Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fruitcakes! >

Fruitcakes!

Fruitcakes!

Old 11-20-2017, 04:13 AM

This is as close to a fruit cake I've ever made. It's handed down from my paternal Mam Maw & I usually only make it during Holidays....
~ Orange Candy Slice Cake ~
2 1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 c. butter
2 1/2 c. flour
1 lb. orange candy slices (cut up)
2 c. nuts, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients very well. Pour into greased loaf pan & bake 2 hrs. at 350.

Last edited by ljptexas; 11-20-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

The orange slice cake is really good ! Use to make every year-not so much now.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM

It's a shame no one will share their recipes with us. O(
Old 12-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Yes, I make a rich fruit Christmas cake every year, the recipe is from a cook book, and the recipe may vary in some ways year to year depending on the cook book. But most of them are vaguely similar, and I will vary the 'mix' according to the ingredients that I have to hand, but generally as long as the weight/volume of the fruit/nuts/candied peel/cherries etc is the total amount required, whether I have more of one, or less of another, the cake turns out ok. I think the overnight soaking of all of the fruit in rum/whiskey/brandy or other alcoholic beverage is key, along with 'feeding' the cooked cake with one of the above preferences, once or twice before Christmas.

This year, I used a similar recipe, but baked it 'low and slow'; less risk of the cake getting too dark, more control of the cooking, and less baking parchment used - just one layer of lining, with no brown paper tied around outside of the tin. I did not think it would work, and was fully prepared for a repeat performance, but it turned out beautifully. I have 'fed' it twice, and will cover it with marzipan next week, and then some marzipan stars/snowflake/fruit decorations. I am not fond of royal icing, neither are my family.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:38 AM

I have an Ice Box Fruitcake that is very good and NO BAKING. Got from MIL back in 1968. I have tried to copy and paste it here, but I get a message that my text is too long. I doesn't look any longer than others have posted so don't know what my problem is.....
If you are interested in this recipe or can tell me how to post it, I would be glad to share it.
Murphy
Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 AM

Nerys, thank you so much for posting your recipe. It is the type I have been searching for. ;-)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Some recipes from a favourite cook

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...christmas-cake

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...christmas-cake

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...mincemeat-cake

I will add more brandy or other alcohol beverage if needed for soaking. The fruit needs to be nice and plump (and is whatever is in the cupboard), and sometimes I will have to leave it longer than the time specified, if something else needs my attention. I use whatever I have in the cupboard: whiskey/ sloe gin/ rum/brandy, or a mix of all. I will mix the nuts up too e.g. more almonds/hazelnuts/brazil nuts to make up the quantity specified.
The alcohol and sugar helps to maintain the long life of the cake; the fruit can be soaked in black tea or juice too, but I don't think the cake will keep as long.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 AM

Hi LavenderBlue . The fruitcake has been fed weekly now with 2 tablespoons cream sweet sherry.I have brand Osborne sherry as that is affordable price here in EU. You can do different dried fruits as long as the quantity total is same as in recipe. Success with the baking of it.
Tip: If you have leftover dried fruits and some frozen puff pastry you can bake mini pastries I do mine squares 5 cm.
Use some parchment baking paper on baking tray.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Fruitcake season 2018, who is baking this year?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Okay guys and girls- I promise to get out my Mom's recipe this year! It's fantastic- and people who don't like fruitcake love it.
Will get it out today!