Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Chocolate Cream Balls >

Chocolate Cream Balls

Chocolate Cream Balls

Old 12-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Yummy. These would be cute given in those little mini paper cups! What fun. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Sounds so good! have to bookmark these and try them! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 AM

these sound sinfully delicious! can't wait to try them!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 AM

ok, PhotoKevin, (or anyone else who has made these...) what did I do wrong?
I stirred the mixture over medium heat for at least 20 minutes. the mixture got thick(ish) and pulled away from the pan. I even checked a small bit in cold water to make sure it would hold together, but, when it cooled, it never quite got thick enough to roll into balls. Should I have cooked longer?
I sincerely want to know what I did wrong so I can fix it!! Off the spoon this candy is SOO good!! Tastes like a chocolate caramel to me, and to salvage the batch I have that's too soft, I'm hoping overnight in the fridge will make it workable so I can roll out and dip in chocolate coating.
Please help!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 AM

This sounds really good and easy to make. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 AM

I too made these candies and mine came out very soft also. I put the mix in the fridge to cool completely. I did butter my hands and manage to roll the very soft balls and then coat with nuts. However, they never became firm enough to hold their shape. I believe I didn't cook them long enough. I wonder if there is a certain temperature on the candy thermometer that it has to reach before removing from the heat source? Mine are currently frozen for Christmas, but would love to improve the texture. They are absolutely delicious.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltlove View Post
I too made these candies and mine came out very soft also. I put the mix in the fridge to cool completely. I did butter my hands and manage to roll the very soft balls and then coat with nuts. However, they never became firm enough to hold their shape. I believe I didn't cook them long enough. I wonder if there is a certain temperature on the candy thermometer that it has to reach before removing from the heat source? Mine are currently frozen for Christmas, but would love to improve the texture. They are absolutely delicious.
Quiltlove,
I was afraid PhotoKevin might not check back in here, so I messaged him. He says we didn't cook long enough. Didn't advise on a candy thermometer temp, but, I am almost positive that I cooked them to soft ball stage. Trying again this week for gifts (I can't NOT share these--I can already hear the reaction!!), and I'm going to try with the thermometer and go past soft ball stage to firm ball, which on my thermometer is 248.
Let me know if you try again, too!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM

these should be called One Sweet Heart Attack
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 PM

I am so sorry to have neglected those of you who have tried the recipe and didn't get the results you wanted! I don't have a specific temperature the mixture must reach when cooking it. I do know that when I cook the mixture, I have to cook it for around 20 minutes on medium high heat. When stirring, you want to see a DEFINITE change in the mixture's density, and when stirring, the mixture should completely pull away from the sides of the pan. I do hope this helps. If anyone else needs any advice, feel free to PM me. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 PM

This sounds soooooo good! I will definately have to try it!
Tammy