicious breakfast, anytime of the day!!

Another favourite is Oatmeal Porridge.
Make with fruit and choice of sweetener (maple syrup or brown sugar or artificial).
Freeze in single portions and yes again, zap for wholesome deliciousness!
Old 01-17-2021, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Egg Muffins are always a favourite of mine.
Make a batch and freeze.
Then a quick zap and presto a warm and delicious breakfast, anytime of the day!!

Another favourite is Oatmeal Porridge.
Make with fruit and choice of sweetener (maple syrup or brown sugar or artificial).
Freeze in single portions and yes again, zap for wholesome deliciousness!
What are egg muffins? You may have posted about them before, but my memory is murky.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Hi Tropit ... Egg Muffins are basically all the same ingredients (lots of variables!) as you would have in an omelet or frittata. Then baked in muffin cups. So a perfect grab and go, that you can actually eat like a muffin or of course, could eat on a plate with fork and knife. I know some eat them cold, but for me, warmed up is the only way, just because I totally detest anything egg that is cold, especially egg salad and devilled eggs!

Sorry, for the confusion!
Old 01-17-2021, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Tropit ... can see there are lots of Egg Muffin recipes via Google. Here's the recipe I start with. But I don't follow it too closely any more!

Egg Muffins
Beat together
12 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Saute together as few or as many add-ins as you would like. Then add to egg mixture and mix well. Possibilities ... onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, Canadian bacon, celery, ham, etc. (basically anything you'd add to an omelette)

Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (more or less, or choose other cheese, or omit). Mix all together.

Spray 12 cup muffin pan with no stick spray (I use Pampered Chef muffin stone). Fill with egg mixture. Bake at 350°-375°F for about 30 minutes.

* Muffins will puff up life a "real" muffin and may settle some as they cool. They will have a "skin" that will make them hand-eatable, if you wish.
* Eat straight from oven or keep in frig or freezer and zap in microwave
* If you add a lot of add-ins, you may have more than 12-muffins. Or pour some in a skillet and lunch is ready!
* Can be made as appetizer-size mini-muffins.

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-17-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:28 AM

I have decided that I am getting old. I'm craving the old familiar foods - fried eggs and toast, oatmeal with brown sugar and milk, cereal with fresh fruit - for my breakfasts these days. Only thing I've been able to add to my repertoire is Greek yogurt and fruit and the egg muffins (with salsa). The thought of most of tropit's suggestions is enough to make me gag. I have to wonder if it was my year of antibiotics that did a number on my adventurous taste buds. Once upon a time I loved the new and unusual. Now I'm just limiting portion size and eating mindfully....
BTW - you can do the egg muffins in a sheet pan and just cut to size after baking. They can be cut to fit a wrap and also they freeze really well. I like them for quick lunches so I can get back to the sewing room.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:09 AM

Yesterday I sautéed red onion and a handful of fresh baby spinach in a tsp of olive oil until tender then put them on a plate. I then cooked 2 eggs in the same pan ( I like mine medium or poached) and served over the top of the spinach with half of a medium avocado. It was delightful and about 310 calories and it kept me full all morning, even with a one hour strength/cardio workout.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Yesterday I sautéed red onion and a handful of fresh baby spinach in a tsp of olive oil until tender then put them on a plate. I then cooked 2 eggs in the same pan ( I like mine medium or poached) and served over the top of the spinach with half of a medium avocado. It was delightful and about 310 calories and it kept me full all morning, even with a one hour strength/cardio workout.
That sounds perfect!

I'll have to try the egg muffins. I like the sheet pan idea, because I hate scrubbing out the muffin tin. If I make them without cheese, then they would make a great 0 point snack.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Tropit ... Your thread got me thinking of this one. Haven't had them for sometime, but will get it in the rotation!

Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
dash salt & cinnamon
Sweeten to taste (sugar, brown sugar, artificial)
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
choice of cooked warm fruit

Mix dry ingredients. Add egg and milk. Let sit for a few minutes til oats soften.
Spray teflon skillet with no stick spray and warm pan. Pour in batter.
Cook til lightly brown on under side. Turn over and brown on other side.
Heat your fruit in microwave. Or poach on stovetop with maple syrup.
Place pancake onto plate. Top with hot fruit.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:55 AM

WW works. You have some terrific breakfast ideas. I have found that if I stay away from the carbs, I'm going to be alright for the day. Looks like your plan is similar. Eggs and add ins are my go to items. But I also include turkey sausage. There are little squares by Butterball next to the eggs in Wally World. I freeze them and add a few every once and a while. Real cheese is worth the points for flavor. A small cube of extra sharp cheddar adds alot of flavor.