Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy Peeling Hardcooked Eggs >

Easy Peeling Hardcooked Eggs

Easy Peeling Hardcooked Eggs

Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I will try the salt. Very fresh eggs are hard to peel.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM

I finally asked a couple of my friends, both of which have lived on farms with chickens, how to hard boil eggs so you can peel them easily. Both said your eggs needed to be 3 to 5 days old, (that's not too hard, since most of us buy them from the grocery store), start them in cold water and let them come to a boil. Turn off the heat or take them off the burner, put a lid on them and let them sit for about 15 to 20min. in the hot water, (that's if they are large eggs, smaller eggs would be a little bit less time). Then drain the water off and put ice cubes on them and let them sit and cool all the way down. I've been doing this ever since and haven't had any problems peeling them.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amma View Post
With many making deviled eggs for the holidays I thought I would put this tip up. Add 2 tablespoons of salt to your water to make your eggs peel easier.

I had tried this before and it did not work. On a cooking show today, they said most people only use a pinch of salt, and that is not enough to do the trick and they got irritated that it didn't work. So I gave it a try and wow!!! those eggs peeled soooooo easy and looked so nice!!!
BUT ,then you can't use the good water for plants, I'll stick to my own method and take eggs out of water ,run cold over banging eggs against sink as I do------RESULT, perfectly peeled egg.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

The only thing I've found that works consistently is the age of the egg. The older the egg the easier it will peel. I did find a tip the other day that I love. If you have an electric kettle with an auto shutoff, fill it up with cold water and put your eggs inside. Let it boil and shut off and leave eggs for 15 minutes. They were perfect. Because most people don't catch them before they really get boiling hard they are overcooked. This way you cannot overcook.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Thank you so much for this tip. I will try this the next time I make deviled eggs.