Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Corned Beef and Cabbage >

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Old 03-18-2020, 09:36 AM

Although I'm not a corned beef and (especially) cabbage fan, I made some yesterday for my inlaws.

Feature this - a 3 lb. brisket, frozen. It's 2:00pm. Threw it, frozen, into the Instapot for 102 minutes. Perfect!

Learned something new! The ability of the Instapot to cook from frozen (basically just needs a bit more time) was a revelation.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:32 PM

I understand there are reasons they call it Instapot! One of my friends loves her's, another one hated her's and took it back.

I was at Safeway today and with our shortages/Covid issues in the Seattle area, shopping is getting a bit more challenging. Mostly all they had at the meat department were left over corned beef and I looked at the label, 35% injection, which I decided not to get and which I may regret getting while I had my choice to select. I'm pretty sure the Costco variety is 20%. I'll have to go to the budget market and see what they are there.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 PM

At work we make corned beef by sprinkling it with the seasoning packet and braising it in apple juice in a low oven for four or five hours, until it gets tender. Then we cover the pans tightly and put it in the refrigerator for at least 48 hours before slicing and reheating to serve. The cabbage gets cooked until tender, and laid into the juices at serving time.