Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Buttermilk and Vinegar Pies

Buttermilk and Vinegar Pies

Do any of you make these vintage pies? I've always wanted to try them. Recently, I sampled a buttermilk pie at a family reunion potluck but it was heavy and rather tasteless. Maybe I'll just stick with yummy chess pie. ;-)

Power Poster
    I have not as basically custard pies are not my favourites unless they have raisins or pecans. I have made sweet potato pie which is just like pumpkin. I have also used Stanley plums to make a fruit pie. All the flavour of cherry pie and a heck of a lot easier to pit and fill a pie shell.

I made a buttermilk pie once and found it to be similar to custard pie which I don't care for. I haven't made vinegar pie but I have heard it was a good substitute for lemon pie if you don't have any lemons.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

I was reading a book called Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith and they mentioned vinegar pie. I'd never heard of it.
    Lee Smith is a great southern writer and I loved that book but I still don't know anything about vinegar pie
    My Mom makes custard pie and it's so good..........

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I was reading a book called Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith and they mentioned vinegar pie. I'd never heard of it.
    Lee Smith is a great southern writer and I loved that book but I still don't know anything about vinegar pie
    My Mom makes custard pie and it's so good..........
    I think this is called Impossible Pie. You are making me hungry.

Blog Entries
    I have never made a vinegar pie, but make buttermilk pie often. We love it. I found the recipe in an Amish cookbook. 1 -9" unbaked pie shell. 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar,3 tbsp flour, 3 eggs, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp vanilla, pinch of salt, grated nutmeg.
    Preheat oven to 350. Place softened butter and sugar in mixer and cream well. Add flour eggs, buttermilk, lemon, vanilla and salt. Mix well. Pour into pie shell and top with a little bit of grated nutmeg. Bake for 1 hour until top it lightly browned.

I've never made either one but do have a recipe that calls for vinegar in the crust; that's a vinegary as I'd get in a pie!

Vinegar pie was the poor man's lemon pie.....historically made by rural cooks who always had vinegar but seldom lemons. It's quite good if done right -- a mixture of tart and sweet.

Well, that makes sense as the characters in the book I mentioned were very poor.

I love lemon pie and if I were to make a pie, I think I would go with that. I suppose vinegar could be interesting.

I see recipes for both on Pinterest all the time and while they are appealing because they are simple, I too always worry about how they will actually taste.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html