Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Stuffing/Dressing outside of the turkey???

Blog Entries

Cooking Stuffing/Dressing outside of the turkey???

If you cook your dressing (I guess it's not stuffing in that case) separate from the turkey, how do you keep it moist? I have celiac disease and would rather not cook two turkeys, but I want the dressing for my guests to be as yummy and moist as if it were cooked in the turkey. Any ideas??

i just put it in a casserole dish and bake it till it is a bit crispy on top. I suppose you could cover it with foil and add a bit more broth to keep it soft but i prefer the crispy top and edges.

I usualy stuff my turkey with potatoes, celery, etc., and do the dressing separate. I like mine very moist so I buy canned chicken broth and add to the dressing to desired moistness.

I don't have a problem keeping mine moist (I don't ever put it in the bird). I put broth in it, along with apples and other veggies (leeks) and a variety of other things, all of which help keep it moist. I cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, but I do spray the foil with Pam to keep the dressing from sticking to it.
    M

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have cooked it in my crockpot with good results

Power Poster
    Broth from the turkey.
    SueDor

I've always made cornbread dressing and use broth to keep it moist. But several years ago we started frying our Thanksgiving turkeys, so I don't have any broth from that. I usually boil a chicken to get the broth, then just debone and cut up the chicken and put it in the freezer for another day.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

I usually do some in the bird and extra in the crockpot. Same recipe, just a little extra broth added to it. It doesn't take long for it to cook up in the crock.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My DIL is making the stuffing at her home and bringing it to our house on Thanksgiving. No problem as the turkey will cook quicker without stuffing in it's cavity. May in Jersey

Never thought about putting the dressing in a crockpot. Would definately be better than tying up oven space.

I make my dressing in the crock pot too-- I line it with foil and put the dressing in the foil -- then pour chicken broth outside the foil

Blog Entries
    I also make mine in the crock pot. It has always turned out very moist and delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving. Good dressing. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

I like my dressing kind of dry and put gravy on it. My Mom made it kind of soupy, I never ate any until I started making my own. Put Itlaian sausage, walnuts,mushrooms,celery,oinions and raw eggs in mine, pour some broth into it from cooking the giblets, put them in except for the liver. I use cornbread.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I do mine in a covered casserole in the oven. It turns out crispy on top and sides and soft in the middle, just the way my family likes it.

Pat

Blog Entries
    My Mama taught me to make dressing. She always said to mix it to the consistency that you wanted to be when it was done AND then add another cup of liquid. Because it will dry out a lot as it cooks. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by sandilee View Post
    I usually stuff my turkey with potatoes, celery, etc., and do the dressing separate. I like mine very moist so I buy canned chicken broth and add to the dressing to desired moistness.
    WOW I thought my family was the only one that did that with the potatoes except I do stuff the turkey with it!

This year I am making both the potato and a bread stuffing so using the crock pot sounds like a good idea.
    That way the oven is ready for the rolls and the extra dressing when the turkey comes out. I'll have to remember the extra cup of broth in the crock pot. I think it was kind of dry last year but with extra gravy....................no one noticed!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Blog Entries
    Thank you, everyone. You've given me lots of ideas.

I was at a catered meal and the stuffing was sooo good so I asked the caterer and she told me besides the broth she always puts a little ground meat in for moisture- most times hamburger and it doesn't change the flavor. It gets crispy for those who like it that way and stays moist in the center. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Can we have your recipe for stuffing in the crockpot? I've never made stuffing before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
    Can we have your recipe for stuffing in the crockpot? I've never made stuffing before.
    I would like the crockpot dressing too. I have the bags of stuffing but won't have room in my oven for it.

I use both cornbread and biscuits to make my dressing,with onion and celery. I use lots of broth. Yummy my favorite Thanksgiving item.
    Vicki W

Power Poster
    I usually have a big turkey in the oven and cooking space is scarce. I make a large foil package for my bread stuffing and seal it up tight. As others have mentioned, I do it to the way I like it before putting it in the foil and it comes out of the oven really nice. I always err on the side of dry because you can always pour a little gravy on it if desired. Bread stuffing that is too moist is like glue, not nice. The crock pot idea sounds wonderful. Next Thanksgiving I'll have to try it. (October in Canada) I put a large cooking onion in my turkey cavity for flavor and to keep the chest in shape as the bird cooks. The giblets, neck, heart etc. get simmered in a saucepan on top of the stove for extra flavor for my gravy. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I use Mother's recipe for cornbread dressing and my family would probably refuse to eat if I tampered with it at all. I personally would like to make the crockpot recipe. I've eaten it at company gatherings and it was delicious. If cooked holiday dinners for 50 years and now it's to late to experiment.
    jean

I cook mine the way my Gran taught me. I cook it in the same pan that I cooked the turkey, with butter , broth, and eggs never had a problem with it being moist. But I have found that you add it directly to the hips as it is going there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
    WOW I thought my family was the only one that did that with the potatoes except I do stuff the turkey with it!

This year I am making both the potato and a bread stuffing so using the crock pot sounds like a good idea.
    That way the oven is ready for the rolls and the extra dressing when the turkey comes out. I'll have to remember the extra cup of broth in the crock pot. I think it was kind of dry last year but with extra gravy....................no one noticed!
    Firstly, I have a celiac DIL, so I have to accommodate her which I am happy to do...I love her...but I would spray my foil with a non stick product. But, more importantly, do you eat the potatoes you put in the bird or do these potatoes serve a purpose,like soaking up extra fat, or adding to the flavour?
    Those who sleep under a quilt sleep under a blanket of love.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast