Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bulk Cooking >

Bulk Cooking

Bulk Cooking

Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM

I do it, too. Some I pressure can--I'm not a fan of previously frozen potatoes, so I pressure can the chicken/turkey soup and beef stew. I do mole, lasagne, and enchilada casserole. I also buy ten-pound bags of chicken leg quarters (sometimes as little as 39¢ a pound), divide back from thigh from leg, boil the backs for stock, and make a couple of different dishes from the legs and thighs (Buffalo chicken legs, Asian spiced chicken, tandoori chicken, oven-fried chicken, ...) which I freeze. We get variety and value that way.
I'll stop now--sorry, I am a big fan of doing this!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Oh, I keep putting off doing this. I know I should cuz I don't really like cooking.

How do you make yam crusts? I love yams and a crust sounds good.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:07 PM

You just described my freezer.
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
With just two of us - I also try to do the same. Currently I have pulled pork, sloppy joes, chili, individual meatloaves, chicken soup, cooked chicken cubed in 1 cup portions, and pot roast. Thanks for more ideas.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Thanks for more ideas in bulk cooking.
I also have in the freezer, stuffed potatoes, made with sour cream, cream cheese, onions and I had some left over
garlic sausage, mushrooms, and cheese. Just reheat at 3:50 until steaming hot...So good too

I also like to make pork sausages. I use ground pork meat, with sage and a little red pepper flakes, no salt, I
like to keep the salt content down..I cook them in patties, then freeze..in a large freezer bag...

I precook converted rice in huge amounts and bag it into smaller bags...Hubs loves fried rice, he just grabs a small bag of rice and adds all his goodies, eggs, peas, touch of soya and lots of spice.

I also precook quinoa, macaroni, good to throw in home made soups....

Here is the recipe I used for the yam crust..I didn't use the quiche recipe though..
http://www.farmgirlgourmet.com/2013/...et-potato.html

Last edited by Paisley Maggie; 01-12-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 PM

You really did cook a lot. I only have to worry about myself so there is no need for me to cook in bulk. But there are times when I will make something that is too much for 1 meal, so I freeze some of it so that I don't have to eat the same thing several days in a row/
Old 01-12-2015, 09:23 PM

It's just me and hubby, but I do make big pots of chili and vegetable soup. I freeze some of it for later and it really comes in handy when I just don't feel like cooking. I'm also a fan of crockpot cooking. I did that today with a roast. The house smells good all day and the only thing we have to do is fix our plates.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:37 AM

I love to bulk cook also! Right now I have 6 lbs of chicken marinating. Thank goodness for plastic freezer bags!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 PM

With only one of me............I usually pull out a left-over from a restaurant in the fridge.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Hubby will purchase ground beef in bulk. He browns about one pound portions with onions and carefully drains the fat using a small colander. Freezing browned/ cooked beef is a time saver! We use freezer bags and usually weigh out portions of 12 to 16 ounces. This is a time saver for us.

I like to make chicken or pork chop-suey, pulled pork, chili, spaghetti sauce,soup, lasagna, etc. I have always considered this as making my own convenience food. It helps provide a nutritious meal and (drumroll) we have more control over the food budget.

When my children were small, I would freeze containers of cookie dough. Slice and bake type rolls, pre-formed individual portions, or in bulk enough for one or two trays. Parchment paper really cuts down on messy cookie sheets.

Forget mountains of left-overs and create planned-overs....... :-)
Old 01-18-2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
With only one of me............I usually pull out a left-over from a restaurant in the fridge.
my my favorite type of cooking!! Even though I bulk cook for roast, spaghetti, casseroles, ect, but only if I'm in the mood to cook.