Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Coconut BonBons >

Coconut BonBons

Coconut BonBons

Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM

I went Monday night the 8th to my First Quilting Guild Christmas Party. It was loads of fun. We had to take a finger food. Being busy making Eriks Dinosaur quilt. I had to think of something easy. Looking in my recipe Book ,Homemade one, I found this recipe my 2 DD's and I made together. It was so much fun to make this candy with them. So I thought maybe some of you might like it to do with your kids. Warning it is messy, but oh so much fun. :lol: If anyone can come up with a good way to dip the balls other than using your fingers please let me know, AHHHHHH But it wouldn't be as much fun now would it? :lol: :lol:
I wrote this up on microsoft word, so if anyone can't download pm me and i will do it another way.
Bill'sBonBon
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-57479.doc (21.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 12-14-2008, 02:13 PM

This recipe sounds & looks wonderful. I plan on sharing it with my daughter. I know that she & her children would have great fun making this candy.

Thank you for sharing,
Cheryl
Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 PM

COCONUT BON BONS

Ingredients
1… stick Butter or Margarine I use unsalted Real Butter
1…Box of Powdered Sugar
½… Can of Eagle Brand Milk
1…Large Bag Coconut
1…Cup finely chopped pecans
1… Teaspoon Vanilla
Paraffin
You need to shave the right amount off a block A little at a time. Shave 2 or 3 curls off the end. You want just enough to make choc. Stick. You will see the choc. Change gloss. Too much you will have a waxy feel when you eat it.
1… Large bag of semisweet chocolate Bits
I sometimes used 2 big bags, when it cools it gets thicker and you use more on each ball.
Wax Paper

MIX
Melt Butter mix the ½ can of Eagle Brand Milk, powered sugar, coconut, vanilla and Nuts. After you have it mixed really well then roll into whatever size balls you desire. I used a melon ball maker to scoop and maybe added a little then rolled it into a ball.
Place balls on wax paper.
Melt Chocolate and Paraffin together. Cool for about 5mins. You need to keep this warm or it will start to thicken.
Dip Balls into melted choc. Put back on wax paper.
I chilled them over night.

This recipe is a good one for children to help, My Daughters did most of the rolling and helped with the dipping it was messy it was fun we laughed at the choc. That went everywhere and me trying to keep the balls at a manageable size. Wonderful Memories.
Bonnie Brown

Sounds good! You can copy the Word doc, then come to the writing screen here and use control+C tp paste. It will come through as plain text.

I've always used 2-tined forks to dip candy. You didn't mention an amount for chocolate - I'm assuming it's a bag of chocolate chips.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Hi MoonPi, Yes it is a large bag of choc. chips. I should have said chips. I did say 1...large bag of choc. bits. That is the way it was given to me Years and Years ago. :lol:
Bill'sBonBon
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 AM

I have a plastic type spoon that is for dipping bon bons in Chocolate, it doesn't have a bottom in it. My mother bought it years ago for making candy. It is about like a circle with a handle attached. I works good for these. It has been years since I've made bon bons.

Thank you for the recipe and bringing back wonderful memories.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by G-Maw Wilda
I have a plastic type spoon that is for dipping bon bons in Chocolate, it doesn't have a bottom in it. My mother bought it years ago for making candy. It is about like a circle with a handle attached. I works good for these. It has been years since I've made bon bons.

Thank you for the recipe and bringing back wonderful memories.

I have the same spoon GMawWilda speaks of and I have a 2 tine plastic fork that I bought at the same time which works good for dipping chocolate candies. Hint: I always put the bon bons in the refrig or, if they are a little soft, into the freezer until almost frozen then I use a tooth pick to dip the centers in the chocolate. On the end of the toothpick you can make lots of the excess chocolate drip off (centrifical force) by rolling the toothpick between your fingers a few times. I also like to have my foil lined cooky sheet COLD when I put the fresh dipped chocolates on the sheet. The cold sheets cause the chocolate to set fast so you don't have cute little "skirts" on your bon bons.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 AM

I dip lots of chocolates every year & I use a meat fork. Here is a list of some of the things I dip. If anyone is really interested in a recipe I am always glad to share.

Peanut butter cups
Mints (york pepermint patties)
Coconut (mounds/almond joys)
pretzels
cranberries (for this I used a regular spoon)
peanut butter cookies

Old 12-15-2008, 02:42 PM

What do you make with cranberries......I have a large bag :D