Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Frozen Roast >

Frozen Roast

Frozen Roast

Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM
mac

Default Frozen Roast

A couple of decades ago, when I used to work, I would put a roast that was still frozen in the oven and bake it on 250 degrees overnight and in the morning it would be done. You have to wrap it a couple of times in aluminum foil to seal it really well and it would come out so tender that it would melt in your mouth. I usually did this when I forgot to thaw it the day before. Doing it this way, of course, never gave you the different degrees of doneness like medium rare in the middle and done on the ends, as it would be done well all the way through. The tradeoff doing it this way was that it would be juicy all the way through and never dry.

I had to leave this morning early and I forgot to thaw the roast for dinner. Darn. Since I don't have an Instant Pot yet, and they say you can't do a frozen roast in a slow cooker, I decided to go the old route. My husband was home and so I didn't have to worry about fire or anything. However, this time I didn't get the tender juicy roast that I used to get. It was tough and dry and had no flavor whatsoever, even though I did season the roast. I can't think of what I did wrong or different. It was the same type of roast that I used to do it on.

Has anyone tried cooking a roast like this with good results? If so, can you tell me what I did wrong?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:25 PM

I haven't done a beef roast, but I've done pork butt and corned beef by putting on a rack with liquid underneath (beer for the corned beef), wrapping it totally - rack and all, and slowly cooking for at least 6 hours. Both come out perfect so I think a beef roast would, too. Very tender and the pork browned nicely - the corned beef didn't, so I topped it with brown sugar and dijon mustard and broiled it for a few minutes.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM

What cut of beef was it? That can make a difference. Also the amount of fat in meat has changed dramatically over time.

We braise meat quite often, always use tough cuts, Chuck, Blade, Cross Rib, all liquid, onions and other veggies seal up in the cast iron Dutch oven, it is always good. Often from frozen.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 AM

I have actually put a frozen roast in my slow cooker and ended up 8 hours later with a moist, flavorful meal.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

I think the meat has changed over the years. Probably what they feed the animals. We notice the chickens are different. All those plumped up breasts.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I think the meat has changed over the years. Probably what they feed the animals. We notice the chickens are different. All those plumped up breasts.
I feel the same about the meats today. Also they are 'fast produced' and that has got to have something to do with it.
I will not buy beef from the stores now, only from a farmer.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Default Frozen roast

I just did a frozen beef roast in my slow cooker. I added a half package of dry onion soup mix and one can of cream of mushroom soup. It makes its own gravy and was wonderful. It took about 7 hours on low.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 AM
mac

I have read on many websites that it is not safe to put frozen meat in a slow cooker because it does not come up to temperature fast enough and therefore can produce foodborne bacteria in it and make you sick. Here is a website that talks about it and down towards the bottom of the article are the resources of her information.

http://www.slowcookercentral.com/slo...-its-not-safe/

In the oven I cook at 250 degrees, which is a much higher temperature than a slow cooker.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM

I put frozen roasts (both beef and pork) in the crock pot all the time. If I am going to be home I start it on high and turn it down to low after about 4 hours. If not home, I set for high and leave it there. Turns out great!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM

I put frozen roasts in my crock=pot all the time.
However I think the tenderness has a lot to do with the cut of meat.
Also I have better results with roasts from store A than Store B in my little town, even when buying the same cut.