Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butter bell >

Butter bell

Butter bell

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I just put mine in a covered butter dish and leave it on the counter. It never lasts long enough to go rancid.
Same here..salt is a preservative...most butter is salted..nothing's worse than tearing your bread up spreading with hard butter.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:05 AM

I use sweet butter for spreading, salted for baking...all in fridge..what a great invention!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:17 AM

Interesting, but I don't think it would be good in my part of the country. It's way too warm here.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 AM

I have 2 butter bells and use them all the time, when one is done, toss it in the dishwasher and fill the other. I let the butter soften and then push it into the bell well. It never falls out. Change the water every couple of days. The water only needs to cover the rim of the bell. In hot weather the butter can get a little soft- oh well. Love them, tidy on the counter and fresh spreadable butter all the time.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I adore my sweet yellow butter bell! I mash the softened butter down into the bell part before putting it into the bowl with the water.

By the way, that water should be just deep enough to cover the rim of the bell so that the butter is NOT exposed to the air and it should be changed every couple of days. This is how it keeps the butter from becoming rancid.

These have been used for many, many years in Europe. Gave one to my mom and daughters for Christmas two years ago.

The only problem I've had was when I let the temps in the house get too high in the summer....above 77-78....the butter became too soft for my liking.

Jan in VA
Ditto! My husbands grandmother had one and he wanted me to get one because he liked them. I was leery but as it turns out, I really like them.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 AM

I keep butter in a regular, covered butter dish year around. I've never had any trouble with it!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I didn't have a clue as to what a Butter Bell was so I looked it up on Yahoo. This webpage is all about the Butter Bell and probably has the answer to your question. http://www.butterbell.com/how-to-use-butter-bell-crock/
Wow, this sounds like fun and great! I think it would be great to try. However, not sure if I should invest in a butter bell as I'm in Florida. From what I read on the replies, the warmer temps may not be good for a butter bell.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 AM

I'd forgotten I knew what these were
google images brought back the option of a jar and a box
http://speedkin.com/2009/11/28/my-diy-butter-bell/

but reading the blog made me wonder if you all are belling a pound of butter or a cube of butter.
I have a covered rubbermaid style dish that holds a cube and regardless of temp it never goes rancid.
Probably takes 3 days to use a cube. But a whole pound...might be a different story.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I use about 1/2 to 1 stick of butter in my bell at a time.
Change the water every 2 days and keep the rim of the bell covered by the water to prevent it molding.
Again, over 77-78 degrees in the house will make the butter very soft.

Jan in VA
Old 05-13-2015, 05:57 PM
mac

I don't know what happened to my butter bell. I really liked using it. Probably one summer I got disgusted with it and threw it out. I didn't know about not using it in the summer. Darn.