Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cookie recipe from India >

Cookie recipe from India

Cookie recipe from India

Old 12-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Default Cookie recipe from India

I desperately need an easy to make cookie recipe from India. I have found several on-line but the ingredients and measurements list are in their native language. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:09 PM

would google translate work?
I've done this with other stuff - you copy and paste the information into the side of the translator that is the language you want to translate and then it translates into English.
I did this in reverse (English to Polish) and had a friend who is fluent in Polish read for accuracy. She said it was pretty accurate.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Payra - pistachio sugar cookies

1/4 lb sweet butter
3 cups powdered milk
7/8 cup (7 oz) fresh milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
2 1/2 TBL finele chopped pistachio nuts

Melt butter in a heavy pan over low heat. Set aside to cool. Mix powdered milk and fresh milk together with the cooled butter. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Return to medium heat stirring constently until it dries and forms a dough. (around 40 minutes) Mix in sugar and cook another 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cardamon and mix well. Remove from heat. Take a tablespoon of the warm dough and form a ball. Press with fingers to make a thin round. Sprinkle with nuts and press nuts into dough with a fork. Payras taste best warm

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-21-2019 at 04:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Most popular Indian desserts consist of some kind of dough fried and served with a sugar syrup, or a rice or carrot pudding. I have recipes for those as well as a cheese fudge. If I had to do this I would go with pineapple cake. Bake a basic vanilla cake but add 1 tsp pineapple extract. Cut the cake into two layers. Whip one cup of cream with sugar and pineapple extract.Divide the cream into three portions. In one third of the cream add 3/4 cup canned cherries and 4 slices of chopped pinapple. Put a layer of cake on a serving platter and soak with 3-4 tbl cold milk. Spread with 4 tbs pineapple jam. Spread the cream with fruit on top of the jam. Place second cake layer on the jam. Soak this layer with milk, Frost the cake with the plain whipped cream. Decorate with cherries and pineapple bits.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. Using the language translation function available on-line never occurred to me. LOL
Old 12-20-2019, 08:25 PM

janiebakes, thanks for the recipes. I am going to attempt to make the pistachio sugar cookies. It appears to be a pretty simple recipe so hopefully I will be able to make them without screwing them up.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 AM

Hope the recipe works for you. It is from The Art of Indian Cuisine by Pranati Sen Gupta and everything I have tried from it was been great. I think I would use use a nonstick pan to cook it in. All that milk and sugar sounds sticky.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:12 AM

With my vegetarian and now vegan son, we eat a lot of Indian foods. We have a favorite spot that offers a lunchtime buffet, all vegetarian and it turns out that it is rated Kosher so we have a wide variety of families that go there. Now that son is vegan we don't go there very often, the ghee takes it out.

Anyway, most people don't have ovens in hot climates and so there are fewer of what we think of as traditional cookies, but there are a lot of sweets some of which are very easy to make.

I think the Ladoo or Sandesh from here would be very easy and in everyone's comfort zone.
https://www.easycookingwithmolly.com...ssert-recipes/

There are many of them that use cream of wheat! The place I go to usually has cubes, cold, flavored with rose water. But when I did a search using "cream of wheat indian dessert" I got this one, it appeals to me --
https://sukanya-keralaiyer.blogspot....sari-also.html
Old 12-21-2019, 09:43 AM

That first link is a very nice set of recipes. I would go with the coconut ladoo too and save the long time stirring called for in the coolie recipe I posted. Indian sweets are so varied. A friend gave us hard candies from India and we were amazed and dismayed that many of them were hot, salty, sour or all three! So much depends on what you are used too.