Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chipped Beef! As Gram would say... SOS ..

my mother did the chipped beef in the white sauce (flour, butter & milk) also. While preparing it, she would tuck slices of bread into the cups of a muffin tin and bake in the oven 'til browned....fill and serve...omg..it was so good......

thought I would serve it to hubby years later but the response was not too enticing..he was accustomed to the SOS of the armed service kitchens.....the hamburger version.........

SHABBYTABBY.........also loved the creamed tuna......with noodles......things were stretched out those war days.......

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    My Mom called it S on a S too. I had it at a friend's house and she was rather snobbish about it when I came home raving about it. Said that name came from soldiers eating it too many times during the war.
    My husb. was a 20 yr. Navy veteran & he said they always served SOS on boards his ships all the time. Yep, they really called it that, too. What else would you expect from a bunch of salty sailors though. He loved it.

We had this on the menu when I was a kid,,,more than 70 years ago. It was a filling meal and we never tired of it. I grew up during the food rationing of the second world war and we were glad for whatever we got.

My Dad was a 20 year Navy veteran, worked his way up through the ranks to CWO2. We often had SOS, the chipped dried beef type , also the creamed tuna on toast or noodles;whatever Mom had on hand. I'm one of 5 kids, so meals that fed lots of kids and was cheap was important.
    I've not had either of these dishes in years, I might just have to make some, but with the hamburger rather than the dried beef in the jars.

My Dad, WWII, made us SOS using the chipped beef w/peas. My Uncle Renee' on the other hand WWI, made his with hamburger. I prefer the chipped beef. Also used to get fed creamed tuna (ugh) and then there was this stuff they called Welsh Rarebit(?) a tomato thing with cheese---eeewwwwww!

Blog Entries
    Dried Beef Gravy was something we would have on Thur or Fri on what Mom called a "short pay week" (no weekend or overnight differential) 5 kids 2 adults, my Mom could stretch it to feed 10 if she needed to!! (not unsual to find a extra body or 2 around the table.) Over toast and/or mashed potatoes. I think most of the babies in our family had Dried Beef Gravy or Gravy from my Mom's Pot Roast over mashed potatoes as the first REAL food they had, lol.

Isn't it interesting how food can trigger memories............

My mom made slumgullion, too. I think she was just using up leftovers. I haven't heard that word in years. Funny.

We always had our SOS (creamed chipped beef) on pancakes for breakfast. Now in my sixties, that's the only way I'll eat pancakes. It's a special treat every once in awhile since no one else in my family eats it.

I had this at a friend's house. It was her favorite and she wanted to share it. It was quite tasty!

My Dad was in the army and said they served this Sh** on a Shingle in the Mess Hall all the time. It was chipped beef in gravy servedon top of toast. He wouldn't touch the stuff after he got out, according to my mother.
    Karen in Kentucky

Love it. I jar dried chipped beef (use to come in a jar you could recycle into a drinking glass). Rinse meat to rempve excess salt. Brown some flour in a skillet. add cut up meat and milk. Let simmer til it thickens up and pig out!! I just throw it together... don't measure anything

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    My Mom called it S on a S too. I had it at a friend's house and she was rather snobbish about it when I came home raving about it. Said that name came from soldiers eating it too many times during the war.
    Yes, I too think the name came from the WWII soldiers; heard too many of them talking about it in my youth. Also, most of them hated Spam!
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Mom always had the little glass jars of dried beef. She craved salt and would eat them all the time. We never had creamed chipped beef on toast as Mom would not allow milk gravy in our house. Dad would sometimes order it when eating out if she was not with him as he grew up on it. I never heard of milk gravy or creamed chipped beef on toast until college. Also had my first hominy then too. Foods certainly do bring back memories

Sure! Buy a jar of Chipped beef and make a white sauce from butter, flour, and milk. (Any basic cook book will give you the proportions for the sauce.) Rinse the chipped beef and then add to your white sauce. Add salt to taste (not much because the beef is already salty,) also add pepper. Thicken the sauce if necessary and spread over toast or hot biscuits. Yum! Do you know why it is called SOS? During WWII the soldiers were served it so often and it was not very good when prepared for hundreds of guys at once, that they nicknamed it SOS. A bil would not touch the stuff.

We grew up eating this. White gravy over Buddig packaged meat. On toast. Yuck.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    When I was a kid, my Mom's "creamed chipped beef" was a white sauce (butter, flour and milk) to which she added chopped up Buddig beef, from the small pouch, and peas. We ate it on toast. Not my favorite, but I liked it better than what she called "chop-suey"!!!
    I remember having this one. We had it on nights that dad worked late (he didn't like it) Mom just couldn't make toast fast enough for 4 kids!

I remember eating this when I was a kid. Mom used hamburger most of the time. My DH said that when he was in the Navy, SOS was made with chipped beef; Sh** on a shingle was made with hamburger; and Sh** in a duffel bag was stuffed peppers. Got a laugh out of him!! Sounds like something I need to make but since the chipped beef has so much salt, which I can't have, I'll make mine out of hamburger. It'll bring back fond memories.

I make my own with jar dried beef and white sauce, dash of cayene and ready for rice or toast. BTW, Stouffers has it in the frozen food case at your local grocery store. Same as Mom used to make.

Yep! My grandma (who raised me) used to prepare it often. I loved it then and I love it now (thank you, Stouffers).

She would also make what she called "goulash" (which I went on to make it for MY kids). It was ground meat, sauteed onion, its own brown gravy and a small can of green peas poured over mashed potatoes. I haven't had that in decades. The very thought of it makes me hungry.

My brother called it that when he was in the Navy.We had it growing up just like Pinkiris. I like it.

Wow! This brings back sooooo many memories! Grew up eating creamed chipped beef, creamed tuna, creamed hard boiled eggs, and goulash. Years ago Mom told me it was because with eight kids, money was really tight, and sometimes flour, water and eggs were about all she had. The creamed eggs were a result of not having any tuna to add!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If I don't feel like making white cream gravy I use an envelope of Peppered White Gravy that you add 3 cups water to. I use the dried beef in jars, cut in bitesize pieces. I don't add the dried beef until the gravy is smooth. This doesn't need salt....there's plenty in the beef.
    We ate this a lot when I was a kid...we were very poor but I didn't know it.....my foster mom would rinse the jarred dried beef because it is SO salty; she would make a cream gravy, lots of black pepper and we would eat it on toast.....takes me back to wonderful awesome memories ! Another childhood memory was when we went fishing, which was often, we would pack our lunch to eat while fishing.....it would be CANNED corned beef (fat and everything), white bread and mayonnaise.....(makes me cringe to think of it, but it was wonderful then); too, we would have vienna sausages out of the can, saltine crackers and yellow mustard ! When I was a kid I thought my foster parents were really really rich because we had iced tea each night with supper/dinner and also had some kind of dessert...might be syrup on biscuits but it counted as dessert !

Boy, do I remember this dish. Since my Mom worked, it was a quick and easy dish to make in the evening.

That's what the military called it when my dad was in the Army. Otherwise known as SOS

My dad used to make this, said he first had it when he went into the Air Force back in the 50's. He always browned the chipped beef in the butter and then made the white gravy right on top of it : ) I still like it, though I don't make it very often.
    Barb

No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to...Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast