Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
crock pot mashed potatoes? >

crock pot mashed potatoes?

crock pot mashed potatoes?

Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 PM

Default crock pot mashed potatoes?

Has anyone done this? Do you cook and mash the potatoes as usual, then put in the crock pot to keep warm?
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 PM

Not Crock pot, but I make Make ahead mashed potatoes. Too late for Thanksgiving for this year.

5 pound yellow spuds, I use Yukon Gold
peel and boil in salted water.

Mash with 2 cups of full fat sour cream, 1-2 sticks of butter, grated sharp cheese. Add milk if needed.

I do not measure anymore as I have been making this for 20 years.

Add bacon bits, if your family likes bacon.

Put in a greased casserole dish (I use my lasagne dish), top with more grated cheese and bacon bits.

If you like green onions or chives you can add them too the spuds too.

Cover with plastic and foil. Refrigerate over night, then freeze up to two weeks.

Take out of the freezer the night before. Make sure it is fully thawed and bake in 350 oven until puffed in the middle and the cheese has bubbled and browned a bit.

Tastes like stuffed baked potatoes.

You could probably do it in the crock pot instead of baking in the oven, but the cheese on top will not brown or bubble. I find it cooks up in the time I am resting the turkey and making gravy.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:25 AM

I put hot boiling water in my crock pot and turn it on high about a hour or more before adding potatoes. ( I do this so my crock pot is very hot when I add the mashed potatoes later) I boil and mash my potatoes and season them. Then I pour out the boiling water in the crock pot and threw it away. I then add the mashed potatoes. I only want the crock pot to keep them warm so I do this about a hour before everyone arrives. I also turn the crock pot on low after adding the potatoes. ( When I do this I don't add as much milk as I normally would. But I like my mashed potatoes more stiff then some people)
Old 11-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the explanation, grandmahoney! I think I'll try this for Christmas. It's always hard to be making gravy, carving the meat and mashing potatoes all at the same time right when it's serving time, and keeping them all hot.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Thanks for the explanation, grandmahoney! I think I'll try this for Christmas. It's always hard to be making gravy, carving the meat and mashing potatoes all at the same time right when it's serving time, and keeping them all hot.
Assembly line! I was making gravy, DS was carving turkey, DD was carving ham, DGS was mashing potatoes, all in one row. DGD was making punch, and another was getting out sides across the room. New DIL kept the dishes done up - she's a keeper. SIL collected crock pots from around the house. We only had sixteen for dinner this year, with five more for dessert, but it still takes a village.
I have to transport mashed potatoes tomorrow. Thank you for reminding me to use a crockpot.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM

I have put potatoes in the crockpot for ages now. One less last minute thing to do.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Here's how Rachel Ray keeps mashed potatoes warm. I forgot to try this yesterday but will try the next time I make mashed potatoes.

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/tips/...giving_dinner/
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 AM

I did my potatoes in the crockpot this year and will do it again!! So nice to make them before the rush and know they'll be nice and warm. I made he potatoes that you can put in the refrigerator the night before and then finish the next day, but I will probably just do regular potatoes at Christmas and keep them warm.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:55 AM

I have memories of the ladies in our family mashing potatoes in the cooking kettle and then setting that kettle in a cake pan of hot water. It was kept warm in the oven.