Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fried Chicken >

Fried Chicken

Fried Chicken

Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM

How about Lipton's Tomato Cup Of Soup? We used to get it in our stores, but I've not looked in a long time.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM

There are lots of fried chicken recipes out there, but the real trick to good juicy fried chicken is to let the pieces soak for an hour or two in buttermilk. Something about the acids or whatever in the buttermilk that makes it oh-so-good. I even do this when baking chicken pieces in the oven. Yum, yum.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM

I have only fried chicken once, about 30 years ago. I have been thinking of trying it again sometime.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 PM

There is a tomato boullion product that is available in a jar. I think it is made by Knorr. That might be a good substitute, but I would use less because of the salt content.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks. I'll look for it.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
There are lots of fried chicken recipes out there, but the real trick to good juicy fried chicken is to let the pieces soak for an hour or two in buttermilk. Something about the acids or whatever in the buttermilk that makes it oh-so-good. I even do this when baking chicken pieces in the oven. Yum, yum.
I don't like the taste of buttermilk (except in baked goods or pancakes, etc.) and I can't stand the taste of the chicken which has been soaked in buttermilk. However, I do like sour cream. I know - that's wierd and I don't understand it either, but I wonder if I could use sour cream thinned out with a little milk for the chicken soak. The acidity should be about the same. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM

What, No flour or is flour an option?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM

[quote=Carol's Quilts]
Originally Posted by kathome
I don't like the taste of buttermilk (except in baked goods or pancakes, etc.) and I can't stand the taste of the chicken which has been soaked in buttermilk. However, I do like sour cream. I know - that's wierd and I don't understand it either, but I wonder if I could use sour cream thinned out with a little milk for the chicken soak. The acidity should be about the same. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?[/quote

If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:14 PM

luv-e wrote:

[quote=luv-e
If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!![/quote]

I don't like yogurt, either, but I know that many times people use yogurt when they don't have the sour cream called for in a recipe, so I guess if it works for one thing, it should work for another, right?

I'm gonna try it - maybe just on one chicken wing as an experiment. If it works, great. If I don't like it, I won't have lost much. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM

[quote=Carol's Quilts]luv-e wrote:

Originally Posted by luv-e
If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!![/quote

I don't like yogurt, either, but I know that many times people use yogurt when they don't have the sour cream called for in a recipe, so I guess if it works for one thing, it should work for another, right?

I'm gonna try it - maybe just on one chicken wing as an experiment. If it works, great. If I don't like it, I won't have lost much. Thanks for the suggestion!
Your Welcome.......I'm still looking for the cookbook. whewwww I do have alot lol lol