Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Can I freeze-- >

Can I freeze--

Can I freeze--

Old 03-06-2021, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I grew up with home canners and freezers. None of the food was blanched except tomaotes for tomato juice so the skin could be removed. Corn was frozen with most of the husk left on. Green beans okra. strawberries, onions, peppers, etc were frozen right out of the garden stems and all. Canning and freezing took hours so all unnecessary work for piles of food was not done until a batch was needed to cook.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:51 AM

I just chop them up and then put them in snack sized baggies. I then put all the little snack baggies in a larger bag and date it and pop it into the freezer. Makes it really easy to get out the amount I need. I just made an omelet with my frozen peppers. nummy. they seem to keep well. I have also added them to things like chili and stir fry. Of course they aren't as crispy as fresh but they still test wonderful.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I clean peppers cut in slices, easy to dice while frozen. I can use them on pizza as I prefer the slices. Only takes a few seconds to dice while frozen for meatloaf, spaghetti. soup or whatever.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 AM

Thanks for all of your ideas. I was thinking I could freeze and then when needed for soups or fajitas just pull out of the freezer and use.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM

We like stuffed peppers. When I find a good buy on peppers, I will make the filling (I actually use my lasagna sauce recipe with ground beef, tomato sauce, spinach and cottage cheese, etc.) stuff the peppers, freeze on a tray and then transfer each to a sandwich sized bag. That way, I can take out only what I need. They still have a decent amount of texture after thawing/baking.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:43 AM

I also freeze peppers. Just wash, cut into slices and freeze. When needed for chili, etc. just take out what is needed and chop. I have also started this with celery. It seems with just the two of us, it wouldn't all get used before going soft.