Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for a good recipe for Fajitas >

Looking for a good recipe for Fajitas

Looking for a good recipe for Fajitas

Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 AM

I've tried the packet of spices that you add to chicken or beef and I'm not real thrilled with them. I'm wondering if there's a marinade or something for the meat that would be better?? How do you make yours?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SandraD
I've tried the packet of spices that you add to chicken or beef and I'm not real thrilled with them. I'm wondering if there's a marinade or something for the meat that would be better?? How do you make yours?
I use Cajun spice..Just add to the meat before frying it..
Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Fajita marinade: Worchestershire sauce and fresh lime juice, about half and half. Marinate at least 30 minutes. Brush more marinade on meat as it grills.

I serve our award winning fajitas with sauteed onions and green peppers, sour cream on the tortilla, black beans seasoned with jalapenos, homemade salsa, and jack cheese available for those who want to add it.

Jan in VA (Learned about fajitas in TX)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM

When I lived in TX I would put the skirt steak in Italian Dressing and marinade it. Don't remember exactly what it is, but either the oil or vinegar assisted in tenderizing the meat.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Fajita marinade: Worchestershire sauce and fresh lime juice, about half and half. Marinate at least 30 minutes. Brush more marinade on meat as it grills.

I serve our award winning fajitas with sauteed onions and green peppers, sour cream on the tortilla, black beans seasoned with jalapenos, homemade salsa, and jack cheese available for those who want to add it.

Jan in VA (Learned about fajitas in TX)
This sounds like a winner! I will try it.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 AM

Thank you Jan:) Absolutely love fajitas, but, usually have to go out to eat them as that packaged stuff isn't quite as good. Am going to try your recipe this weekend....DELICIOUS:)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM

I use either chicken breasts, sliced thin (fajitas-Spanish for little belts) or beef, sliced the same way, sometimes I use shredded leftover roast, or shredded leftover deli chicken. The best is Zesty Italian dressing, pour 2-3 tablespoons into a skillet, get your skillet hot like you would for stir-fry. Saute strips of bell pepper and onion until slightly limp, remove from skillet, cook your meat the same way. You may have to add a little more dressing to the skillet. Watch closely because it cooks fast. I serve the fajitas with guacamole, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes and salsa in a tortilla. These are a real hit whenever I serve them.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM

I use Claude's fajita marinade. It is very spicy, so if you don't like yours hot then you need to add a little water to it.

I usually slice 3 large chicken breast thinly, and pour about 1/2 cup of the marinade and add 1/4 cup of water then stir it up and let set a couple of hours.

Put in hot cast iron skillet and cook until done. Remove from skillet. Then to the same skillet, I add a tablespoon of oil and saute my onions and bell peppers.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

I heard that one bottle of Italian dressing and a large can of pineapple juice make a great marinade. Cook the fajitas on the grill after that.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Here is one of my favorites: your favorite salsa,1/4C vegetable oil, divided; 2T chopped fresh cilantro, 1T chili powder, 2 large finely chopped garlic cloves, 1/2t ground cumin, 1/2t salt, 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 2 inch strips, 1C (1 small) red bell pepper strips, 1C (1 small) green bell pepper strips, 1C (1 small) sliced onion; flour tortillas, warmed, sour cream (optional)

Combine salsa, 2T oil, cilantro, chili powder, garlic, cumin and salt in large bowl. Add beef; cover. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

When meat has marinated, heat remaining vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until onions are slightly golden and peppers are tender. Add beef mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.

Serve in tortillas; top with sour cream if desired.