Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Frozen Roast

mac

Frozen Roast

A couple of decades ago, when I used to work, I would put a roast that was still frozen in the oven and bake it on 250 degrees overnight and in the morning it would be done. You have to wrap it a couple of times in aluminum foil to seal it really well and it would come out so tender that it would melt in your mouth. I usually did this when I forgot to thaw it the day before. Doing it this way, of course, never gave you the different degrees of doneness like medium rare in the middle and done on the ends, as it would be done well all the way through. The tradeoff doing it this way was that it would be juicy all the way through and never dry.

I had to leave this morning early and I forgot to thaw the roast for dinner. Darn. Since I don't have an Instant Pot yet, and they say you can't do a frozen roast in a slow cooker, I decided to go the old route. My husband was home and so I didn't have to worry about fire or anything. However, this time I didn't get the tender juicy roast that I used to get. It was tough and dry and had no flavor whatsoever, even though I did season the roast. I can't think of what I did wrong or different. It was the same type of roast that I used to do it on.

Has anyone tried cooking a roast like this with good results? If so, can you tell me what I did wrong?

I haven't done a beef roast, but I've done pork butt and corned beef by putting on a rack with liquid underneath (beer for the corned beef), wrapping it totally - rack and all, and slowly cooking for at least 6 hours. Both come out perfect so I think a beef roast would, too. Very tender and the pork browned nicely - the corned beef didn't, so I topped it with brown sugar and dijon mustard and broiled it for a few minutes.

Blog Entries
    What cut of beef was it? That can make a difference. Also the amount of fat in meat has changed dramatically over time.

We braise meat quite often, always use tough cuts, Chuck, Blade, Cross Rib, all liquid, onions and other veggies seal up in the cast iron Dutch oven, it is always good. Often from frozen.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I have actually put a frozen roast in my slow cooker and ended up 8 hours later with a moist, flavorful meal.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I think the meat has changed over the years. Probably what they feed the animals. We notice the chickens are different. All those plumped up breasts.
    Alyce

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I think the meat has changed over the years. Probably what they feed the animals. We notice the chickens are different. All those plumped up breasts.
    I feel the same about the meats today. Also they are 'fast produced' and that has got to have something to do with it.
    I will not buy beef from the stores now, only from a farmer.

Frozen roast

I just did a frozen beef roast in my slow cooker. I added a half package of dry onion soup mix and one can of cream of mushroom soup. It makes its own gravy and was wonderful. It took about 7 hours on low.
    Mary Jane Flikke

mac
    I have read on many websites that it is not safe to put frozen meat in a slow cooker because it does not come up to temperature fast enough and therefore can produce foodborne bacteria in it and make you sick. Here is a website that talks about it and down towards the bottom of the article are the resources of her information.

http://www.slowcookercentral.com/slo...-its-not-safe/

In the oven I cook at 250 degrees, which is a much higher temperature than a slow cooker.

I put frozen roasts (both beef and pork) in the crock pot all the time. If I am going to be home I start it on high and turn it down to low after about 4 hours. If not home, I set for high and leave it there. Turns out great!

I put frozen roasts in my crock=pot all the time.
    However I think the tenderness has a lot to do with the cut of meat.
    Also I have better results with roasts from store A than Store B in my little town, even when buying the same cut.

I put frozen meat in the crock pot all the time. I've never had an issue with it not being moist. I use soups or broth and seasonings. I figure if it hasn't killed us in almost 50 years, I don't have to worry! I've never done one in the oven that way.

Have any of you ever had a crockpot crack from putting frozen meat in it? My first one did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    Have any of you ever had a crockpot crack from putting frozen meat in it? My first one did.
    If you place the roast on top of carrots or paotatoes or both, it will not touch the bottom as it comes up to heat, and will reduce the chance of hot/cold cracking of the crock. The crock broke because parts of it got hot, and the rest or it stayed cold because it was touching the frozen meat.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Hmmm, guess I missed the memo. I nearly always use a frozen roast and put it in the crockpot. I've done this for 40 years or more. It comes out tender and juicy.

