Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cooking okra? >

Cooking okra?

Cooking okra?

Old 10-18-2009, 03:51 PM

How do you cook this?
I bought some frozen sliced to add to my gumbo and my hubby said not to add it as it gets "slimy"
I thought you could add this to soups, stews, whatever...
He also said that they do not can it as it gets slimy as well.
Can someone clue me in?
Thanks,
Kirsten
Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM

yes wash first and then add towardsthe end do not over stir or it will get slimy
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM

You can add it to soup and gumbo only if you were born in the south or have a strong stomach and the ability to eat slime. The only way for Yankees and the weak stomached to eat okra is to bread it and fry it.

A major word of caution --- never ever ever cook with tomatoes because it will look like what happens when you get hit in the nose by a line drive.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM

I often eat okra and never have trouble with the slime. I use fresh okra and tomatoes all at once no problem Wash before you cut if using frozen put in to warm up only. Do not over cook live a bit firm kind of like green beans.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 AM

You can also add whole okra into your soup, stews.... I usually use the frozen kind. You never have to worry about it becoming slimy.
Happy cooking and enjoy!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Maybe I just have some sort of a strange okra aversion. Everyone else seems to think it's OK.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 AM
cb2

Another good way to eat fresh okra is to just steam it whole and then put salt and pepper on it. It's delicious. Oh, and you should try growing it. It starts out as a beautiful yellow flower and then it becomes an okra pod.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Okay, you're going to laugh maybe; but here's my family's method for cooking okra. We never want it boiled, etc. Always fried -- but in the oven. No mess all over the top of the stove.

Slice the okra in thin slices. Coat well with cornmeal, salt and pepper. I put the cornmeal over the okra in a bowl and stir it to coat it. Put the okra in an iron skillet, place a couple tablespoons of Crisco on top (it will melt in the oven). Place in a 450 oven. Remove it occasionally and stir. I use a small spatula and just "turn it" gently. I don't really know how long to tell you to cook it -- until it gets as brown as you want it. When it's almost brown enough, I put a couple pats of butter on it and continue to cook just a little more.

If you have lots of fresh okra from your garden, you can do this, cook it until it's just short of being as brown as you want it. Cool it, put it in freezer bags and freeze. When you want to have it during those winter months, just thaw the bag of okra, put it back in the iron skillet in the oven and finish cooking. Just like fresh.

We also use the leftover fried okra in soup. No slime.

Sorry for the long post. This is the way my mother and grandmothers cooked okra. I was an adult before I realized some folks actually fried okra on top of the stove (LOL). I led such a sheltered Southern life!

Wow, now I'm hungry!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Think I will leave the Okra out of my realm.
K
Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

If you want boiled okra put white vinegar in the water and it will not be slimy. But I was born and raised in the south and we always had okra in the garden it was one of the staple veggies next to crowder peas and butter beans.

Billy