Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fajitas >

Fajitas

Fajitas

Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 AM

Okay! I'll try and post (new to me) just call me chicken little (LOL) I love salsa, TexMex, etc Spi - cy! Stay tuned. Get that food processor ready OR get that chef knife honed - it's all in the wrist.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 AM

Linda's Salsa: This is my favorite: all ingredients are used raw. Wash all your vegetables well, yes I use diluted dish soap!

Yield: Approx 1/2 gallon
  1. Tomatoes: (8)
Experiment - a combination of varieties is good. You will experience a more interesting flavor
Roma tomatoes have much less juice
Some heirloom type give interesting flavors and yes, colors. I do not peal or seed the tomatoes.

Use 8 tomatoes (combination of your choice)
Quarter cut then rough chop in food processor
Pour into large serving bowl.
  1. Garlic: 4-6 or more cloves (add to tomatoes in processor).
  1. 1 large Sweet Onion - yellow/red combination
rough chop then pulse in food processor.
Pour into large serving bowl.
  1. Add juice of 1 lime ( microwave lime for about 15 seconds and you'll get much more juice.)
  1. 4-8 Tomatillos' depends on size and how much of the tangy zest you like of these little green gems. Cut in half and rough chop and add to mixture. (smaller & firm are the best)
  1. 2-4 jalapenos seeded. Or serrano's depends on the heat you want Chopped very fine.
  1. Hint: you can add some roasted green pepper or pepper of your choice. Blister the skins put in brown paper sack and let 'sweat' then peal the skin off, seed, chop and add to mixture. If you do it on the grill you'll get a nice smoked flavor.
  1. At least 1cup or more of fresh chopped cilantro.
  1. 1-2 tablespoons ground cumin (opt) as it will change the color a little bit.
  1. Salt - afraid so. You be the judge but tomatoes need salt. I would use 1 tablespoon, maybe more. Try a course Kosher salt

Ya gotta taste this as you go along! Believe you me the taste just gets better especially if there are margaritas' involved. We like our salsa kinda chunky but you decide how fine or course you want your vegges.
Somebody get the flank steak going!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Yeah!! Get that steak going; I'll be there with some Coronas shortly!!
How about setting a bowl of that salsa aside just for me!! Sounds divine!

Jan in VA
Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 AM

I have used the McCormick fajita mix before and we really liked it. My DH and I love to eat fajita's at Chili's and when I am home cooking our own, I try and follow their way of doing things. I add my peppers and onions and cook without seasoning, add the sour cream etc. Guess we are going there this week for dinner. My cooking is somewhat stopped as I had hand surgery and am protecting it now.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your recipe Jan. Told hubby about it, he's like "let's make some now!", lol. It's raining and cold now.

I used to live in TX and remember HEB. Fondly remember buying beer in a six pack, white can with black letters that said "beer". This was many moons ago.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well it's 5:40 Saturday afternoon and my tummy is full of my homemade fajitas, thank you all very much for the idea!! I made enough to have another one in a few hours, YUM, YUM, YUM!!

Jan in VA