Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canned peas >

Canned peas

Canned peas

Old 04-10-2023, 05:52 PM

Default Canned peas

There was a sale on canned vegetables. A really good sale. So I asked for canned green beans, tomatoes and corn, ONLY.
I repeat, ONLY.
Was looking in pantry and find, canned peas. I LOTHE canned peas. After a few words with myself, I decided to be nice. Since there’s no pineapple for the ham, what can I do with canned peas.

In a pan, mashed them (they don’t mash easily). Added cloves, dry mustard, ginger, garlic, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Cooked it down. Not bad. Hubby won’t eat it.

Any other ideas on how to dispose of canned peas?
Old 04-10-2023, 05:56 PM

I’d donate it but I feel like I’m giving them canned sardines, canned mince meat, tongue. You get it. The stuff that’s been in the cupboard long enough the label is deteriorating. So donating is a distant last resort.

I’ve a recipe for pea soup. But the list of ingredients makes me think……canned peas with milk. Has to be better than than.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:24 PM

I found this post confusing, but I guess the question is what to do with unwanted canned peas?
If they're old (been in the pantry for 2+ years), toss in garbage.
If they're not old, donate to your local food pantry.

I'm with you, I do not like canned peas. Actually, I don't like 90% of canned veggies. Tomatoes and beans (black, pinto, etc) are about the only canned vegetables I'll buy.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:29 AM

I'm confused, there was a sale on canned veggies. I'm guessing you ordered on line and got peas instead of green beans.
I'm thinking you didn't notice you got peas and put them in the pantry and just discovered they are peas. If they are expired you should toss them, if they are still good I suggest donating them to the local food pantry.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:35 AM

Can't help. I like peas. I put them in green salads, rice dishes, and a pea salad with mayo, cheese cubes, and chopped onions.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:55 AM

Can't chickens eat them? Maybe a neighbor has chickens you could feed? Ya I don't like canned oeas either
Old 04-11-2023, 04:44 AM

Yes, donate them. I won't eat any canned veggie except corn as it tastes and most times looks the same as fresh and frozen. Lothe the look of peas and green beans as they look like they've gone old, nasty looking to me but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

We like canned peas in certain circumstances. Also frozen peas. Why worry about it. Pitch them if old and donate if expired. Why torture yourselves over some relatively inexpensive items.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Some dogs don't like peas, either.
My brother cooks all his dog's food. Once he included peas and when Rollo finished eating all the peas were at the bottom of his dish haha!!!
Old 04-11-2023, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Some dogs don't like peas, either.
My brother cooks all his dog's food. Once he included peas and when Rollo finished eating all the peas were at the bottom of his dish haha!!!
I once gave one of our dogs leftover tuna salad. He carefully left the peas and onions.