Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Food Writing Errors >

Food Writing Errors

Food Writing Errors

Old 12-02-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Food Writing Errors

May I gripe for a moment?

I've been scouting around for recipes lately and I've seen so many misspellings and misinformation out there about foods. It's driving me crazy! It's one thing for a novice, or home cook to get things confused, but these editors and writers should know better. I've been seeing all kinds of recipes and ingredients that are just wrong. This is just one example.

There IS a difference between macarons and macaroons.

Macarons are those airy, French, delicate /pastries that are made in beautiful pastel colors, with a yummy, thin filling in the middle. (Here's a picture of macarons. https://fthmb.tqn.com/vRgql6HWqby7-tak11ZQi71UnwY=/1500x1000/filters:fill(auto,1)/macaron-cake-1500-58adae123df78c345bb453c3.jpg)

Macaroons are an American cookie, usually made from shredded coconut, piled mountain high and sometimes have a chocolate base layer or drizzle. (Here us a picture of macaroons. https://www.foodnetwork.com/holidays-and-parties/photos/top-holiday-cookies)

Here is the Food Network's explanation about the difference between the two cookies. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/baking-guide/macarons-vs-macaroons-whats-the-difference

Ironically, I've seen a lot of the errors about food on the Food Network. Go figger.

Getting down off of my soapbox.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Not sure what you see as wrong, Tropit.
This explanation of the two via the Food Network, makes sense to me.
But who am I to know?
Obviously, not one so knowledgeable as you are about such.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:44 AM

I see and hear a lot of bad grammar on the news and in print. New words have been added to the dictionary that I always thought were improper. I guess it's the way of the world we live in. Time is precious, so rather than fret and pick apart grammar, and spelling that I have no control over I just ignore it. I prefer to spend my time sewing, playing with grandchildren, reading, etc. and enjoy my life.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:19 AM

I see a lot of mistakes in online articles, even well known newspapers, and books. My theory is that there are no human proof-readers left, and it is all done by software. So if the article has "their" instead of "there", the software recognizes it as a word and can't figure out it is in the wrong context.

My pet peeve about recipes is when you get one that looks like this

milk eggs
butter sugar

with appropriate amounts, and then as you are reading the block of text under the ingredient list, there are more ingredients hidden in there. No, put all the ingredients up front so I can scan them and see if I have all of them.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Not sure what you see as wrong, Tropit.
This explanation of the two via the Food Network, makes sense to me.
But who am I to know?
Obviously, not one so knowledgeable as you are about such.
I'm not sure how to respond to that one...I'll be positive and take that as a compliment.

The Food Network explanation is correct, but they have recipes on their site that have switched "macarons" for "macaroons." It happens on other sites too for all kinds of various recipes.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to that one...I'll be positive and take that as a compliment.

The Food Network explanation is correct, but they have recipes on their site that have switched "macarons" for "macaroons." It happens on other sites too for all kinds of various recipes.
Tropit ... sorry about the misunderstanding. The way I read your post, I took it that you were saying the descriptions were wrong for macarons and macaroons.

"Real" macaroons I love, but the faux ones that were made with condensed milk, then baked were always just way too sweet and icky for me. Macarons, I have never had. Not sure I would like them, because of the crusty-ness and sweetness from the meringue base.

As for the wrong definitions ... sometimes the differences in our food names/descriptions are because of the regional differences that foods take on. Of course, I can't think of examples.

I guess a seasonal one, right now, might be stuffing and dressing. To me they are one and the same, but I know for some, they mean different things.

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-03-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:46 PM

I was taught the unless it was actually stuffed inside something -- it's just dressing. Still, I make my stuffing in a casserole dish! I use dry cubes and not crumbs or fresh bread.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:44 PM

The error that bother me the most, is when an amount stated in the body of the recipe suddenly morphs into a different amount in the directions.

There truly are no more educated human proof readers. I agree that Spellcheck has taken over, to the detriment of the English language. Yesterday I read a headline in a national paper that said "Mr. A plans to 'reign in overspending." Looking back, maybe that was the right word, because politicians certainly 'reign' where overspending is concerned.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Ginger, I burst out laughing at your post! Thanks for the giggle
And unfortunately I don't think it was a misspell!!!!
Old 12-03-2021, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Ginger, I burst out laughing at your post! Thanks for the giggle
And unfortunately I don't think it was a misspell!!!!
That made me laugh, too! So sadly true.