Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canned peas >

Canned peas

Canned peas

Old 04-11-2023, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I once gave one of our dogs leftover tuna salad. He carefully left the peas and onions.
good thing he left the onions, they are harmful to dogs. Along with garlic.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:49 AM

I’m thinking donate. Why torture myself. $.88/can. Even trashed is better than sending good food after bad.

not online. A helper that likes shopping, just doesn’t always listen and remember. Hey, fine with me. If there’s something unusual, I’ll pop into store and check out FRESH fruit/veg. If helper gets those, well they might already be moldy. He tries. And loves doing it. Knock yourself out.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:50 AM

My mom used to make salmon patties and would make creamed peas to use as a sauce over them. They were just canned peas but I recall all of us kids liked this dish. I think it was just a basic white sauce with peas. We also sometimes just had these creamed peas over toast too. Again, us kids liked it. Money was scarce and mom was good at making low cost meals.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
My mom used to make salmon patties and would make creamed peas to use as a sauce over them. They were just canned peas but I recall all of us kids liked this dish. I think it was just a basic white sauce with peas. We also sometimes just had these creamed peas over toast too. Again, us kids liked it. Money was scarce and mom was good at making low cost meals.
We are not big green pea eaters but we do love them in a white cream sauce & yes, I just make a basic white sauce with butter, flour, salt & pepper & then add the peas & let simmer. We think they are so much better than just plain peas out of the can.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
We are not big green pea eaters but we do love them in a white cream sauce & yes, I just make a basic white sauce with butter, flour, salt & pepper & then add the peas & let simmer. We think they are so much better than just plain peas out of the can.
When I was little, there were times that the cupboard was pretty bare. Mom would make creamed pea soup for us. Amazing how one can could feed 3 kids and 2 adults! Once in a great while, I will make it for myself.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:58 PM

Mother used to drain the peas and replace the liquid with milk as she heated them. It was Dad’s favorite and I like them too.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

What type of peas? Green Peas? Blackeye peas, Field peas? Chickpeas? Green PIgeon peas (our favorite), Purple Hull peas? There are a lot of different peas on the grocery store shelf here. I keep lots of canned beans and peas, drain, rinse and cook in stock. No one has ever turned them away unless they really couldn't eat peas. Sure saved me a lot of time and gave the kids the protein along with mac and cheese on a busy week night.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:31 PM

This is from the cook who uses “fish sauce”, tofu, liquid smoke. Has $$$$ invested in spices that get used at every meal.

Creamed peas (ordinary green peas) sounds right up there with creamed canned spinach. Makes me gag just thinking about it.
Now creamed fresh spinach is very good.

Is there a take on chowder using ordinary (purée for the baby who covers the whole room spitting them out) peas? She fights, throws tantrum, hits….the whole 9 yards refusing purée canned peas. They’re just grouse. Yep, trash can worthy item. Someone must buy them, cause the store still stocks them.

Even internet can’t give me CANNED peas. It switches to fresh without me noticing.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Has $$$$ invested in spices that get used at every meal.

I restocked my supply of saffron, and vanilla beans. I also bought new to try spices of Long Pepper, Mahlab, and Lime leaves. Spices are expensive. I'm trying recipes from other countries.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I forgot to add that I also use milk in the sauce. It's so strange....I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this!