Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Air fryers

Air fryers

Has anyone bought & used an air fryer? How do you like using it? If so, what brand?
    Thinking about buying one....
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I don't have one but if you type in "air fryer" in the search box you will see several threads here that have discussed them. They sound great to me. Happy hunting!

I just bought one last week, and looking forward to trying lots of different stuff in it. i (read this in all caps) hate the grease mess in the kitchen that normal frying makes. I also don't want to gain back any of the weight I've worked so hard to get rid of.

I have one and find it great for some things and not for others, you just have to use it to see which items work best for you.

I have one and love it for 'frying' fish coated with a smear of mustard and then coated in ground pork rinds. Turned out so flakey and tender with the first side being crunchy, second side good but not as crispy. This site has the recipe, https://thisoldgal.com/
    I also make and freeze 6" pizzas, when thawed they fit perfect in the basket, heat until top is melted again. I got mine on Amazon, I always check the reviews first.

About three weeks ago we bought a Farberware Air Fryer at Walmart. I fried chicken breasts twice and french fries. I turn the breasts half way through to crisp both sides. Stirred french fries half way through also.

Daughter has one and her 16 YO Son loves using it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just bought one that QVC had on sale and can't wait to get it. I am clearing a spot on my counter for it so I will use it. I am afraid that if I put it away, I won't get it out and use it. I am getting rid of some extraneous items on my counter to make it a space.

I have been toying with the idea for a while - but I have the big round NuWave oven that was so popular years ago and was advertised to do the same thing. So if anyone is making the switch I would like to know if they are equivalent. My friend has the air fryer and loves it - actually she has both and still uses them. Not sure how - but the NuWave food does not stink up the house like frying does. Clean up is a lot easier too. So I will keep watching this thread for information.

Janie, the rule of thumb from the clutter killers is nothing on the counter you don't use at least 3 or 4 times a week. For me that would be the microwave and hot water pot. Which tells me I Do have a spot for the air fryer, put the toaster away, I hardly eat bread anymore.

Our first outing last night was chicken dipped in egg and breaded with cajun flavored flour.
    At 30 minutes he said he was sure he was going to have to put the results in the trash.
    I asked if he'd turned it and he said yes, but he opened it up to turn again and the bottom
    s were nicely browned and crispy. so he cooked it 10 more minutes for a total of 40. And it tasted very good.
    What I should have done was brush the wire bottom with oil, I had to soak it over night to get it clean.

Tonight I've asked for fish sticks and I'm not brushing with oil because the breading touches the screen, not wet stuff.

I bought a GoWiseUS air fryer. Recipe book says to use parchment paper. Would wax paper or whatever be used? 1st fries didn't come out too well. Didn't turn at half way.... I don't have a lot of counter space, so when not in use it goes on top of fridge...
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

were they frozen or fresh cut? My little recipe book says tp soak fresh cuts in cold water for 20+ minutes.

I have the Cuisinart Toaster/Convection and regular oven/Air fryer combination machine and absolutely love it. I got rid of my toaster oven and use this for toast, making pizzas air fry, re-heating most anything with convection bake, reviving take out that tastes better than when purchased, and roasting veggies and meats using air fry or convection bake. It depends on the food. I wanted a multi use appliance and have not used my oven very much since I got the Cuisinart. It can be found at Kohls, Amazon, Bed Bath Beyond, and many other places.
    I dislike single use appliances that take up valuable kitchen real estate so I wanted one to take the place of the toaster oven and do much more than toast and I got it when I found the Cuisinart.

I just saw several commercials for the Ninja Air Fryer and am Tempted...love new gadgets.

I saw a reveiw of the Ninja Air Fryer, I too was tempted......

Are you saying that a convection oven can do crisp foods like an air fryer?

My friends are mixed about their air fryers. At least one loves it, she recently had her gall bladder removed and is not tolerating fats at all, the air fryer lets her have her french fries and they cook a lot of other things in it as well, using it probably every other day. Another one returned hers, too big and not happy with the results. The others are more "it's ok and I should use it more".