Yep--I'm another frozen roast into the crockpot person. I chop onions,celery, carrot and garlic for the bottom. (Here's another hint that works well--puree the chopped veggies before you put them in the crockpot and they become part of the gravy. This is especially good if you take the cooked meat out and cut into pieces like stew, return it to the pot with par-boiled potatoes and any other veg you like)

As far as the tough roast--was it completely sealed in its cooking pan? That's the only reason I can come up with.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

mac
    I did seal it in two separate rolls of aluminum foil. Maybe next time I will put it into a cooking bag, instead.

I never thought about meat that comes from different stores as being more tender than another. I always figure that a rump roast is the same in all stores. Maybe there is something to that. Since we have so many stores here, I think it would be hard to tell.

To all who wrote that meat is different than it was years ago, I think you are right. Meat does seem different than it was only ten years ago. Some cuts are better and some are not as good as they used to be.

There is one suggestion that I can make for everyone for using non-tender pieces of meat (beef, chicken, or pork) is that you can use a meat tenderizer known as a "Jaccard" Simply Better Meat Tenderizer. Here is one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3G0F6...524092549&sr=4

It does a great job of tenderizing meat by poking small holes in the meat and it tenderizes it beautifully. When I bought mine about 10+ years ago, it cost me $40 and I see now that the price has gone down considerably to just a little more than half of the original price. This gadget had been recommended in a steak restaurant article on how steak houses made there tender steaks even more tender. Since I love steaks and can't really afford them I thought I would try it on less tender cuts of meat, so I think it was a great buy at the cost I paid. Over the years, it has more than paid for itself.

I also put frozen chuck roasts in the crock pot for 8 hours and it is so moist and juicy. The family has enjoyed it for years. Sometimes, I throw in carrots, potatoes and an onion--meal in one pot. Yum!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Blog Entries
    I do frozen meat in my crock pot all the time comes out great . I love carrots in there too......

When we were n the military and lived in Asia any meat we got was or had been frozen and I cooked roasts from frozen all the time. The result was always a tender, flavorable roast. I don't remember how long I roasted it per pound or if I wrapped it but it always turned out well. I haven't had to roast a frozen one for years but wouldnt hesitate to do it again if I forgot to take the roast out of the freezer.
    Jan

There are also different grades of meat. I never which is the highest. I think it is the choice but could be the prime. Naturally the highest grade is also the highest price.

Add me to the list of putting frozen meat in the crock pot with no issues and have been doing it for decades. I also cook my stuffing in the turkey and not seperate despite all the warnings of food borne illness. Hope I haven't gone and jynxed myself now.

I have heard of another way to cook roast in the oven but never tried it and I believe it has to be thawed for this method. You put the roast in at high heat for 15 or 20 minutes then turn the oven off and don't open the door. It is supposed to come out a perfect medium rare to rare in the middle every time. Unfortunately I can't remember how long you leave it in the cooling oven. I do believe the technique was even posted here once.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Add me to the list of putting frozen meat in the crock pot with no issues and have been doing it for decades. I also cook my stuffing in the turkey and not seperate despite all the warnings of food borne illness. Hope I haven't gone and jynxed myself now.

I have heard of another way to cook roast in the oven but never tried it and I believe it has to be thawed for this method. You put the roast in at high heat for 15 or 20 minutes then turn the oven off and don't open the door. It is supposed to come out a perfect medium rare to rare in the middle every time. Unfortunately I can't remember how long you leave it in the cooling oven. I do believe the technique was even posted here once.
    Perhaps you are refering to cooking a standing rib roast.

Blog Entries
    I just put a frozen chuck roast in the crock pot last Sat. I seasoned it with a little beef broth and a pack of Hidden Valley ranch dressing. After 8 hours it just fell apart and we ate it on rools.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

We buy a half a cow every year and the butcher cuts the roasts for us. One he labels Pikes Peaks roast is the best in a slow cooker. I haven't bought grocery store beef in decades so all I know is English, rump, and chuck roasts.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.