Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh corn on cob....frozen >

Fresh corn on cob....frozen

Fresh corn on cob....frozen

Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 AM

any attempt on my part to freeze corn on the husk has resulted in musty tasting corn. If you blanch it and cool it and then freeze it the cob retains moisture which can create bacteria. I cut the corn off the cob after blanching and cooling then freeze it- tastes just like out of the field but the mess is gone. I live on a dairy farm, so all the cobs and husks go right back to the barn for the cows to eat.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:40 PM

I have tried freezing corn on the cab and have never been happy with the result. It comes out mushy. I have frozen it in the husk after removing the silk and leaving the silk on. I have tried shucking it and blanching it. I have also tried shucking it and freezing it raw. We haven't been happy with any of them.
I alway cut if off the cob when I freeze it. I blanch it for 3 minutes an put it in ice water to cool it quickly. Then I cut it off the cob and put it in freezer bags. I just heat it and add butter to serve. The easiest way I have found to cut the corn off the cob is with an electric knife.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM

I have frozen a lot of corn on the cob. Always shucked, silked, blanched and cooled. I thought the blanching should be for 7 minutes and the cooling that long at least. I usually change the cooling water, too.
Tastes sooooo good in the winter.
A grandson showed us how to cook the corn cob in the microwave. Put a cob in the microwave as it comes from the field (or garden). After four minutes, take it out, cut the stem end off at least one inch from end. Grab the top of husks along with the silk and pull. All that stuff comes off easily and the corn is ready to butter and eat. You just need to make sure the bottom is cut off enough so that all the husks are loose. A few kernels are lost here, but the good corn makes up for that.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:52 AM

Well, I've decided to just take it out of the shucks & freeze in vacuum sealed bags. I've heard it will be good that way. We will see.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have frozen a lot of corn on the cob. Always shucked, silked, blanched and cooled. I thought the blanching should be for 7 minutes and the cooling that long at least. I usually change the cooling water, too.
Tastes sooooo good in the winter.
A grandson showed us how to cook the corn cob in the microwave. Put a cob in the microwave as it comes from the field (or garden). After four minutes, take it out, cut the stem end off at least one inch from end. Grab the top of husks along with the silk and pull. All that stuff comes off easily and the corn is ready to butter and eat. You just need to make sure the bottom is cut off enough so that all the husks are loose. A few kernels are lost here, but the good corn makes up for that.
This is a GREAT way to do ears.......it's on YouTube somewhere....
Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I may try this when corn is at market. I've tried decobbing and freezing...not so good. This may be the answer to my obsession with farm fresh corn! And got a vacuum storage thingy for Christmas, so that will be used too!
We did this once and put the cob in the middle opening of a Bundt pan...it worked slick at catching all the kernels. I don't remember the prep...if we blanched or not, because it was 35+ years ago! It tasted great in the winter.