Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Butterscotch pie recipe? >

Butterscotch pie recipe?

Butterscotch pie recipe?

Old 03-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
Is your small pie plate something like this? Sounds like a good portion control idea.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/mini-p...-1100400553611
Yes, the one you sent the link to is the same. I purchased two when I saw them. Figured I could make two and freeze one for fruit pies. Anchor Hocking 6" diameter by 1.5" high. The link says made exclusively for Crate and Barrel, but that's not where I purchased mine. I don't have a Crate and Barrel near here. I think maybe I purchased mine at the grocery store. I see them listed at Bed, Bath and Beyond, too. They are a very handy size and good for cornbread and biscuits for just one person, too. Hum... now I'm thinking I need to make some Baby Lima Bean soup and cornbread tomorrow. lol
Old 03-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Happy2, Sure sounds easy enough. I ran out of brown sugar so will get more and try this one too.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

I am not here with a recipe for you but, I noticed that the recipes are only saying brown sugar. There is the light and dark type for sale, so I am sure the dark was the old original ingredient they are calling for. It would give a much darker richer flavor.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I am not here with a recipe for you but, I noticed that the recipes are only saying brown sugar. There is the light and dark type for sale, so I am sure the dark was the old original ingredient they are calling for. It would give a much darker richer flavor.
You are correct, dark brown sugar makes it darker and richer. However, I remember Mom used only light brown sugar because she thought the dark was too rich and she preferred a milder taste. If memory serves me right, women often used half light and half dark in recipes, too. But there was usually black strap molasses in the house, which Dad loved and would often drizzle over stuff. Since brown sugar is made with molasses, I guess he would have preferred dark brown sugar. Interesting thought!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
The recipes seem to mean to use light brown sugar unless specified differently. Or at least that's what the Amish recipe says. So far, I've only tried Happy2's recipe and used canned (Evaporated) milk and light brown sugar. Its very good, but next time I will use dark brown sugar. Oh and I also added a dash of salt.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wellphooey View Post
This recipe comes from my Mom's favorite cookbook, "The New 1932 Edition, Modern Priscilla Cook Book". The Butterscotch Pie was a family favorite and this page is well-splattered:
3 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
Baked pastry shell
Cream the butter and flour together. Add brown sugar and salt. Pour milk on gradually and cook in a double boiler for fifteen minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Add egg yolks well beaten. Cool slightly and add vanilla. Turn into baked pie shell, top with meringue made by beating the whites of the eggs until stiff and adding the sugar, and brown in a moderate oven. Time in baking, 20 minutes. Temperature, 325 degrees.
Trying this one now. Waiting for the meringue to brown then have to let it cool. I made it as is with regular whole milk and from what I tasted by "licking the spoon" I think its going to be great.

Last edited by Just Jan; 03-15-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:35 PM

My Mom was known for her butterscotch pie - my Dad always said her married her for it, and requested it for his birthday every year. My siblings and I always request it too, and fight over who gets the leftovers! I am able to make it myself now, but Mom's is still a favorite (she is 87 now). It is made from scratch and uses fresh milk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545100[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails butterscotch-pie.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Kim, Can hardly wait to try it. I only have light brown sugar now so will wait until I get groceries then it will be on my to do list! I sure sounds good. I like meringue topping so I'm wondering if I should add 3 egg yolks since I will be saving the whites. My dad was the only person I knew that wanted a birthday pie instead of a cake. Nice to know your dad did too.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM

Butterscotch pie was my mom's specialty. Whenever she wanted to "Wow" someone she would fix her butterscotch pie. It was the best - but she put merengue on it, which I did not care for. Not sure if my sister kept her recipes or not. I will need to ask her. She would also make a fantastic chocolate pie from scratch too.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM

Quiltingcandy...Yes, my mom also made a great chocolate pie. If your sister has your mom's recipes I would love to see both. Thanks.