Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Flakey Knot Rolls Using Premade Pizza Dough >

Flakey Knot Rolls Using Premade Pizza Dough

Flakey Knot Rolls Using Premade Pizza Dough

Old 04-08-2024, 06:24 AM

Default Flakey Knot Rolls Using Premade Pizza Dough

I'm always amazed at the endless things that you can do with pre-made, fresh, pizza dough. You know, it's the kind that you find in the deli or bakery section. It's just a blob of dough that is ready for you to roll out and put your favorite toppings on. It costs around $2 at my local store. I love it because most of the messy and time consuming tasks are already done for you. I keep a couple of bags of the dough in my freezer at all times and I'm always making up new recipes to use it in. Here's one of my latest inventions.

Laminated Knot Rolls

1 pkg Pizza Dough
Flour for dusting work surface
4 T butter, salted, or unsalted
1 egg beaten with 1 T water
seeds for sprinkling on rolls
Take the dough out of the freezer and let it sit in its bag on the counter overnight. The next morning, it should have risen to double its size. Preheat oven to 375 degrees f. Remove the dough from its bag and place on a floured surface. Roll it out into a rectangle about 12 inches by 6 inches. Dot the dough with butter and fold the dough inward into thirds. Turn the dough a quarter turn and repeat the process. Roll the dough out again, dot with butter, fold and turn. Do this about four times. Roll the dough out again but make the rectangle bigger...about 16 inches by 8 inches. Take a sharp knife and cut crosswise, creating 1 inch wide by 8 inch long strips. Take each strip and twist it into a loose rope, then tie it into a knot. Place your knots on a greased cookie sheet and let them rise about an hour, or until they look light and puffy. Brush with a beaten egg mixed with a little water and sprinkle with seeds of your choice. Bake at a 375 degree oven until light, airy and golden brown.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:19 PM

You come up with some of the neatest cooking ideas.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:40 AM

Thanks Barb!

You can also make a sweet roll using the same technique. Just spread a little butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture on the rectangle, cut into 1 1/2 in strips and roll each strip into a bun. Put them in a greased cake pan so they are soft on the sides when they're done. You can also put berries, jam, etc in the rolls.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:21 PM

I cannot wait to try this recipe, I always have frozen pizza dough on hand.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks Barb!

You can also make a sweet roll using the same technique. Just spread a little butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture on the rectangle, cut into 1 1/2 in strips and roll each strip into a bun. Put them in a greased cake pan so they are soft on the sides when they're done. You can also put berries, jam, etc in the rolls.
What temp would I put my oven at and for how long?
Thank you so much for sharing
Old 04-12-2024, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
What temp would I put my oven at and for how long?
Thank you so much for sharing
I put my oven at 375 f. I'm sorry, but I can't remember how long...about twenty minutes perhaps.