Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fried Potatoes..need help >

Fried Potatoes..need help

Fried Potatoes..need help

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM

I need help from you good cooks out there.

I love fried potatoes but can't seem to get the hang of it. They stick to the pan and the crusty part is the best part.

What kind of potatoes do you use, and do you boil them first :?: :?: I need the proper method. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM

I don't boil mine first. What I do is to use a well seasoned cast iron skillet, with the emphasis on "well seasoned". ;)

Heat the skillet before adding any oil, and then heat the oil to about 375 degrees before adding the potatoes. I don't actually use a thermometer, the oil should sizzle and pop when you add the potatoes. It makes a mess, but don't cover the skillet, and don't add too many potatoes at one time. Walk away (but not too far!) and do something else in the kitchen and let those taters cook and brown before turning them.

Good luck! :)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
I don't boil mine first. What I do is to use a well seasoned cast iron skillet, with the emphasis on "well seasoned". ;)

Heat the skillet before adding any oil, and then heat the oil to about 375 degrees before adding the potatoes. I don't actually use a thermometer, the oil should sizzle and pop when you add the potatoes. It makes a mess, but don't cover the skillet, and don't add too many potatoes at one time. Walk away (but not too far!) and do something else in the kitchen and let those taters cook and brown before turning them.

Good luck! :)

What she said!

:thumbup:
Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 AM

What Charlee said! The most important part is LEAVE THEM ALONE until they brown on one side. It feels like it takes forever. Wash dishes while they cook, so you can't mess with them.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 AM

I cut my potatoes into little dices like squares. Put in some oil in a non stick skillet and add potatoes, put the lid on with med high heat. I also put in onions. fry for about 5 minutes then turn with a spatula and recover. You can also slice the potatoes fairly thin but they will cook faster.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

I use the electric skillet with the cover on turned down lower so the potatoes get done without everything else (the little ones) browning too much. In the beginning, the temperature is turned up higher to do a quick browning on both sides and then turned downed for the final cook with the lid on. And I return in 15-20 min. and they are all done and wonderful! I do the same steps when making french fries. The french fries are cut like ranch fries. Both ways I make sure there is enough oil in the skillet without it being too much or too little. I use Russett potatoes, the baking ones, and never boil them first. Just slice and place in the hot oil. It's simple.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 AM

Thank you everyone. Maybe that has been my problem..trying to hurry things. With your help I think I will be successful next time. You always come through for me. I appreciate that so much.:)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM

My Mamaw always said

Fried taters will not rush
If you do, you just have mush
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 AM

I forgot to say that we like Old Bay Seasoning sprinkled on the fries for a nice twang. You could do that on fried potatoes too to kick it up a notch! On the fries, I leave the skins on. Just make sure you scrub the potatoes well before using as the E. coli can lurk on those potatoes that were handled by people with unwashed hands.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:55 AM

I toss mine in cornmeal before I fry them, gives them an extra crunch. Otherwise....go go cast iron skillet!