Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking okra? >

Cooking okra?

Cooking okra?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Wow!!!
Great post Bobbinwinder....
Now maybe I have to try this next time with the Gumbo...
K
Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Bobbinwinder, when you grow it do you ever let them dry as pods? you can sell the dried pods around here- they are very expensive.
Yes, I did let some dry one year, and sprayed them gold...they were lovely. We've had such a miserable time with the vegetable gardening here the last few years...drought is terrible to deal with. Besides, I've been tending my fabric related addictions rather than the dirt related ones...LOL. It ceased to amaze me long ago what people will pay money for...and I'm as guilty as they come... can't recall selling anything that I ever made a real profit from.
There's an old heirloom okra that would be great for drying...it is certainly not good for eating imho...sometimes the seed catalogues will have it...it's called Cowhorn...it is big and the pods grow curved...hence, the name.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM

My family always grew okra and never had a problem with it being slimy. We lightly fried it (with no coating of any sort), then froze it for use in the winter with a tomato sauce based food. It never ever came out slimy or looking like anything being hit in the nose. Even my DH who I swear is the pickiest man on earth will eat okra now.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 AM

This whole thread has been quite amusing to me. Grew up in Tennessee I grew up eating boiled okra. Did not know there was any other way to eat it. When I went to college a friend of mine talked about fried okra. I had never heard of it. Asked my mom about it when I went home one weeek-end. She said why, of course you can fry okra. I love okra, fried, boiled, in soup, gumbo. JUst love it. Boiled okra is a true southern delicacy
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I have never noticed a slime i use okra in my gumbo all the time also fry it , sometimes i start frying in iron skillet (breaded with cornmeal) a little shortning or veg. oil. brown some then put it oven with my cornbread to finish delious.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
You can add it to soup and gumbo only if you were born in the south or have a strong stomach and the ability to eat slime. The only way for Yankees and the weak stomached to eat okra is to bread it and fry it.

A major word of caution --- never ever ever cook with tomatoes because it will look like what happens when you get hit in the nose by a line drive.
how true.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM

This is the best way to cook okra ever! Thank you so much. I live in Texas and we're big on fried okra here. Ive been cooking it all my life, in oil on the stove. I had 3 skillets of okra in the oven on Christmas day and it was great. I've cooked it once more since then. From now on this is the only way I'll be frying okra.
Thank you brendadawg
Old 12-30-2010, 07:24 PM

I was raised eating it and still love it. Grandma taught me to slice it, roll it in corn meal with just a hint of flour, salt and pepper, fry in bacon or sausage grease. Put on plate and surround it with fresh tomato slices!! Hot baking powder biscuits, peach or apple pie, cold butter milk and hot coffee for adults. That's mid day dinner or a later supper. And of course home made butter and jams or jellies for the biscuits.
I don't have any okra in the freezer, darnit!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM

I love to fry the okra and add it as a topping to a bowl of gumbo...This is definitely a southern thing..
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

i use okra in a lot of my veg soups. or veg beef, or veg/chicken soup. just add some, don't get really carried away. my soup is never slimy. maybe 6-8 cut pods per pot of soup.
i grew up in the south, and it took my yankie husband yrs. to appreciate my okra and or veg soup.