Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fried Chicken

Sure would like a recipe for old fashioned fried chicken-close to KFC if possible.

years ago I found one when I googled copy cat recipes.

I will be watching
    LC

Blog Entries
    I was looking for pressure cooker recipes last week and found one for KFC. I didn't try it. I just got my first pressure cooker and I was afraid to try it. Fixed ribs last night and burner them up, so I am going to stick to the recipes that came with the cooker for a while. Until I get used to it. If you try the recipe please let me know how they turn out. Just google pressure cooker recipes

Blog Entries
    I will be watching too. I've also been looking for one.

KFC Copycat recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon rosemary
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon powdered sage
    1 teaspoon powdered ginger
    1 teaspoon marjoram
    1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
    3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    3 tablespoons dry minced parsley
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    2 tablespoons garlic salt
    2 tablespoons onion salt
    2 tablespoons powdered chicken bouillon
    1 package instant tomato soup mix

PREPARATION:

There are actually 11 spices in the original spice mixture, but we needed an additional 3 ingredients were necessary to derive that same special flavor. Place all ingredients in blender with on/off speed for 3-4 minutes to pulverize, or rub through a fine strainer. Store in an airtight container so it will not lose potency.
    Skin chicken, if desired, and dip in water, and then coat with mixture. Fry slowly without a lid, to make it more crispy. Turn over several times and cook at least 20 minutes to assure doneness. Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Can you find the instant tomato soup mix where you are? I have this recipe and that is the only ingredience I can't find---anywhere.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    THANKS I want to try that recipe for sure !!!

I have looked for the instant tomato soup mix too, with no luck.....

Quote Originally Posted by jodyma
    I was looking for pressure cooker recipes last week and found one for KFC. I didn't try it. I just got my first pressure cooker and I was afraid to try it. Fixed ribs last night and burner them up, so I am going to stick to the recipes that came with the cooker for a while. Until I get used to it. If you try the recipe please let me know how they turn out. Just google pressure cooker recipes
    Please, please do NOT use a pressure cooker to fry chicken. It is really dangerous and you are inviting disaster. KFC uses a pressure FRYER, not a pressure COOKER. There is a vast difference.

How about Lipton's Tomato Cup Of Soup? We used to get it in our stores, but I've not looked in a long time.

Blog Entries
    There are lots of fried chicken recipes out there, but the real trick to good juicy fried chicken is to let the pieces soak for an hour or two in buttermilk. Something about the acids or whatever in the buttermilk that makes it oh-so-good. I even do this when baking chicken pieces in the oven. Yum, yum.

I have only fried chicken once, about 30 years ago. I have been thinking of trying it again sometime.

Blog Entries
    There is a tomato boullion product that is available in a jar. I think it is made by Knorr. That might be a good substitute, but I would use less because of the salt content.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'll look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    There are lots of fried chicken recipes out there, but the real trick to good juicy fried chicken is to let the pieces soak for an hour or two in buttermilk. Something about the acids or whatever in the buttermilk that makes it oh-so-good. I even do this when baking chicken pieces in the oven. Yum, yum.
    I don't like the taste of buttermilk (except in baked goods or pancakes, etc.) and I can't stand the taste of the chicken which has been soaked in buttermilk. However, I do like sour cream. I know - that's wierd and I don't understand it either, but I wonder if I could use sour cream thinned out with a little milk for the chicken soak. The acidity should be about the same. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

Blog Entries
    What, No flour or is flour an option?

[quote=Carol's Quilts]
    Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    I don't like the taste of buttermilk (except in baked goods or pancakes, etc.) and I can't stand the taste of the chicken which has been soaked in buttermilk. However, I do like sour cream. I know - that's wierd and I don't understand it either, but I wonder if I could use sour cream thinned out with a little milk for the chicken soak. The acidity should be about the same. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?[/quote

If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!!

luv-e wrote:

[quote=luv-e
    If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!![/quote]

I don't like yogurt, either, but I know that many times people use yogurt when they don't have the sour cream called for in a recipe, so I guess if it works for one thing, it should work for another, right?

I'm gonna try it - maybe just on one chicken wing as an experiment. If it works, great. If I don't like it, I won't have lost much. Thanks for the suggestion!

[quote=Carol's Quilts]luv-e wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!![/quote

I don't like yogurt, either, but I know that many times people use yogurt when they don't have the sour cream called for in a recipe, so I guess if it works for one thing, it should work for another, right?

I'm gonna try it - maybe just on one chicken wing as an experiment. If it works, great. If I don't like it, I won't have lost much. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Your Welcome.......I'm still looking for the cookbook. whewwww I do have alot lol lol

[quote=luv-e]
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
    luv-e wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by luv-e
    If I'm not mistaken Oprah's Chef use to soak the chicken in yogurt!!!!! I was good!!!!!!! Plain yogurt.... Then she baked it......... I have her cookbook and can't find it???? I have as many cookbooks as I do Quilting Books!!!!!! OMGoodness!!![/quote

Your Welcome.......I'm still looking for the cookbook. whewwww I do have alot lol lol
    I don't have her cookbook, but I found her chef's recipe (Art Smith) on her website:

http://www.oprah.com/food/Art-Smiths...nfried-Chicken

Hope it's what you're looking for.