Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Air Fryers

Air Fryers

I am thinking about buying a fryer and I am trying to decide between a 'traditional fryer' or 'air fryer'. I keep seeing 'air fryers advertised but know nothing about them or anyone who has one in order to ask. If any of you ladies or gents have one I would appreciate any input or advise you would share.

My biggest questions regarding the 'air fryer' are:
    Does the food come out tasting like traditional fried foods?
    Can you fry doughnuts in one?
    Can you cook enough fried chicken at one time to feed 4 adults?
    Is there a brand you recommend and why?

Thank you!

My husband surprised me with one at Christmas last year. He wanted one, lol.

No, the food does not taste like traditional fried food. It's like the cauliflower pizza crust/bread sticks. It's not bad, but it's not the "real" thing.

Sorry, we've never tried to do doughnuts, so I can't say how they taste. There are lots of recipes for them on Pinterest.

I assume that they come in different sizes. Ours seems pretty big to me - it takes up a LOT of room. Just measured it - 15" high, 15" deep (front to back) and 12" deep.

I'd see if any friends have one that you might borrow, or bring ingredients to use in making something at their home. Personally, I don't like it and, had I spent the $ on it, would be disappointed. But DH bought it, and he likes it. It gets used once a month or so for french fries (I really don't like them) or wings (pretty good, but I think that regardless of how they are cooked, they are fairly unhealthy). I do like oven fried potatoes and oven fried chicken, so would rather go that way than have a little-used, cupboard hogging appliance.

How does an Air Fryer do with popcorn? I've made Microwave popcorn and it is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
    My husband surprised me with one at Christmas last year. He wanted one, lol.

No, the food does not taste like traditional fried food. It's like the cauliflower pizza crust/bread sticks. It's not bad, but it's not the "real" thing.

Sorry, we've never tried to do doughnuts, so I can't say how they taste. There are lots of recipes for them on Pinterest.

I assume that they come in different sizes. Ours seems pretty big to me - it takes up a LOT of room. Just measured it - 15" high, 15" deep (front to back) and 12" deep.

I'd see if any friends have one that you might borrow, or bring ingredients to use in making something at their home. Personally, I don't like it and, had I spent the $ on it, would be disappointed. But DH bought it, and he likes it. It gets used once a month or so for french fries (I really don't like them) or wings (pretty good, but I think that regardless of how they are cooked, they are fairly unhealthy). I do like oven fried potatoes and oven fried chicken, so would rather go that way than have a little-used, cupboard hogging appliance.

I was afraid that the food just wasn't up to par. I too like 'oven-fried' potatoes and chicken but I really don't expect them to taste like they were fried. I would, however, expect something that is called a fryer to produce food that taste like it was fried. Not food that is cooked and happens to have a crispy/crunchy outer layer.

The detailed information you provided has been more than I could have hoped for. Thank you so much!

Blog Entries
    I have to add my 2 cents! I have an air fryer and LOVE it! When I make fries - white or sweet potato - I cut the potato up, shake it with a little olive oil and whatever seasonings I want and put them in the air fryer! I think they are fabulous - actually taste like potato! We did a taste test - my husband thinks he is always right - he fried fries and I air fried fries - he admitted mine were much better! We do things like onion rings, mozzarella sticks, quick stuff like that. We use ours more when the grands are here, but I love it!! Never did donuts - not sure how that would work?? Maybe I should try it today??

I have a fryer and recently made 6 chicken drumsticks after coating them in my homemade shake/bake. I really like them, I live alone and have made chicken nuggets also which turned out very good.

I bake donuts and can not picture how to go about making them in the air fryer. You would need something for them to keep their shape. Am seeing new fryers that do everything, air fry, bake and whatever. But you are paying a lot more for those extra features.

Blog Entries

air fryer

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Quilter View Post
    I am thinking about buying a fryer and I am trying to decide between a 'traditional fryer' or 'air fryer'. I keep seeing 'air fryers advertised but know nothing about them or anyone who has one in order to ask. If any of you ladies or gents have one I would appreciate any input or advise you would share.

My biggest questions regarding the 'air fryer' are:
    Does the food come out tasting like traditional fried foods?
    Can you fry doughnuts in one?
    Can you cook enough fried chicken at one time to feed 4 adults?
    Is there a brand you recommend and why?

Thank you!
    If you get one spend the extra money and get the air fryer oven and not the plain old air fryer. you will not be disappointed .

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    I have a fryer and recently made 6 chicken drumsticks after coating them in my homemade shake/bake. I really like them, I live alone and have made chicken nuggets also which turned out very good.

I bake donuts and can not picture how to go about making them in the air fryer. You would need something for them to keep their shape. Am seeing new fryers that do everything, air fry, bake and whatever. But you are paying a lot more for those extra features.
    Please share your recipe for baked donuts. Thank you.

I love lmy air fryer. We don't usually eat fried food, but I use it all the time. I cook small roasts, biscuits, hamburgers, steak, reheat pizza, sandwiches, sausages, tator tots, broccli tots, cauliflower tots. The last come out very crisp and so good. It does not heat up the kitchen and mine has shelves and a blower. I got it at Wallmart for $129. which was less than on TV and I did not have to pay shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
    Please share your recipe for baked donuts. Thank you.
    I use the recipe that came with the donut pan or you can use a cake mix if you want. Also a search should bring up more recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    I love lmy air fryer. We don't usually eat fried food, but I use it all the time. I cook small roasts, biscuits, hamburgers, steak, reheat pizza, sandwiches, sausages, tator tots, broccli tots, cauliflower tots. The last come out very crisp and so good. It does not heat up the kitchen and mine has shelves and a blower. I got it at Wallmart for $129. which was less than on TV and I did not have to pay shipping.
    Have not heard of broccoli or cauliflower tots, please fill me in. Do you make them yourself or buy them.
    Air fryers are the new age toaster ovens.

Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    Sent you a pm, any info will be greatly appreciated.

I have a Bella Air Fryer and I hate it. I have to put water in the bottom, it will not cook on 400 degrees because it will set off the fire alarms. Even at 350, it sets off the fire alarms. I want to replace it with a new one, but there are so many out there it's confusing. Right now I am looking at the Power Air Fryer Oven Elite. Does anyone have one of these and what do you think about it? I am single and do not need a large capacity.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I have an air fryer and use it most everyday. I have cooked everything in it from chicken wings to cheese cake. It does not have the traditional taste of fried foods but it doesn’t have the fat of fried foods. I think it was a healthy wise buy.

Marti1943, what make/model of fryer/cooker do you have. Am looking into upgrading mine to do more things, I live alone as well but I would like to do more foods in one.

DH bought the new Brio Nuwave air fryer (as seen on tv) for me for Christmas. I've never used one or thought I'd want it. I have been using it the last two days a lot. The grands were with me and they want fries, pizza rolls, nuggets, poppers etc for lunch. The air fryer has worked great and everything is crispy and hot though out. I made our favorite fruit turnovers in it tonight. They puffed up big and tender. So far I'm a fan. It says it will boil, bake, grill, and toast. It will be fun to see what it can do.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.